- Text Size +

Alissa was exhausted after the party and AJ helped her upstairs. When he got her settled, he went back down to help his mom clean up.

 

“How is she?” Denise asked her son.

 

“Tired but happy that she got to see everyone. I don’t think she thought it would take this much out of her. And on top of it she was still fighting to stay awake just now. She’s so damn stubborn!”

 

Denise chuckled. “Take a look in the mirror sweetheart. You two are so much alike.”

 

“Thanks Ma!” He kissed her on the cheek and started doing the dishes while his mother packed up the food.

------------------------ 

AJ headed back upstairs after talking to his mother for a while. He found Alissa sound asleep and curled up into a ball. After changing, he pulled the covers back lightly, crawled in and pulled her over to him. He was just wrapping his arms around her when she stirred.

 

“I was wondering what was taking you so long.” she said, half asleep.

 

AJ laughed. “Sure you were. The snoring made that obvious.”

 

Alissa smiled and playfully elbowed him.

 

“Hey watch it!” He pulled her closer. “There, now you have no elbow room!”

 

Alissa laughed. “So not fair.” she said and yawned.

 

AJ ran his hand up her arm. “Time for you to get some sleep.”

 

She yawned again and curled up against him. He stroked her hair knowing that would help her to fall asleep.

 

“I love you Liss.” he whispered in her ear.

 

“I love you too AJ.” she murmured back.

-----------------------------------------

Alissa was awoken a few hours later by an intense pain in her abdomen. She remembered feeling like this the night AJ came to help her and she shook him and cried out in pain.

 

AJ woke up instantly. He saw the look on Alissa’s face and knew she was in a tremendous amount of pain.

 

“Hold on Liss! I’m calling the hospital now.”

 

He jumped up, called 911 and ran to get his mother. They both raced back to the room and Denise asked AJ if he called the hospital.

 

“I already did. The ambulance should be here any minute.”

 

Alissa howled in pain again and AJ had to hold back tears while he held her.

 

“Shhh….I’m right here. I’m not going to let anything happen to you Liss.”

 

“It hurts so bad!” Alissa yelped and another pain hit her.

 

AJ was about to call for the ambulance again when they heard the front doorbell ring. Denise ran downstairs and let the paramedics in.

 

It only took them a few minutes to get Alissa onto the gurney and strapped in. They loaded her into the ambulance and AJ begged them to let him stay with her.  The EMT agreed and Denise told them that she would follow in her car.

 

The ride to the hospital only took 5 minutes but it seemed like an eternity to AJ. He watched Alissa cry out in pain again and he gave her his hand to squeeze.

 

“It’s ok Liss. We’re going to the hospital. It’ll be ok.”

 

Alissa wanted to believe him but she could see the fear on his face.

 

“Please don’t let anything happen to my baby!” she pleaded with the EMT.

 

They arrived at the hospital before AJ could ask how much longer it would be and they got Alissa into the maternity wing as fast as they could. The doctor decided to let AJ remain with Alissa and he asked his mother to wait in the lobby. Denise agreed and she went to call the guys and let them know what was going on.