- Text Size +

AJ made it back in record time and hurried up the stairs. He found Alissa sitting back on the bed reading a book.

 

“Uh-uh. No way you’re reading. We need to talk!”

 

He thumped down next to her on the bed and grabbed the book out of her hand, tossing it across the room.

 

“Really AJ? You could have just asked.” she said with a smile.

 

He leaned over and kissed her deeply. She kissed him back with just as much force.

 

“I’ve missed that so much.” AJ said quietly.

 

Alissa grinned. “Me too.”

 

AJ started to kiss her again but she held up her hand.

 

“I thought you wanted to talk.” she teased him.

 

“Get that hand out of my way woman!” he yelled, wrapping his arms around her tightly and kissing her passionately.

 

“AJ?” she said softly.

 

“What Liss?”

 

“I can’t breathe.” she said giggling.

 

He laughed, stood up on the bed and moved so that he was behind her.

 

“Are you crazy? What are you doing?”

 

“Making this a little more comfortable.” he said and slid down onto the bed. He made sure she was sitting between his legs and he wrapped his arms around her again.

 

Alissa smiled, turned herself sideways and lay her head down on his shoulder. They were both quiet for a few minutes before he heard her cry softly.

 

“What’s wrong Liss?” he asked pushing her chin up so that he could look her in the eyes.

 

She shook her head. “Nothing.”

 

“Come on Liss. I’m not buying that. What’s the matter?”

 

Tears slid down her cheeks. “I always felt so safe with you and I’ve missed it. I’ve missed the way you make me feel. I miss you, I miss us.”

 

She started to cry harder and it broke his heart.  He didn’t know what else to do but hold her and let her cry. Wrapping his arms around her tighter, he rocked her and whispered that it would be ok.

 

A little while later, Alissa started sniffling and wiped the tears off her cheeks.

 

“I’m sorry AJ. I don’t mean to cry like that. I think it’s a pregnancy thing.”

 

“No, it’s not.” he said quietly. “It’s an AJ is a jackass thing.”

 

“No, it’s not AJ. It’s….”

 

“Stop Liss. It is a jackass thing. You would never have missed us if I didn’t screw everything up. I have missed out on months with you and with the baby and there is no way I’m going to be able to make up for all that.”

 

“You already have.” she whispered quietly.

 

AJ was stunned. “Exactly how did I do that?”

 

“You saved my life and our son’s life. If you hadn’t come over when I called, we wouldn’t have made it AJ. You’ve already made it up to us as far as I’m concerned.”

 

Alissa looked AJ right in the eye. “I know this is a really difficult situation but I want you to know that I appreciate everything you’ve done.”

 

“But…”

 

Alissa shook her head. “No more AJ. We can go around and around about this whole situation but it’s not going to change what’s already happened.”

 

He paused for a minute. He knew what he needed to say and he had to get it out. “Alright but I need to say one more thing ok?”

 

She nodded.

 

He looked in her eyes and the words came tumbling out.

 

“Liss, I love you. You’re the only woman I want to say that to. I know I walked away but I regretted it every single day. You made me happier than I had ever been and I missed you more than I can tell you.  Please believe me when I say that I will never, ever do that again. No matter how hard things get or what happens, I will never walk away and leave you alone again. I promise you that Liss.”

 

“I love you too AJ.” she said and smiled at him.

 

He leaned in and kissed her gently. Things were back to being good for them and he was determined to make sure it stayed that way.