- Text Size +

A week had flown by and Brenda decided they needed a girls’ night out. She went looking for her friend and when she couldn’t find her in her classroom, she decided to check the office. Kat was sitting at one of the back desks, talking on the phone, looking serious. Brenda walked over to get her attention and mouthed “What’s up?”

 Kat held her finger up and thanked whoever was on the other line. She hung up and looked up at Brenda with a smile.

 “It’s done.”

 Brenda cocked one eyebrow. “What’s done?”

 “The house.”

 “Still confused sweetie.” Brenda said shaking her head.

 “I sold it!”

 “What?” Brenda said loudly. “How did you do that? It hasn’t even been put up for sale yet.”

 “The realtor had a friend who saw the listing she was putting together. He offered me $20,000 more than I was looking for.”

 Brenda’s mouth fell open. “Damn! When do you have to be out?”

 “That’s the sucky part. He really wants to move in right after New Year’s. I’m not flying out to California until the end of January.”

 “Do it! You can come and live with me until you move. You have to take it. You’re not going to get an offer like that again.”

 “Are you sure? You’re used to living by yourself and I don’t want to be in the way.”

 Brenda put her arm around Kat’s shoulder and started walking back down to their rooms. “I’m absolutely sure. I need to enjoy whatever time I have with my best friend since she’s gonna ditch me soon for some hot guy and a beautiful house with ocean views.”

 “I’m never gonna ditch you!” Kat said with a smile. “Besides, you never know. You and Mr. Carter might get more serious and someone else could be moving out there too!”

 “Whoa, put on the breaks. Not happening anytime soon.”

 “But you like Nick.”

 “I do. A lot. But I’m used to my life the way it is and I’m not up for making any big changes for a while. Besides, I still have to work the whole year unlike some other people.”

 “Wise ass!”

“I know I am. That’s why you love me.”

 “You’re right, that’s totally why.”

 “Funny. Speaking of loving me though, are you up for a girls’ night out? We haven’t done anything just the two of us in a while and I figured movie and dinner.”

 “Sounds like a plan.”

 “Good. I’ll pick you up around 7 k?”

 Kat nodded. “That’s fine. It’ll give me a chance to talk to AJ about the house.”

 “See you then chica.” Brenda left to get her stuff and Kat needed to finish getting some things ready before she headed back to her house. She was glad to be getting out but she wished she wasn’t so tired lately.

 -------------------------

 AJ was finishing a track in the studio when his cell phone rang. He noticed on the caller id that it was Kat and decided to have a little fun with his girlfriend.

 “Hi, Tony’s Pizza.”

 “Uh excuse me?”

 “Tony’s Pizza, pick up or delivery?”

 “I’m sorry, I must have the wrong number.”

 AJ heard the dial tone and waited to Kat to dial the number again. He answered on the second ring.

 “Hey you! How are you?”

 “AJ?”

 “Yeah it’s me.”

 “Oh ok.”

 “You sound like you were expecting it to be someone else.” He paused for a few seconds to see if she would say anything. “Maybe someone named Tony?”

 “You’re an ass!”

 AJ burst out laughing. “You made it too easy. I had to find a way to make you laugh since I can’t be there in person.”

 “Very funny.”

 “I know.”

 “Anyway, I have some good news that I wanted to tell you.”

 AJ pulled his chair into a straight sitting position. “Are you moving out here earlier?”

 “No.” Kat said chuckling. “But I did sell my house today.”

 “How did you do that? I thought you were going to put in on the market in a few days.”

 “Brenda asked me the same thing. I guess my realtor had a friend who saw my listing and made an offer for the house. He’s paying more than the asking price so I’ll be able to pay you back for all the moving expenses and I’ll have enough to share the bills until I can get a job out there.”

 AJ groaned. “We’re really not going to have this conversation again are we?”

 “We don’t need a conversation. I’m just telling you what I’m going to do.”

 AJ ran his hand over his face. “I thought you agreed to let me pay the moving expenses since you were uprooting your entire life and coming out here for me. And I don’t care if you can split the bills. It’s not a big deal.”

 “It is for me AJ.” Kat said with a sigh. “I don’t want you footing the bill for everything. If I was moving in with anyone else, I would pay for my share.”

 “But I’m not everyone else Kat. I’m the man who loves you and wants to take care of you.”

 “I know and I can’t tell you how much that means to me but I need to be able to contribute something AJ. Please?”

 AJ shook his head. “Fine. If it will make you happy than I’ll let you contribute a little. Not everything though.”

 “AJ…”

 “Nope, no more discussion. Deal’s done, don’t want to talk about it anymore. I’m changing the subject now.”

 Kat laughed. “You’re good at that.”

 “I know. I’m even better at it in person with a bedroom close by.” AJ said with a sexy laugh.

 “You definitely are!”

 “I’m glad we’re in agreement about that at least! I booked my ticket and I’m flying out a couple of days before Christmas. Is that still ok?”

“Absolutely! I can’t wait to see you. I miss sleeping in bed alone.”

 “Well, you better rest up now because you won’t get much sleep while I’m there!”

 “Looking forward to that!” Kat said with a chuckle. “I’d better get going. I told Brenda we could hang out tonight.”

 “Ok. Text me before you go to sleep.”

 “I will. I love you!”

 “Love you too baby.”

 AJ hung up and started making some calls. He had one more surprise to plan before he flew out to Kat’s for Christmas.