- Text Size +

Kat spent the next few hours tossing and turning, hoping for some sleep. After awhile, she gave up and decided to try sitting out back. She tiptoed out of her room so she wouldn't wake AJ but was surprised to see his door open and bed empty. She headed downstairs and found him sitting on the deck smoking a cigarette. Apparently he hadn’t been able to sleep.

 "You couldn't sleep either?"

 AJ jumped. "Jesus! Are you trying to kill me?"

Kat laughed. "No, I was trying to say hello but scaring you is an added bonus!"

 "Real funny Kat!" He said and laughed. "I see you’re awake too. Bad dreams?"

 "No. I had to be on guard in case some crazy woman snuck into the house and tried to sneak into your room."

 "Oh how sweet. You always have my best interests in heart."

 "Always McLean." She paused for a minute. "I'll always have your best interests in mind."

 AJ looked at her surprised. He felt the same way but he was afraid to tell her thinking that he might scare her off. Changing the subject, he told her that he wanted to spend the day with her and do something fun.

 "I guess we should probably try and get some sleep then."

 "Why don't you head back in? I'm going to try and make myself a little sleepier."

 Kat thought for a minute and decided what the hell. "Do you want to come sleep with me?"

 AJ's head jerked up. "Kat Brady, did you just ask me if I wanted to sleep with you? Don't you think that's being a little forward?"

 Kat turned beet red. “That’s not what I meant AJ and you know it!” she protested.

 “I’m shocked by your behavior Brady! That is such an unladylike thing to say.”

Now she was just mortified. This was not the way she wanted the conversation to go.

 “You can be such a jerk sometimes you know that.” She jumped off the chair and started off towards the house. “I’ll see you in the morning.”

 AJ sat there stunned. He had no idea where this conversation had turned from teasing to being insulting. Nothing he said was supposed to be mean, he was just kidding.

 Deciding that the situation needed to be fixed immediately, he ran up the stairs and knocked on her door.

 “I’m sorry Kat, I really am. I know what you meant and I was just teasing you.”

 No answer.

 “Kat, please, I really am sorry.”

 Still no answer. He leaned forward to press his head to the door when it suddenly opened and he lost his balance and fell onto the floor. Kat stood above him smiling.

 “You totally deserved that.”

 “I know.” he said laughing. He stuck his hand out. “Truce?”

 “Truce.” she said reaching out her hand. She hugged him and walked back to the bed. “See you in the morning.”

 “Hey!” AJ said loudly causing Kat to turn around. “Does that offer still stand?”

 “What offer?”

 “The offer to sleep with you.”

 Kat’s jaw dropped. It took her a few second to recover.

 “I guess so.” She paused. “If you want to.”

 AJ grinned and jumped onto the bed. “This is going to be fun!”

 Kat groaned. “We actually need to sleep McLean.”

“I know.” AJ said and crawled under the covers.

 Kat climbed in next to him and rolled onto her side so she could face him. “Night AJ.”

 He looked at her. “Seriously Kat? I don’t bite. At least not too hard.” He winked and stretched out his arm.

 Kat shook her head but crawled over closer to him. She put her head on his chest and he wrapped his arms around her.

 “See. That’s not so bad.”

 Actually, this is great Kat thought to herself.

 “Sleep tight AJ.”

 “You too Kat.” he said kissing her on the head. “See you in the morning.”

 Both of them fell asleep a few moments later.