- Text Size +

AJ woke up before Kat again and watched her sleeping peacefully on the other half of the bed. She had been sound asleep before he even made it to the room and he was hoping that whatever was bothering her last night would be gone by this morning. He really wanted to surprise her with the gift he had.

Kat finally stirred and turned over to find AJ watching her.

“Good morning.” she said with a smile. She saw the relief wash over AJ’s face and she felt bad for snapping at him last night after her talk with Brenda. “I’m sorry for last night. I didn’t mean to be such a jerk.”

“You weren’t. I know you’re stressed out and tired. I was just hoping that we could have a better day today.”

 Kat leaned over and kissed him. “I promise we will. Merry Christmas AJ.”

“Merry Christmas Kat. I love you.”

 “Love you too.”

 ------------------------

Kat pulled Brenda aside before everyone got there.

 “I’m sorry for lashing out at you last night. I know you’re concerned but I’m telling you that I’m fine. I don’t want to fight with you about it.”

 “I don’t want to fight either. You’re my best friend and I’m just concerned.”

 “I know but I promise you that I’m fine.”

 Brenda hesitated for a minute. “Ok, I’ll take you at your word.”

 “Thank you.” Kat said pulling her into a hug. “Love you.”

 “Love you too sweetie.”

 --------------------

 The family gathered for breakfast and then to exchange the Secret Santa gifts. Nick had gotten Brenda for the draw and Kat’s cousins started laughing when she opened the present.

 “What?” Nick asked.

 Brenda turned the card over and over again in her hand. “Seriously buddy? A gift card for a supermarket?”

 “I thought it was a good idea. That way you could stock up the next time I come.”

 “So the gift is kind of for you then?” Chris asked.

 Nick thought about it for a minute. “I guess so.”

 “At least the thought was there.” Kat said trying to make Nick feel better.

 “Thanks Kat.” Nick said blushing.

 Everyone finished opening their gifts. Brenda got Kat some candles and a necklace. AJ got Nick a new video game and Kat got her cousin Chris a new basketball hoop net.

 “That’s to replace the one you ripped the other day trying to act like Michael Jordan!”

 “Funny Kat. Real funny.”

 The family was getting up to leave when Aunt Gina called them all back.  There was a small box still under the tree.

 “Who’s that for?” Chris asked.

 “Why don’t you read the label instead of asking us?” Brenda replied.

 “Wow, you think you’re a comedian too!”

 Nick got down and pulled it out. “It’s for Kat.”

 “But I already got mine.”

 “Apparently Santa must have had the mistaken impression that you’ve been good this year!” Chris said putting in his opinion.

 “You’re an idiot.” Brenda added.

 Nick handed Kat the box and she pulled off the ribbon. When she opened it, she found a small black jewelry box. She just stared at it not knowing what to do.

 “Are you gonna open it or just stare at it?”

 “Shut up Chris.” Brenda hissed.

 Kat pulled open the lid of the box and inside lay a white gold ring with a large cushion cut aquamarine stone surrounded by smaller diamonds. She was so distracted by the gift that she didn’t notice that AJ had knelt down in front of her until she heard Brenda suck in a breath. Looking up, she saw his eyes start to water.

 “This one’s from me Kat.” He took a deep breath. “I always thought that I was living life and accomplishing everything I wanted to but that all changed when I met you. I was a complete jackass when we met but you were able to look past that and really see me. We’ve both been through our share of hard times and I’ve struggled through a lot. Sometimes I didn’t think I would be able to get through them but I know if you’re with me I can handle any challenges that come my way. You deserve someone who will make you the top priority in life and I promise you that no one will work harder than me to make you happy and make you feel loved. I know you’re the one that I want to share the rest of my life with. I’m only hoping that you will make me the luckiest man alive and tell me you’ll marry me. Will you let me be the one?”

 Everyone’s eyes had filled with tears by the time AJ finished speaking. Kat was so stunned by the ring and what he had said that she couldn’t even form words. She shook her head yes and flung her arms around AJ’s neck. He pulled her off the couch, off her feet and kissed her passionately. Neither one of them noticed everybody yelling and cheering. When they finally separated, AJ looked into her eyes and whispered “You’re the reason I’m so happy. Thank you for saying yes.” He pressed his lips against hers again and held her as tightly as possible. Nothing was going to matter after this.