- Text Size +

Brooke sat by Alissa’s bed three days later praying that her cousin would wake up. She tried talking to her, pleading with her, praying to God and anyone else who could help her cousin. She was so tired and afraid that her cousin would never wake up.

 

AJ came into the room with two cups of coffee and asked if there was any change in her condition. Brooke shook her head no and her eyes filled with tears.

 

AJ sighed. “Why don’t you go home and get some sleep? I’ll stay and I promise not to leave her for a second.”

 

“No.” Brooke said weakly. “She needs to see someone when she wakes up. She needs someone here who cares about her.”

 

AJ was stunned. He stood there, furious that he was going to have this argument with Brooke again. “You don’t think I care about her?” he said angrily.

 

Brooke didn’t want to fight with AJ anymore. “Look, I appreciate the fact that you sit here every day with me but you don’t have to sit here because you feel bad for her or for me. “

 

AJ just glared at her.

 

“I don’t feel bad for her and I definitely don’t feel bad for you! You barely know me. How can you sit there and tell me that I don’t care about her?”

 

“How can you sit here and tell me you do care about her? You’ve known her for what, like 3 months? How much time have you actually spent together during that time? A day, an afternoon? You have no right saying you care about her when you barely know her!” Brooke’s voice started to rise and the nurse came in to see what was going on.

 

“Please don’t fight in here around her. We don’t know if she can hear you or not, but if she can, she doesn’t need to be listening to you argue. If you two cannot get along, one of you will have to leave. Do you both understand me?” the nurse said sternly, looking from Brooke to AJ back again.

 

As the nurse left, Brooke turned to AJ. “Please do me a favor and leave. Go home and really think about how you feel. Give it a day and then if you still feel like you care about her, then you can come back and maybe I’ll believe you.” she said quietly and then turned back around.

 

Seething, AJ walked over to Brooke and started to say something and then decided not to. He thought about what the nurse had said and he didn’t want his argument with her cousin to hurt Alissa in any way.  He picked up his jacket, turned, walked out of the room and out of the hospital.

------------------------------ 

Lucas came by about an hour later and asked Brooke where AJ went.  He was curious because AJ had barely left Alissa’s room for a minute over the course of the last 3 days.

 

“I sent him home.” Brooke said quietly.

 

“You did what?” Lucas said.

 

“He was fighting with me again and the nurse came in and yelled at us. He tried to tell me that he cares about my cousin. Can you believe that?” Brooke said getting agitated again.

 

Lucas thought carefully before he opened his mouth to speak again. “Believe him? Honestly Brooke, I can’t believe you.”

 

Brooke turned around and glared at him. “Excuse me?”

 

“Look, I love you but I have to be honest with you. You’ve been a witch to him and I can’t believe the way you’re acting.”

 

“What? You’re on his side?”

 

“No Brooke, I’m on your side.” Lucas sighed. “The problem is that the only side we should be on is Alissa’s. She needs everyone who cares about her around her.  Whether you believe him or not, AJ seems to really care about your cousin. He was devastated when she left and I swear I saw his heart break when he thought that she didn’t make it the other night. I think you need to start thinking about what’s best for your cousin and not what’s right for you.” Lucas kissed her on the cheek. “Think about it for a little while.” And then he left.

 

Brooke was floored. Lucas had never spoken to her like that before.  She was about to call him back and give her a piece of her mind when she noticed her cousin’s eyes start to flutter open.

 

“Nurse!” Brooke yelled!