- Text Size +

Brenda and Nick gave AJ and Kat a little longer and then decided it was time to join them. They walked in to find AJ sitting on the living room floor with Jake playing with some blocks and Kat was lying on the couch watching them. Brenda was stunned to see a smile on both AJ and Kat’s faces.

 “Are you ready for dinner Kat?” Brenda asked and then turned to face Nick. “Are you guys gonna stay?”

 Nick just shrugged his shoulders and pointed at AJ. “It’s up to him.”

 Brenda laughed and gave Nick a playful shove. “Of course it is. You’d never pass up a free meal.”  She turned back to face AJ. “What about you?”

 “I don’t know. I didn’t really think…..” AJ just stopped talking. He didn’t know what to say. It was unnerving to be around Kat but he wanted to spend more time with Jake.

 “It’s ok.” Kat said. “As long as you don’t mind hot dogs. It’s Jake’s favorite food at the moment.”

 AJ looked up and nodded. “I can handle hot dogs.

 -----------------

 Dinner went by without too many moments of silence and AJ loved the fact that he got to see more of his son. He was so overwhelmed watching all of his mannerisms and things that he laughed at. There was so much to learn and he didn’t want to waste a second.

 “Time for nighty nights little man.” Kat said lifting her son out of his highchair as Brenda and Nick cleared the dishes. She turned to AJ. “Do you want to put him to bed?”

 AJ was startled by the question. “Can I?”

 “Sure. Follow me.”

 Kat led AJ upstairs and down the hall to the nursery. When she pushed open the door, AJ saw that she had been telling the truth. There were pictures of them on the wall and on the bureau where his changing table was.

 “It’s beautiful.”

 The nursery itself was painted a light blue and had all light wood furniture. He had a crib, a rocker, a bureau and a changing table. There was a beautiful mobile above the crib with little stars that changed colors as they rotated.

 “What do you usually do to put him to bed?”

 “How about I just tell you want to do and you try?”

 “What if I screw it up?”

 Kat laughed and AJ smiled. “You can’t screw it up. It’s just bedtime.”

 “For some kids that’s a major event. Baylee and James have taught me that.”

 “Well you don’t have to worry. Jake is easy.”

 They got him changed for bed and then Kat told AJ that she liked to rock him to sleep.

 “It’s seems to calm him.”

 AJ laughed. “I’ve spent a few hours with him now and I can tell you, he’s pretty calm in general.”

 “Thanks.” Kat said. “Why don’t you rock him tonight?”

 “Do you mind?”

“Of course not. In fact, I’ll give you some time with him by yourself.” Kat said and started towards the door.

 “Wait!” AJ said. “What if he doesn’t like me?”

 “There’s no one who wouldn’t like you AJ.” Kat closed the door and headed downstairs.

 AJ settled into the rocker, sang a few songs and watched as Jake fell asleep. He kissed him on the forehead and tucked him into the crib.  He quietly opened and closed the door again and joined Nick by the front door.

 “When can I come back and see him?” AJ asked.

 “Anytime you want.” Kat responded.

 “When do you get home from work?”

 Kat and Brenda exchanged a quick glance. “I actually work from home so I’m pretty much here all the time. You can come over whenever you want to.”

 AJ was too busy thinking about what he could do with Jake to notice the look that was passed between the two women.

 “Is tomorrow too soon?”

 “Tomorrow’s fine.” Kat said laughing.

 She walked them to the door and asked AJ to call her when he was ready to come. They said their goodbyes and the guys left.

 “Are you sure you want to be alone with him?” Brenda asked.

 “It’s fine Brenda. We were ok tonight. I think whatever we had is past. He obviously doesn’t feel the same and he’s really angry about me holding back about Jake. I think it’s best if I try to make sure they have as much time together is possible.”

 

Kat yawned and hugged her friend. “Time for bed. See you in the am.” She walked up the stairs slowly and closed the door to her bedroom.

 

I hope time hasn’t erased everything, Brenda thought to herself.