- Text Size +

Brenda called Kat the next morning and suggested that they go to breakfast. She hadn't seen her since before she left for California and she missed her friend. Kat had agreed to meet her at their favorite restaurant.

 Brenda jumped up to hug her the minute she walked in.

 "I missed you so much. It hasn't been the same without you."

 "I missed you too Brenda." She didn't want to tell her friend about the move but she didn't like keeping secrets from her either. She waited until the waitress had taken their order before she told her the news.

 "You might have to get used to me not being around all the time."

 Brenda looked at her like she'd just lost her mind. "What do you mean all the time? Where would you...." Brenda's thought trailed off when she saw the look on Kat's face. "Tell me you didn't!" she said angrily.

 All Kat could do was nod her head.

 "What the hell are you thinking?"

 "I love him Brenda."

 "I don't care if you do or if you don't. This thing is moving way too fast and I can't believe you're even thinking about moving in with him, forget moving all the way across the country. Are you crazy?"

 Kat was hurt that Brenda felt this way. She thought her friend would be more supportive and understand why she was doing this.

 "I'm sorry that you feel that way but I love AJ and I want this."

 Brenda sighed. She wanted to be happy for her friend but she just felt like this was going to turn out badly.

 "I love you Kat; you're like my sister. I want you to be happy but I also am going to tell you when I'm concerned. I wouldn't be your friend if I didn't. I hope you understand that."

 "I do Brenda, I was just hoping for a little support from someone."

 Brenda was hurt that her friend felt like no one had her back.

 "I'm sorry Kat. I will do my best to help you and to be happy for you. It's just going to take some time."

 Kat smiled at her friend. "Thank you."

 Brenda smiled back. "You're welcome. Just don't expect me to pack all your crap. There aren't enough boxes on the planet!"

 ---------------------

AJ knew he was going to have to talk with his mother. She had gotten to know Kat better over the last few weeks and she seemed like she was coming around. He only hoped this wouldn't set everything back.

 "Hi Ma." AJ said to his mother when she arrived at the house. "Thanks for coming over."

 Denise smiled up at her son and hugged him. "I'm glad you invited me. How are you?" She wanted to make sure he was ok since Kat had left.

 "I'm good Ma. Really good." His face broke into a smile.

 This was definitely not what she had been planning to see. She knew he hated that Kat was leaving and he had told her on several occasions that he was going to have a hard time with it.

 "What brought on the change?"

 "Kat agreed to move out here with me."

 Denise's mouth dropped open. What in the world was he thinking?

 AJ could tell his mother was not thrilled about this decision.

 "When did all this happen?"

 "The day Kat left. I asked her the night before and she took the night to think about it. She agreed to move out at the end of January."

 Denise decided to just come out with it. "Look Alex. I told you I was going to get to know her better and to try and be supportive of your relationship with her but this is a mistake. You've known each other for what five months now? I hardly think it's a good idea for her to come out here and live with you. How do you even know it's going to last? What if she moves all the way out here and your relationship with her falls apart?"

 AJ was furious. "Why are you always second guessing me? You're my mother! You're supposed to be the one who supports me and loves me. Kat makes me happier than I have ever been. I have never loved anyone as much as I love her." AJ quieted down some. "I wish you would understand that. I can't make you like the situation Ma but it's going to happen whether you like it or not. I want your support but I don't need your permission."

 Denise was stunned by AJ's words. He had never defended any of his girlfriends this way nor had he ever told her that he loved any of them.

 "Kat is the best person I have ever met. She makes me better. I am not going to lose her because you don't like it. She means more to me than you will ever know and until you can support me, we have nothing left to say."

AJ walked away and went upstairs leaving a shocked Denise standing in the kitchen. She didn't like the situation but there was no way she wanted to lose her son over it. She would have to keep her opinions to herself and try to be supportive. She gave AJ a few minutes to calm down and then she went up after him to apologize and try to straighten this mess out.