- Text Size +

Brooke heard the doorbell ring. Alissa had just left to pick some things up at the store and Brooke assumed she had forgotten something. When she opened the door, she was shocked to see AJ there.

 

“Is she here? Is Alissa here?” AJ said pushing right past Brooke into the house.

 

Brooke couldn’t decide whether he looked frantic or angry. She was concerned for Alissa so she decided it was best if she didn’t tell him about Alissa being back.

 

“No AJ, she’s not here. Can I help you with something?”

 

“I saw her Brooke; she drove by me earlier this morning. I know it was her!”

 

“Are you sure? It was probably just someone who looked like her.”

 

AJ sat down on the couch. “Are you sure she’s not here? I need to see her.”

 

“She’s not here.” Brooke said. At least it wasn’t completely a lie. She wasn’t here right now. “Why don’t you go home and get some rest.”

 

AJ looked at her. Something seemed off. He was sure she wasn’t telling him everything and he was determined to find a way to get to the truth.

 

“Alright Brooke. Thanks for letting me in. I can see myself out.”

 

AJ left and drove straight to his mother’s. 

 ------------------------------- 

“Ma!” AJ said charging into the house.

 

“I’m right here.” Denise called from the kitchen.

 

AJ came around the corner and slipped into one of the chairs at the table.  “Alissa’s here.”

 

Denise looked stunned.  “What? Did she call you? What did she say?”

 

“Nothing, there was no phone call. She drove right past me on the street today!”

 

“Are you sure it was her AJ?”

 

He slammed his fist down on the table. “Godammit! Why does everyone keep asking me that? I know it was her!”

 

Denise was surprised by his outburst. “Ok, ok.” she said thinking back to the last conversation she had with Alissa. She had been adamant that she would not return and Denise was sure of that. 

 

“AJ, I need you to calm down. I’m going to tell you something and I just want you to listen.”

 

AJ looked at his mother’s face and knew that he was not going to like what she had to say.

 

“I saw Alissa a few months ago.”

 

“WHAT?” AJ exploded. “You saw her and never said anything to me? You knew where she was! How could you do that to me?”

 

Denise started to tear up. “I’m so sorry. Brooke called me after you guys left and told me that Alissa had contacted her. I was there the day that she visited Brooke.”

 

AJ jumped up. “You know how much this is killing me and you never said a word!”

 

“AJ please listen. Let me finish.” Denise pleaded with her son.

 

“I’ve heard enough! There’s nothing more that I want to hear!”  AJ said storming out of the kitchen.  Denise heard the front door slam and his truck peel out of the driveway. She called Brian and told him about what had happened. He promised to find AJ and figure something out.