- Text Size +

AJ woke up and it took him a few seconds to realize that he wasn’t in his own room. He looked down and saw that Kat was still asleep on his chest and he smiled. This moment was perfect and he didn’t want it to end. He just lay there listening to her breathing and started to doze back off.

 Kat woke up a few minutes later and was startled to find someone in bed with her. Then she realized that AJ had fallen asleep with her last night and he still had his arms wrapped around her. She thought it was the best feeling ever. Without thinking, she curled up tighter next to him. She moved her head on his chest so she could hear his heartbeat.

 AJ woke up and smiled. He wrapped his arms around her tighter and whispered good morning into her hair.

“Morning AJ. How’d you sleep?”

 “Great. I’m going to have to start sleeping with you every night.”

 Kat loved hearing him say that but it made her sad knowing that she was leaving soon. She didn’t know what to say.

 “Kat?”

 “Huh?”

 “What’s the matter?”

 “Nothing.”

 “Liar. I can feel you frown.”

 Kat sighed. “Just thinking about how much I love this and how much I’m going to miss it when I got home.”

 The thought of that made AJ discouraged. He hated the fact that she would be heading home soon and that he wouldn’t be able to see her every day.

 “You know what? I don’t want to talk about this anymore.” He sat up in bed. “I’ll give you ten minutes to get dressed and then we’re leaving.”

 “Where are we going?” she asked watching him head for the door.

 AJ turned around and smiled. “It’s a surprise.”

 Kat groaned and lay back on the bed. “I thought I told you I hated surprises.”

 “I know you did, but I don’t seem to listen real well. You’re down to nine minutes now so hurry up.”

 -------------------------------- 

AJ and Kat spent the day checking out some local spots like Malibu Pier and some of the shopping areas where Kat watched AJ pick out item after item.

 “Dear God AJ! I have never seen a man shop like that ever.” she said laughing and pointing at all his bags.

 AJ shrugged his shoulders. “What can I say? I like to shop.” He waited for a moment. “Anything interest you?”

 Kat grinned at him. “No and even if it did I wouldn’t tell you.”

 “Why?”

 “Because I know you’d try to buy it for me and we’ve already had that discussion.”

 “Seriously Kat? Can’t you let me buy you one thing?”

 “No.”

 “Nothing?”

 “Ok one thing.”

 “Anything.” he said with a smile.

 “Dinner.”

 “Dinner? Nothing else?”

 “Nope.” Kat linked her arm with his. “Let’s go, I’m starving.”

 ----------------------------

Kat and AJ had dinner down by the water and decided to take a walk on the beach to watch the sun set.

 “This is beautiful AJ. I’m glad you decided to come here.”

 He smiled. “That’s not the only thing that beautiful.”

 Kat hit him on the arm and kept walking. “Quit being cute.”

 AJ was getting frustrated with her. She always thought he was kidding when he complimented her.

 He tugged on her arm to slow her down. “Can we sit for a couple of minutes?”

 Kat looked surprised. “Are you tired?”

 “No I just want to sit for a couple of minutes.” He dragged her over to one of the stone walls and helped her up onto it. Then he jumped up, settled in and turned to face her.

 “I think we need to talk.” He had planned on doing this when they got back to the house but he felt like it needed to be said now.

 “Kat, you know you’re my friend right?”

 “Of course I do AJ.” she smiled and squeezed his hand. “Did you really need to tell me that?”

 AJ shook his head. “I mean you’re my best friend.”

 Kat just sat there.

 “You really are my best friend Kat. You are the one person in my life who I can turn to, the one who makes my life better. You make me feel like it’s ok to be me, just the way I am. You’re accepting of all my faults and you don’t hold all the shit I’ve done in the past against me. Even when I screw up now, you’re always on my side.”

 Kat’s eyes filled with tears. She had no idea he felt this way.

 “I have never felt as safe with anyone as I do with you. I know that no matter what I do, I can count on you to be there and to support me. You have no idea how much that means to me.”

 “AJ you don’t have to tell me all this.”

 “Yes I do Kat. That movie we watched last night really drove the point home to me. I have to tell you how I feel now before I lose the chance.”

 “Ok. Do you feel better now?”

 “Not yet.”

 AJ leaned in so he was inches from her face. “I love you Kat.”

 “I love you too AJ.”

 He shook his head. “No, Kat, I mean I really love you.” He paused for a minute. “I’m in love with you Kat.”