- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

 

 

 

 

"Nick know you really don't know how to drive in this weather. Please just stay here until the storm passes,'' Kevin asked as he watched his friend push away from the kitchen table.

 

Nick grinned as he looked at the older man and joked, "Dad, I know how to drive; believe it or not I've driven in snow quite a few times since you last saw me."  As a dark look suddenly washed over Kevin Richardson's face, Nick quickly decided that he may have crossed the sacred boundaries. 'I think I pissed him off for some reason. Was it because I called him Dad?' he wondered.

 

The older man shook his head slowly. "I just don't have a good feeling about this; call me crazy if you want to but I honestly don't want you out on the roads tonight."

 

Nick waved him off as he pulled his jacket on. "You worry too much, I'll be fine."

 

"I don't care what time it is when you get home, could you at least call me?"

 

After Kevin made sure he still had his cell number in his contacts, Nick started the long drive back to Tennessee. Two hours into the drive, he found himself literally the only car on the highway.  

 

"Okay, maybe I should have waited until Tuesday," Nick muttered out loud as he tried to block out the feelings of anxiety that were slowly starting to creep in.

 

For some reason he felt invincible and was driving faster than the posted speed limit of 70 m.p.h - he never did follow those laws; always felt it was more of a suggestion rather than a law but the sudden eerie feeling that the tires were no longer on the pavement was instantly verified when the back end of the vehicle started to swing away from the side of the road.

 

Nick tried his best to fight the spin that the car was being thrown into but because of his lack of experience driving in bad conditions coupled with the coating of black ice that was on the interstate, there was no hope in ever pulling out.

 

Spinning faster than a NASCAR crash, the car bounced against the guard rail three times before going down a steep ditch 40 feet off the highway. Mercifully it was stopped from a roll over when it landed hard on the driver's side against a tree.