- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

**Spoiler Alert: I give away the ending of the movie "One Day" in the second half of the chapter.

Kat ran down the stairs hoping to get back into the bathroom before he caught her. She went careening through the hallway and started to run into the bathroom when she noticed AJ standing, with his arms folded, right inside the doorway.

 “The bathroom huh?” he asked and raised his eyebrow. “I came back because I wanted to make sure you didn’t fall in and the bathroom’s empty.”

 Kat turned about ten shades of red. “Ummm, sorry, I was leaving the bathroom when I heard my phone ring. I had to get it.”

 AJ laughed. “Then why do you look like you’re returning to the scene of the crime.”

 Kat’s brain froze. “Um, I wanted to make sure I didn’t leave the sink running?”

 This just made AJ laugh harder. “You are the worst liar I’ve ever met!”

 “I’m not lying! Really!”

 “Ok Honest Abe.” AJ turned her around and pushed her out of the bathroom. “Let’s go watch a movie or something before you decide to bolt again.”

 “Whatever McLean!” she said elbowing him in the stomach.

 AJ felt himself relax a little. Maybe he hadn’t scared her off. He really wanted to tell her how he felt but he didn’t know if he could take her running away from him. This was something he was really going to have to think about.

 --------------------- 

“I can’t believe I let you talk me into watching that.” AJ groaned and reached for the remote.

 “What’s wrong with One Day?”

 “Seriously Kat? I just had to watch two people spend twenty years pretending like they didn’t love each other and then, when they finally get their shit together and start to build a life together, she dies! What the hell kind of movie is that?”

 “A good one!”

 “You’re kidding me right? She died!”

 “I know but at least they knew they loved each other.”

 “So that’s the good thing?”

 “Maybe.”

 AJ just shook his head. “I don’t get women.”

 Kat flicked him on the shoulder. “We don’t get you guys either. In fact, the two people in that movie might have gotten together sooner and maybe had a great relationship if the guy smartened up and told her how he really felt.”

 AJ’s head jerked up and he stared at her.

 “What?” Kat looked at him confused. “I’m just saying that guys take their sweet time telling women how they feel and end up wasting time they could have had together.”

 AJ’s head swam. Was she just making an observation or was she trying to get him to tell her how he felt?

“AJ? AJ? Earth to AJ?” Kat yelled waving her hands in front of his face. “Hello? Anyone in there?”

“What? I’m here” he said finally coming back into reality. “You can stop waving your arms now.”

 “Just checking. It looked like you went into the Twilight Zone or something.”

 He shook his head. “No, I’m fine. I think I’m just tired. I didn’t get much sleep last night.”

 Kat laughed. “You probably didn’t but I’m back tonight. I promise to fight off any crazy chicks who try to slip stuff in your drink and have their way with you!”

 AJ burst out laughing and pulled her close to him. “I appreciate that. Knowing you have my back will make it much easier to sleep!”

 Kat smiled at him. “That’s why you keep me around.”

 She stood up and pulled him off the couch. They walked upstairs and said goodnight in front of Kat’s room.

 “Night AJ. Sweet dreams and try to get some rest ok?”

 “I will you too.” He leaned down and kissed her cheek. “Night Kat.”

 She turned and went into her room and he headed off to his. He hoped he would be able to sleep but something nagged at him and he doubted sleep would actually come.