- Text Size +

“You’re what?” Brenda asked staring at her friend across the table.

 Kat sighed. “I’m going to visit AJ in California.”

 “Why again?”

 “Because he asked me to.”

 Brenda just shook her head. “Do you really think now is a good time?”

“What’s with you? Why do you have such a problem with me going out there?”

 “I’m concerned.” Brenda said. “I love you and I’m concerned.”

 Kat was confused. “Why are you concerned?”

 “Because I see the way you look at him.”

 “I don’t look at him…..”

 “Yes you do.” Brenda said firmly. “You may not see it but I do. You’re falling for him Kat.”

 She sat there stunned. She knew she was starting to have feelings for AJ but she tried to hide it.

 “You suck at trying to hide these things from me.” Brenda said almost like she was reading her mind.

 Kat knew there was no way she was getting this one past Brenda. They had been through a lot together and Brenda could always see right through her.

 “It doesn’t matter if I am or I’m not. Nothing’s gonna happen anyway.”

 “I’m not so sure about that.  I can see that AJ cares for you too.”

“I’m not his type Brenda.”

 “Again, not so sure about that.” She sighed. “I want you to be happy, you know that right. I just want you to take things slow.”

 “Look, I promise just to go out and visit. Nothing else is going to happen. It’s just two friends hanging out together.”

“Yeah right! If you truly believe that then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you.”

 Kat laughed.  “You’re such a goofball.”

 “I know, but you love me!” Brenda smiled and came around to hug her friend. “Just do me a favor and ease into it ok?”

 “I will.”

 ------------------------------- 

AJ waited with Marcus at the gate for Kat’s flight. People stared at him but he didn’t care. All he wanted to do was see Kat.  He spotted her coming out of the boarding ramp, ran over, picked her up and swung her around.

 Kat started giggling and tried to pull away. “AJ, get off. Everyone in the airport is staring.”

 “Who cares? I hardly ever get to see you and I don’t care who knows how excited I am. They’ll get over it!”

 “I’m going to agree with her J.” Marcus said. “Hug her all you want in the car but let’s get out of here before we cause a commotion.”

 “Fine.” AJ said and put her down. “Let’s go. I have a surprise for you anyway!”

 Kat groaned. “I don’t like surprises.”

 “You’re gonna love this one!” AJ said with a twinkle in his eye.