- Text Size +

A couple of weeks had passed and Alissa was trying as hard as she could to stay in a more positive frame of mind. She had finally accepted that there was no chance AJ was coming back and she needed to do what was best for her child. Being as negative and depressed as she had been was not going to help anyone. She had to put her feelings aside and do whatever she could to provide the best life for this little boy.

 

The first major step for her was to allow her cousin to throw her a baby shower.  It was a beautiful day and she was surprised to see Leighanne, Leigh and Kristen there.

 

“Hi guys.” Alissa said quietly when she came in. “Thank you for coming.”

 

“Did you really think we wouldn’t?” Leighanne asked. “We wanted you to know we were here for you and that we love you but we didn’t want to make you uncomfortable.”

 

Leigh nodded. “We’ve missed you and want to do whatever we can to help you.”

 

Alissa started to tear up. She hugged each one of the women and realized how much she had missed their company. She excused herself after a while and went around to talk to some of the women from work and some of her other relatives.

 

She was about to join her cousin at the head table when she noticed Denise had slipped in. Whatever happened between her and AJ, she had to give his mom a lot of credit for what she was doing. It had to be hard to be caught in the middle and she wanted Denise to know she appreciated it.

 

“Hi Denise. I’m glad you came.” Alissa smiled and hugged her.

 

Denise beamed. “I almost didn’t. I know how you feel and I wanted this day to be special for you. I’m glad you don’t mind me being here.”

 

“You’re this little boy’s grandmother Denise. You have as much of a reason to celebrate as the rest of us.” Alissa paused. “It means a lot to me that you came. I know this hasn’t been easy for you either.”

 

Denise started to tear up. “I love you sweetie.”

 

“I love you too Denise.”

 

The rest of the baby shower was wonderful. Everyone had a good time and it was so nice for everyone to see a smile back on Alissa’s face.  They could still see pain there but it had moved over a little so that some joy could join in.

 ------------------------ 

Denise drove home after the bridal shower and was shocked when she pulled into her driveway.  AJ was just sitting there on the hood of his car waiting for her. She had barely put the car into park before she jumped out and ran to hug her son.

 

“When did you get back?”

 

“Today. I figured I’d make my first stop here and see you.”

 

“I’m so happy to see you AJ. I’ve missed you.” she said and kissed him on the cheek. “Can you stay for a little while?”

 

AJ smiled. “Sure.” As he followed his mother into the house, he noticed that she was dressed up. “What’s the occasion?”

 

Denise froze for a moment. “Just a party for a friend.” She didn’t dare tell him about the baby shower. He had just come back and she was afraid she’d spook him and he’d leave again. “Would you like me to make you something to eat?” she asked, changing the subject quickly.

 

“That sounds good.” He paused. “I wanted to ask you a favor.”

 

“Anything.”

 

“I can’t go back and face an empty house. Can I stay with you for a while?”

 

Denise was stunned. “Of course, you don’t have to ask. Does this mean you plan on staying here?”

 

AJ shook his head. “I’m not sure yet. I will for now and we’ll see how things go.”

 

“I’ll take it!” Denise told her son.