- Text Size +

“Oh my god!” AJ yelled. He rolled over and knelt up near Kat. “I am so sorry.”

 He really meant it. He had been such a jackass lately and now he plowed this woman down because he was trying to go after Nick.

 It took a few moments for Kat to catch her breath.

 “It’s fine.” she whispered. “I’ve gotten worse. Can I get a hand up?”

 “Absolutely!” AJ said standing and reached out for her hand. Once she was standing, he apologized again.

 Kat held up her hand. “It’s fine really. I’m ok.”

“Good job Gracie!” Chris yelled over to his cousin.

 “Shut up Chris!”

 Chris was just about to tease his cousin again when Aunt Gina came out and announced that dessert was ready. Everyone except for Kat and AJ went charging up the back stairs into the house.

 “Gracie?” AJ asked after everyone was gone.

Kat chuckled. “Chris calls me that anytime I do something that’s not graceful.”

 AJ shook his head. “I really am sorry.” He paused for a moment. “I owe you an apology for the way I’ve been acting too. The issues I’m dealing with aren’t your fault and I have been a complete ass to you.” He paused again. “I hope you’ll accept my apology.”

 Kat smiled at him. “Apology accepted.”

 AJ smiled back and stuck out his hand. “Let me try this again. I’m AJ and it’s very nice to meet you.”

“It’s nice to meet you too.” Kat said. “Maybe we should head back up to the house before the guys eat your dessert too!”

 AJ laughed. “Knowing Nick, he already has!”

 -------------------------- 

The guys hung out with Kat’s family for a few more hours. Even AJ had decided to put aside his issues and he had to admit that Kat was great and it was fun being around her family. The guys hated to leave but they knew they had an interview in the morning so they had to say their goodbyes and head back to the hotel. Kat walked them out and thanked them for coming.

“Thank you for inviting us today.” Brian said. “It’s always nice to have a friendly place to go when we can’t be around family.”

 Howie echoed his sentiment. “Your family is terrific and it was so nice of them to have us over. We really appreciate it.”

Kat grinned. “I know it was hard being away from your families but we loved having you here. I’m glad you guys could make it.” The guys hugged Kat and all climbed into the Traverse except for AJ. He had pulled Kat aside, out of earshot of the SUV.

 “Thank you for inviting me even though I’ve been a complete ass to you. I really do appreciate it.” He paused for a minute. “You know, you’re really a great person and I’m sorry I was a jerk.”

 “Like I said, apology accepted.” she said with a smile. “Thank you for coming.”

 AJ hugged her and turned to go back to the car. He stopped after a few steps and then went back to where she was standing.  “Do you mind us calling you the next time we’re in Boston? It would be nice to hang out again.”

 Kat was floored by the question. “Ok.” was all she could manage and she gave AJ her phone number.

 “Thanks.” he said hugging her again. “Talk to you soon!”

 Kat watched as the guys drove away and was amazed at how much she had enjoyed their company.