- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thank you Sapphire, backstreet_lady, JordansLady, Hazel and BeastieBarb for all the reviews. I'm glad you guys are liking the story and I'm always looking for feedback. Thank you!

AJ hadn’t been able to sleep at all that night. He got up and called the only person he knew who would be up.

 “Hi sweetheart.” Denise answered on the second ring. “What are you doing up so early?”

 “I need to talk to you. Can you come over?”

 Denise started to worry. “Is everything ok? You haven’t been….”

 “No, I haven’t had anything to drink. It’s not about that. Can you come over?”

 “Of course. I’ll be right there.”

 Denise must have broken the speed limit because twenty minutes later she rang AJ’s doorbell. She saw the stress and worry that was all over her face and she was getting really concerned.

 “Please tell me what this is all about AJ.” she said settling herself down on the sofa.

 AJ sighed and started to explain Kat being there and Jake being his son. He was talking so much that he started to ramble on about her being sick and not knowing what he was going to do. He finally finished and watched his mother for her reaction.

 Denise was trying to absorb everything he had told her and really wasn’t sure what she should say.

 “What do you think Ma?”

 “About which part honey? There’s a lot to go through.”

 “Let’s start with you having another grandson.”

 “I think that’s absolutely wonderful.”

 “Do you want me to ask Kat for a paternity test?”

 “No, why would I?”

 “You asked when Michelle told us she was pregnant and I didn’t get one.”

 Denise sighed. “Kat is not Michelle sweetheart. I believe Kat when she says he’s your son. I cannot imagine that she would make up something like that.”

 “Really?”

 “Yes really. When am I going to meet him?”

 “Whenever you want. Kat was supposed to bring him by today but I haven’t called her to see if she’s still coming.”

 “Ah the fight.”

 “She hid more stuff from me!”

 “You’re right, she did. But this is something that’s a huge issue AJ. I can’t imagine it being easy to talk about. You have to remember everything Brian went through. She’s out here with her friend and a baby. You two are just starting to get along and spend time together for Jake’s sake. Maybe she was waiting.”

 “Waiting for what? To get even sicker?”

 “Be fair AJ. I’m sure this isn’t enjoyable for her and it’s probably very scary. She left her family across the country so that she could bring Jake out here to you. You might want to cut her some slack.”

 “I don’t like that she’s hiding stuff.”

 “And you’re not?”

 AJ looked at his mother with surprise. “What am I hiding?”

 “Try the fact that you still love her.”

 “I don’t…”

 “Hold it right there. I raised you AJ and I know when you’re lying. Did you really think that you fooled anyone into believing that you stopped loving her when she left? Now she’s back here with your son and you’re spending more time with her.”

 AJ knew it was pointless to argue with his mother. He did still love her but so many things had changed. 

 “Are you mad?”

“Mad that you still love her? Why would I be?”

 “Because of everything we went through.”

 “I understand more now than I did before Ray told us what happened. Kat may have made some bad decisions and choices, but I really believe she’s a good person. I mean how long did she put up with me giving her a hard time about dating you. Most women would have run for the door!”

 AJ laughed. “Good point.”

 “So are you going to tell her?”

 “I don’t think so, at least not right now. I feel like I really need to understand everything before I can decide anything.”

 “Can I make two suggestions?”

 “Sure Ma.”

 “Number one is I think you should talk to Brian about what he went through so you can understand how Kat feels.”

 AJ nodded. “What’s the second one?”

 “Be her friend. She needs people right now AJ and even if you guys don’t work out romantically, at least you two could be friends and have a good relationship for Jake.”

 “Can I ask you something about that?”

 “Sure.”

 “What if I decide I want more?”

 “Then you guys will have to talk. Take this slow AJ. For both of your sakes.”

 He reached over and hugged his mother. “Thank you.”

 “You’re welcome.”

 ----------------

 AJ called Kat’s house and was surprised when Brenda answered Kat’s cell.

 “Hey Brenda. Everything ok?”

 “Yeah it’s fine, why?”

 “You’re answering Kat’s cell.”

“She’s sleeping but she knew you wanted to see Jake today so she asked me to bring him over if you want.”

 “Ok. Do you mind bringing him? My mother’s here and she’d like to meet him.”

 “No problem. I have to pack up some stuff and then I’ll come by.”

 “Thanks Brenda.”

 “Welcome.”

 -------------

 Brenda hung up and turned to Kat.

 “Am I gonna have answer the phone every time he calls? Am I also going to be the taxi? Kind of like Driving Miss Daisy?”

 “I’m sorry Brenda. I just don’t know what to say to him. He was angry last night and I took his head off.”

 “You two are going to have to talk at some point. You’re both Jake’s parents.”

 “I know but I think it’s best if we just stay that way, his parents and nothing else.”

 Brenda sighed. She knew Kat loved AJ but she was a stubborn woman and once she decided on something, it was damn near impossible to change her mind.

 -------------------

 AJ and Denise spent the day with Jake taking him to the park and out to get ice cream. Brenda offered to come get him but AJ said he would drop him off. He wanted to see Kat and try to apologize for the night before.

 “Hi AJ.” Brenda said opening the door. “How’d today go?”

 “Great. Kat’s right, he really is a happy baby.”

 “How was your mom?”

 “Terrific. She already loves him and she kept going on and on about how much he looks like me as a baby and how we have the same quirky looks.”

 Brenda laughed. “I’m glad you guys had fun. It’s time for a bath and bedtime I think.”

 AJ handed Jake to Brenda. “Is Kat around?”

 “Um, she’s in bed I think.”

 “Is she ok? When I called earlier she was sleeping.”

 “Just wiped out from everything. She’ll be around tomorrow so give her a call if you want to come over.”

 “I actually have to do some work tomorrow but can I come by on Saturday?”

 “Yeah no problem. I’ll let her know you’re coming.”

 “Thanks Brenda. Night.”

 “Night AJ.”

 Kat watched from the upstairs window as AJ pulled away. This was going to be harder than she thought.