- Text Size +

Alissa felt the convulsions start and heard all the machines go off. Her brain started to get foggy and she lost consciousness.

 ------------------------- 

Two of the orderlies were able to get AJ into the private waiting room and one of the nurses went to get Denise.  

 

AJ was still sitting on the ground when he saw his mother and the guys come through the doors. The looks on their faces were like stabs to his heart. His world had been shattered and he had no idea what to say.

 

Denise walked over to him and sat down. She wrapped her arms around her son and he started sobbing uncontrollably. Howie went and sat next to him on the other side, putting his hand on his shoulder. It felt like a hole had been ripped through all their hearts and no one had any words. Nick and Brian were openly crying and Kevin had to turn away to hide his tears. As he turned back to face AJ, he noticed the doctor had slipped into the room quietly.

 

“Mr. McLean?” the doctor asked quietly. “Can I speak to you for a moment?”

 

AJ just stared at him. He nodded but couldn’t move from his spot on the floor.

 

“It might be better for us to speak in private.”

 

AJ shook his head. “No, there isn’t much more to say. Whatever you need to tell me, just get it over with.” he said choking up.

 

The doctor hung his head. “I’m afraid I have some bad news. Ms. Emerson suffered another bout of toxemia. It stopped her heart and….”

 

AJ put his hand up and started to sob again. “I know. She didn’t make it.” He put his head in his hands and Howie put his arm around him.

 

“Not exactly.” the doctor said.

 

Kevin’s head jerked up. “What do you mean ‘not exactly’?”

 

Everyone’s eyes, including AJ’s, were now set on the doctor.

 

“Her heart did give out, but we were able to bring her back…..

 

Denise gasped. “She made it?” she asked, hoping for her son’s sake that it had just been a nightmare.

 

“We were able to bring her back but she’s in a coma.”

“When will she wake up?” Nick asked.

 

The doctor shook his head. “I don’t know. She had a very serious attack and it put a large amount of strain on her heart.”

 

“Will she wake up?” AJ asked quietly, not knowing whether he really wanted an answer to his question.

 

“Honestly, I don’t know. I wish I could tell you differently but a person’s body works in ways we can’t always understand.”

 

AJ let the doctor’s words sink in for a few moments. “Can I at least see her?”

 

“Give me some time to move her to a room and I’ll have the nurse come back and get you.” The doctor started to walk away but then turned around. “I’m really sorry Mr. McLean. I really wish I had better news.”

 

The doctor left and everyone just sat there for a while. They were happy that Alissa had made it but no one wanted to think about her not waking up. It would be more than AJ could bear if he had to say goodbye again.  Everybody looked at the door when a nurse came into the room.

 

“Mr. McLean?”

 

AJ got up from the floor. “That’s me.” he said quietly. “Can I see her now?”

 

“Excuse me?” the nurse asked confused. “Her? I’m sorry. I thought that you had a little boy.”

 

Reality smacked him in the face. AJ had been so absorbed with what happened to Alissa that he put the baby at the back of his mind. He could barely keep himself together and he had no idea how he was going to be good for any baby.

 

“Where is my grandson?” Denise asked calmly, knowing that she needed to help AJ deal with the whole situation.

 

“He’s in the nursery. We needed to check if Mr. McLean wanted to come see him for a little while before we take him up to see Ms. Emerson.”

 

AJ didn’t move. His feet were frozen to the ground.

 

The nurse waited for a few moments. “I can bring him down here if you’d like me to.”

 

AJ looked up gratefully. “Please.” was all he could manage.

 

The nurse left and appeared again a few minutes later. She brought the little baby over and handed him to AJ. Everyone gathered around the baby and watched as he gripped his dad’s little finger.

 

The moment his son placed his tiny finger around his larger one, AJ felt his heart wrench. He wanted Alissa to be there for this moment. This beautiful little baby was theirs and it killed him not to have her here.  He looked down at his son and he saw Alissa’s eyes staring back at him. She had to be ok, she had to wake up.