- Text Size +

Kat was just completing the last decoration on Jake’s cake when she heard the doorbell ring. She put the cake back in the fridge and went to grab the door.

 “Hi Kat.” AJ said walking in, followed by Nick.

 “Hi guys. Jake’s down in the living room playing with Brenda.”

 She brought them down and then headed back out to the kitchen.  AJ surprised her by sticking his head around the corner.

“Need any help?”

 “No, but thank you.” Kat smiled. “I’m just finishing dinner.”

 “Smells good.” He grinned and went back out to the living room.

 Kat leaned up against the counter and took a deep breath. She waited a few seconds to pass and then set the table. 

 "Dinner’s ready!” she yelled and moved out of the way. Nick came flying around the corner a minute later barely missing Kat.

 “Sorry.” he said with a sheepish grin.

 “No problem.” Kat said with a chuckle.” That’s why I moved.”

 “Dude, be careful!’ AJ said smacking him in the arm.  “You have eaten before! You almost ran into my…..Kat.” AJ caught himself before he finished his sentence. “You almost ran into Kat.”

 Kat turned around to get the lasagna out of the oven and to hide her blushing face. She had missed being called AJ’s anything and it hurt her that he couldn’t bear to mention her even as a friend.

 Dinner went by with Brenda and Nick trying to carry the conversation. Everyone was grateful when it came time to do the cake. AJ got Jake settled into his high chair and Kat brought out the ice cream cake that she had put little balloons and presents on.

 “Cake looks good Kat.” AJ said quietly.

 “Thanks but I just decorated it.”

 She set in down in front of Jake just out of his reach. They all sang Happy Birthday and then AJ cut a small piece of cake and put it on Jake’s tray.

 “How do you like the cake?” AJ said leaning in to see Jake’s face. His son caught him off guard and smashed a fistful of ice cream all of AJ’s face. Jake started cracking up and Nick, Brenda, and Kat followed suit.

 “Think it’s funny Carter?” AJ asked grabbing a handful of cake. He grabbed a hold of Nick’s shirt to keep him from running and planted it right in his face. All you could see was blonde hair and white icing.

 Brenda was doubled over in laughter and didn’t see Nick coming with a piece for her. Before she could stop him, he covered her face with ice cream and jimmies.

 AJ was looking around and spotted Kat sitting at the kitchen table. She was laughing at all of them and had tears come out of her eyes.

 “What are you laughing at?” he asked Kat with a grin. Her smile faded, she jumped up and tried to run to the hallway. AJ was too fast for her and caught her by the arm. He spun her into him and used his finger to run icing around her cheek. Stopping at her lips, he looked into her eyes and felt all the old feelings come flooding back to him. Startled by AJ leaning in towards her, she backed up and whacked her arm into the doorjamb.

 “Owww!” she cried and grabbed her funny bone.

 “Bet ya that’s not funny!” Nick said laughing.

 “Idiot.” AJ said mumbling under his breath. He steered Kat over to the kitchen table and sat her down. “Where’s your ice pack?”

 “In the bathroom closet.”

 “I’ll be right back.”

 AJ went into the bathroom and cleaned his face. Once he had all the ice cream off, he turned and opened the closet. He was rummaging around looking for the ice pack when he noticed several prescription bottles labeled with Kat’s name. He pulled the nearest bottle out and turned it over in his hand.

 Digoxin

 Why does that name sounds familiar? He racked his brain trying to figure out where he’d heard that name before. He found the ice pack he was looking for and grabbed the prescription bottle.

 He stopped in the doorway of the kitchen and watched as everyone else cleaned up their faces. Kat was sitting at the table, keeping an eye on Jake as he ate his cake. She looked up when she noticed AJ enter the room and was surprised to see the look on his face.

 “What’s the matter J?” Nick asked seeing his facial expression.

 AJ ignored his question and held up the prescription bottle. Brenda gasped when she saw what he was holding.

 "What’s this?” he asked Kat with an angry look on his face.

 Kat’s face paled and she waited a minute before answering. “My last secret.”