- Text Size +

The next month flew by for both Kat and AJ. She was finishing teaching and getting ready for summer vacation and he was recording songs with the guys for their next album. They tried to talk regularly but it was hard with AJ having a different schedule. Unlike Michelle, Kat understood his passion for music and supported him even from a distance. It seemed like he and Michelle were constantly arguing and he was getting to the point where he couldn’t take it anymore.

 Kat was getting ready for bed one Friday night when her cell phone rang.

 “Hi AJ! How are you?”

 “I did it.”

 “Huh?” Kat was confused. “You did what?”

 “I broke up with Michelle.”

 Thank God, Kat said in her head. It’s about damn time!

 “I’m sorry AJ. I wish there was something I could do.”

“Well, there actually is something you could do.”

 “Just tell me what you need.”

 “Can you come down and open your front door?”

 “Excuse me?”

 “I’m standing on your porch and I’m hoping you’ll let me in before someone calls the police about an intruder.”

 “Oh shit. I’ll be right down.”

 Kat bolted down the stairs and pulled open her front door. AJ was standing there with a duffel bag over his shoulder.

“What are you moving in?” Kat teased him.

 “Brat!” he said and stuck his tongue out at her. “I’m not moving in but I was hoping that I could spend a couple of days here. Do you mind?”

 “Of course not AJ. You’re welcome anytime, I already told you that. Come in.”

 He smiled. “I know that but I like to hear you say it!”

 “You’re being a brat now.” she said closing the door after him. “When did you get here?”

 “About an hour ago.” He looked at her and realized that she was about to go to bed.  “Want me to come back in the morning?”

 Kat looked down at her pajamas. “No, it’s fine. I wasn’t that tired anyway.”

 He grinned. “Good! I was hoping we could hang out before you got too tired.”

 “Why don’t you go dump your stuff in your room…”

 He looked at her and raised one eyebrow. “Ohhhh, now I have a room here. Good to know!”

 Kat blushed. “Shut up McLean before I kick you out and make you sleep on the sidewalk.”

 “Hey, hey, no need for threats.” He raised both hands. “I’ll just go put my stuff down in MY room and I’ll come right back.”

 AJ booked it down the hall to avoid the pillow she threw at him. “You’re lucky you’re cute buddy!”

 “Ooooo, I have my own room and now I’m cute!” he said sticking his head out the doorway.

 Kat threw another pillow down the hallway whacking him in the head. “Keep it up! It sucks sleeping on asphalt!”

 She shook her head when she heard him laugh and went to get some drinks from the kitchen.

 ------------------------------------ 

Another weekend flew by and AJ knew Monday was the last day of classes for her. He picked her up after work and they drove down to the Cape to have dinner and sit by the beach. This was the last full day they got before he had to head back home.

 Kat was quiet the whole ride down and AJ was starting to worry that something was wrong with her.

 “Hey, are you ok?” he asked and reached over to grab her hand.

 Kat looked down as he covered her hand with his own.  “I’m fine. I’m going to miss these kids and having the whole summer off kind of stinks. Brenda works for part of it and I’m stuck at home by myself.”

 AJ had planned on asking her to come see him in California over dinner but decided now would be the perfect time.

 “Then why don’t you come visit me for a while?”

 Kat looked stunned. “What?”

 AJ smiled and repeated himself. “Come out and spend part of the summer with me.  You told me once that you’ve never been to California so this would be the perfect time.”

“I appreciate the offer but you’re going to be working and I can’t afford a hotel for too long. I can find stuff to do here.”

“We have some time off in July so come out then. And you can stay with me.”

 Kat shook her head. “That would be bad for you. A woman staying at your place. The media would have a field day. And to top it off, Michelle would be pissed.  I don’t want to create any more issues for you.”

 “Did you not hear me the other night? I broke up with Michelle. What she wants doesn’t matter.” AJ paused for a minute. “Please Kat. Come out for me. I miss you when you’re not around.”

 Kat was shocked. AJ surprised himself too. He’d wanted to say that for a while but he could never get up the nerve.

 “Please Kat? I’ll keep begging until you say yes, you know that right?”

 She laughed and told him she’d think about it. “Let’s just enjoy dinner for now and then we can talk about a visit.”

------------------------------

After dinner, they walked across the dunes to the beach outside of the restaurant. The sun was setting and the view was gorgeous. They decided to sit down on one of the dunes so they could watch the water and the sun finish sitting.  AJ sat down first and, instead of letting Kat sit next to him, he pulled her down so she was sitting between his legs with her back to him.

 “What exactly are you doing?” Kat asked with a smile.

 “Making myself comfortable.” He wrapped his arms around her and rested his chin on her shoulder.

 They sat there for a few minutes before AJ broke the silence.

 “So, are you coming to California?”

 Kat grinned. “Are you still on that subject? I thought I said we talk about it later.”

 “It is later. Please come? You know I can be as annoying as any teenager out there when I don’t get my own way right?”

 “I’m starting to get that feeling.” She started laughing. “You’re relentless.”

 “Am I going to get my way or do I have to keep bugging you?” He waited a minute. “You know I can play dirty. I could call Brenda or your aunt and have them badger you so you’ll give in.”

 She turned to face him. “You wouldn’t dare!”

 AJ pulled his phone out. “I might even have Chris’ number in here. Let me see……”

Kat lunged for his phone but he was too quick. He jumped up and ran a few steps away. “Oh, I do have Michael’s number. Maybe I’ll call him too.” He started dialing the phone.

 She stood up and threw her hands in the air. “Alright, you win! I’ll come out and visit you.”

 “YES!” AJ yelled and started jumping up and down. “I win!”

 “Only because you use cheap tricks!”

 He came over and put his arm around her waist. “Whatever works.” He smiled and kissed her on the cheek. They drove back to the house so that AJ could pack and sleep before he had to catch his early flight.