- Text Size +

AJ went down to the kitchen a few hours later to start dinner. Alissa had fallen asleep and he wanted to make sure everything was done so they could just relax together. He was so preoccupied looking in the cabinets that he didn’t hear his mother come in.

 

“Hi sweetheart.”

 

AJ jumped about 5 feet in the air.

 

“Mom!”

 

Denise laughed. “Sorry honey, I didn’t mean to scare you.”

 

“A little head’s up might be nice!”

 

“I’ll try to make a bunch of noise next time.”

 

Denise looked around the kitchen and saw pots, pans and bowls all over the counter.

 

“Exactly what are you doing?”

 

AJ looked around at the mess and then back at his mother with a frown.

 

“I wanted to make dinner.”

 

“I’d say you made a mess instead. Why don’t you let me make something and you can keep me company?”

 

“Sounds good.” he said and kissed his mother on the cheek. “How was work?”

 

“Good.” His mother replied as she put away all the stuff AJ had dug out. “How was your day?”

 

“Wonderful.”

 

Denise looked over and saw a huge smile on her son’s face.

 

“Really? Does it have something to do with what I walked in on this morning?” she teased him.

 

AJ blushed. “Yes it does. Alissa said she loves me.”

 

“Of course she does!” Denise said laughing. “Did you two really think that you were that good at acting like this relationship didn’t matter or that you were over it?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

Denise sighed. “AJ, you and Alissa have loved each other for a while. It was just a matter of time.”

 

AJ look confused.

 

“Everyone knows that you two are meant for each other and there was going to come a day where you both figured that out.  We just didn’t think we’d have to wait this long!”

 

AJ shrugged his shoulders. “We’re both stubborn I guess.”

 

“Stubborn is an understatement! I have never met two people as obstinate as both of you.”

 

“I wonder where I get that from Ma?”

 

Denise threw a towel at him. “Why don’t you just be quiet and make a salad?”

 

“Ok, ok! I give!”

 

He started to grab a bowl and went and hugged his mother instead.

 

“What’s that for?”

 

“For being a terrific mother and for putting up with me.” 

 

Denise smiled. “I love you AJ and I couldn’t ask for a better son.” She paused. “Make sure you don’t lose her again ok?”

 

“I won’t, I promise.”