- Text Size +

Kat knocked on the bathroom door.

“AJ? Are you ok? Please let me in.”

 “Go away Kat.”

That was the last straw. She pushed open the door and found AJ sitting on the floor with his head against the wall.

 “I told you not to come in Kat.”

 “I don’t care what you told me AJ. I’m done with you pushing me away whenever you don’t want to talk.”

 She sat down on the floor next to him and realized that there were tears running down his cheeks.

 “Please tell me what’s wrong AJ. I care about you and I want to help. Please AJ?”

 Kat was surprised when he put his head on her shoulder and wrapped his arms around her.

 “I’m so sorry Kat.”

 He started crying and she had no idea what was going on.

 “It’s going to be ok AJ. Whatever it is, I promise I’ll be here for you.”

 She held onto him tightly while he told her everything he could remember. When he was finished, he waited for her to get up and leave. She didn’t move and he looked up at her with sad eyes.

 “Why aren’t you leaving?”

 She looked down at him. “Why would I leave AJ?”

 “Because I fucked up.”

 “But you didn’t fuck up AJ. You didn’t do anything wrong.”

 “I slept with her.”

“Did you really? Do you even know whether you did or didn’t?”

 “No but Nick said he saw her leave.”

 “Who cares. Honestly AJ, it doesn’t matter whether you did or you didn’t. You don’t have to explain yourself to me.”

 “But..”

 “No buts AJ. You don’t have to tell me anything. It’s not like we’re dating and you cheated on me.”

 AJ sat there thinking that’s exactly what it felt like. He sat up straight and put his head in his hands.

 “AJ please don’t keep pushing me away.”

 He looked at her. “Can you give me five minutes?”

 She looked at him sideways.

 “I promise. Five minutes. If I’m not back out by then, you can come drag me out.”

 Kat smiled. “I’m holding you to that McLean!” She stood up and walked over to the door. “Five minutes and I’m timing you!”

 AJ smiled for the first time that morning. “Five minutes.”

 -----------------------------------------

Kat rejoined Nick and Denise in the living room explaining that AJ promised he would be out in five minutes.

 “What happened Kat?” Denise asked hoping that her son had told her.

 “I’m not completely sure. He said she came barging over last night, they had an argument and then he got sick and passed out. I think she put something in his drink.”

 Denise was stunned. “Would you two mind if I went and checked on Alex?”

 Nick and Kat nodded and watched Denise walk down the hallway.

 “She’s a bitch!” Nick and Kat said in unison and both started laughing.

 “I really hate her.” Nick said.

 “Hate her? I’d like to find her skinny ass and shove her back under whatever rock she crawled out from.”

Nick chuckled. “Remind me not to make you mad.”

 Kat looked at him. “I don’t normally get this mad, but I’m tired of watching her jerk AJ around. I wish he’d find someone that deserves him and that wouldn’t go out of her way to hurt him.”

 “Maybe he already has.” Nick asked.

 “He has another girlfriend?” Kat asked stunned. “He didn’t tell me about her.”

 Nick laughed so hard he fell off the arm of the sofa.

 Kat was about to say something when AJ and Denise rounded the corner and noticed Nick on the floor.

 “Really dude?” AJ asked. “I’m having a tough time and you’re rolling around on the floor laughing.”

 He went over and kicked him gently with his foot.

 “Sorry J, but you have a comedian here.” he said pointing at Kat.

 Kat shrugged her shoulders when AJ looked at her. “I don’t know. He said you had found a girl that you liked and I said that you didn’t mention her to me.”

 Denise and AJ started to laugh.

 “What!? I don’t get what’s so funny.” Kat looked back and forth between the three of them.

 “Why don’t we leave these two alone Nick? You can walk me out to my car.”

 Denise and Nick said their goodbyes and left.

 AJ sat down next to Kat on the sofa.

“I really don’t get it AJ. What’s so damn funny?”

 He pulled her over to him and wrapped his arms around her. “Nothing. Absolutely nothing is funny about it.”

 Kat shook her head and smiled. “I don’t get you guys.”

 “You get me Kat. That’s why I love you.”

 Kat froze on the couch. She was too stunned to say anything. They sat there for a few minutes in silence before Kat suddenly leapt up and told AJ she would be back. She made a beeline for the bathroom and closed the door.

 What the hell was going on here?