- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thank you to Sapphire and JordansLady for the comments and feedback. Hope these chapters are ok!

Denise arrived an hour later and AJ met her at the door.

 “Hi Ma.” he said giving her a hug.

 “Hi sweetheart.” Denise paused for a minute. “Does Kat know I’m coming?”

 “Of course she does. I talked to her about it before I called you.”

 “And she was ok with it?”

 AJ smiled. “Yes Ma. She’s fine with it.”

 “Ok.” Denise said, slightly relieved. She had decided to put aside whatever concerns she had and try to see things from AJ’s perspective. After their last fight, she didn’t want to strain their relationship any further and if that meant accepting Kat wholeheartedly, then that’s what she would do.

 She followed her son down the hallway and into the kitchen. Kat was setting the table and turned around when she heard them come in. She stayed quiet because she wasn’t sure how Denise would react to her being there.

 Denise walked over to Kat and gave her a hug. “How are you?”

 “I’m good, how are you?” Kat asked, relaxing slightly.

 “I’m fine. Thank you for having me over for dinner. I know it’s the night before Thanksgiving and you have a lot going on. I wish you guys had let me take you out to dinner.”

AJ laughed as the doorbell rang. “Pizza and salad is here!”

 Denise chuckled. “I see my son did the cooking tonight.”

 “He wanted to give me a break since I’m doing the cooking for tomorrow.” Kat said with a smile.

 “I was trying to be considerate.” AJ said coming back down the hallway with the pizza. “My mother taught me that.”

 “I apparently taught you how to call for takeout too!”

 Kat couldn’t stop herself from laughing. “He does it quite well!”

 “Stop picking on me.” AJ said kissing his mom on the cheek and pulling Kat into a hug. “Let’s eat.”

 ----------------

The dinner went well and by the end, Kat felt much more comfortable with Denise. She seemed to be more receptive of Kat this time around and it made for a nice night. Denise had even offered to help Kat get the turkeys in the oven.

 “Can I help?” AJ asked.

 “No.” Kat and Denise replied in unison.

 “That hurts.” AJ said putting a hand over his heart. “No one wants my help.”

 “Why don’t you finish cleaning up the living room and dining room so we don’t have to do it in the morning?” Kat suggested.

 “Fine. I can tell when I’m not wanted.” He pretended to tear up and left the room.

 Kat pulled out the two turkeys and unwrapped the stuffing she had made earlier.

 “That smells wonderful.” Denise commented.

 “Thank you.”

 “What can I help you with?”

 “Would you mind stuffing one of the turkeys so we can get both of them in the oven at the same time?”

 “Of course not.” Denise listened as Kat explained how she was going to do it and they went right to work.

 It took them about twenty minutes to finish and then Denise helped her get some of the appetizers ready.

 “I can come over in the morning if you need the help.”

 “I don’t want you to have to work on Thanksgiving. My friend Brenda will be helping me.”

 “It’s not a problem. I’m used to cooking for these guys and trust me, you should take all the help you can get.” Denise laughed softly.

 “I’d appreciate it. I’m starting to find that just cooking for your son and Nick is an all-day process.”

 “Adding in Brian, Howie, Kevin and their families makes it an impossible task. What time is everyone coming?”

 “We told them around one.”

 “Then I’ll be here at ten to help you and Brenda with everything else.”

 “Thank you Denise.” Kat paused for a few seconds. “I don’t mean just for the help. Thank you for giving me a chance. I know you’re very protective of your son and I understand your concern. I promise not to disappoint you.”

 “I’m sure you won’t.” Denise said giving her a hug. “Is there anything else you need before I head home?”

 “I think we’re good.” Kat said with a smile. “I’ll see you in the morning.”

 Kat hugged AJ’s mom and walked her out after she said goodbye to her son. Kat came back in and found AJ sprawled out on the couch.

 “Cleaning tired you out huh?” Kat said moving his feet so she could sit.

 “Wiped me out completely.” he said pretending to yawn.

 “That’s a shame. I was going to suggest that we enjoy the time alone we have before Brenda and Nick get back but I guess…………..”

 AJ jumped up and pulled Kat to her feet. He crushed his mouth against hers and drew her against him tightly. “I just got my second wind.”

 “I can see that.” Kat smiled and raced him up to the bedroom.