- Text Size +

Nick had called Denise to ask her if she would mind him coming over to see AJ. She thought it was a great idea and they met at her house a few hours later. They found AJ sitting at the kitchen table with his head in his hands and an envelope on the table. He looked up at the two of them and had tears in his eyes.

 

“What happened sweetheart?” Denise said, laying a hand on his shoulder. AJ didn’t respond.

 

Nick walked over and picked up the envelope. He held up the sonogram picture of the baby.

 

Denise looked at the picture and then at her son. “Where did you get that from? Did you go see Alissa?”

 

AJ shook his head no. “She was here when I got home.”

 

“Did she come to see you? At least someone might have some sense around here.” Nick said.

 

“No.” AJ said looking at Denise. “She was leaving this for you.”

 

“I’m sorry honey. I…”

AJ cut her off. “There’s no need for you to be sorry. I’ve been a complete fucking idiot.”

 

“Hallelujah!” Nick yelled.

 

Both AJ and Denise looked up stunned.

 

“Sorry J, but I’m not about to be nice about this. You have been a total asshole to everyone around you. You’ve pushed all of us away and you threw away a terrific relationship with an amazing woman.”

 

AJ started to say something but Nick jumped back in.

 

“Uh-uh. You’ve done enough talking. Time for some listening. I get that you’re struggling with the whole baby thing but this is ridiculous. You’re going to flush your whole life down the toilet because you guys made a mistake and you don’t want to deal with the consequences.”

 

AJ started again but Nick held up his hand.

 

“Not done. You need to man up and talk to that woman. Make this thing work. If you’re lucky enough, maybe Alissa’s hormones will be wacky enough that she might consider taking your sorry ass back!”

 

AJ laughed out loud in spite of himself.

 

Nick grinned. “Maybe we’re finally getting through to you.”

 

“I know I’m completely to blame here Nick. I saw that picture today and everything became real to me. I know I fucked up but I don’t think there is a way to fix it. Alissa didn’t even let me say anything to her before she was out of here.”

 

Denise looked at him. “Maybe she was afraid that you would be angry with her coming here and leaving the picture for me.”

 

That thought was like a knife in his heart. The fact that she would leave just because he was angry hurt him deeply. He knew he acted like a dick and he would give anything to take that all back.

 

“I don’t blame her. I was awful to her that night on tour. I left her there by herself and had some random car service take her to the airport. I sent her home without even taking another look at her.”

 

AJ started to tear up. “I fucked up. I fucked up and I don’t know how to make it right.”

 

“Why don’t you try to call her? Maybe that would be a good first step.” Denise said quietly.

 

AJ agreed and spent the night trying to figure out what to say if she picked up the phone.