- Text Size +

Kat woke up the next morning and it took her a few moments to realize that she had fallen asleep on the living room sofa. She started to get nervous when she looked down and saw an arm draped over her. Wiggling under it and turning around slowly, she came face to face with AJ. She smiled as she recalled the mornings she had awoken to him sleeping on the other side of the bed. However, the smile slowly faded as regret moved in. If she hadn’t listened to Michelle, this could have been her life every day.

 AJ must have sensed her staring at him because his eyelids started to flutter. When he finally opened his eyes all the way, his jaw dropped open. He found Kat lying there with a smile and he thought he must be dreaming. He started to sit up and wound up falling off the side of the couch because he didn’t have enough room.

 Kat leaned over the side and burst out laughing as she watched AJ rubbing his back. She was so distracted by the look on his face that she didn’t see him reach his arm up. He pulled her off the couch and she landed on the floor next to him.

 “Think it’s that funny huh?”

 AJ started to tickle her and watched as tears streamed down her face. It reminded him of all the fun they had together. She was so beautiful and he couldn’t help himself. He leaned in to kiss her and was only inches away when he heard giggling over the baby monitor.

 “Apparently someone else would like to join the party.” Kat said as she tried to control her laughter.

 AJ smiled. “I’ll go get him.”

 Kat watched as AJ got up and headed to the stairs. She lay there for a few minutes and then brushed herself off and headed to the kitchen to make pancakes.

 ------------

 Jake enjoyed his pancakes as usual and AJ got a chance to talk to Kat about something else that he had been thinking of.

 “You know how I asked you to move in with me last night?”

 “What, you changed your mind already?” Kat asked with a chuckle.

 “Hell no! I just had another question I wanted to ask.”

 “What?”

 AJ thought for a minute about how to put it. “We would all like you, Jake and Brenda to have Thanksgiving with us this year.”

 Kat looked at him with wide eyes. "After everything I did, I'm not sure everyone would be excited to see me."

"Yes they would be and if you mean my mom, she understands what you did now. She wasn't happy that it played out the way it did but it's over and done with. She wants me to be happy."

 "Well Jake definitely makes you happy."

 "Jake's not the only one who makes me happy."

 Kat blushed. "I make you happy because of Jake."

 "No, it's more than that. I want you at Thanksgiving, not just Jake. Both of you. We're a family Kat and families spend holidays together."

 "I don't want to cause any issues."

 "No one is going to have an issue with you and if they do, they can take it up with me. It's my house, my rules, my way."

 "Ok Mr. Bossy." she said with a grin. "I guess since you put it that way then I have to go."

 "Wow, no argument at all? Am I starting to get through to you?"

 "Don't get a big head. You're lucky I caved in buddy."

 "Ok, ok. I'm going to have it catered so no one has to cook and we can just enjoy the day."

 "Are you sure I can't do anything?"

 "I'm positive. Just bring you and the little monkey and the day will be perfect."

 "I guess I can handle that."

"Good." AJ looked at his phone. "I hate to eat and run but we have a meeting in an hour and I need to pick up some stuff."

 Kat turned to unhook Jake from the chair and AJ leaned down to kiss her on the cheek. Kat surprised him by turning back around and instead of getting her cheek, he got her lips. He waited for her to pull back and was thrilled when she didn't. He didn't want to push so he lightly kissed her again and ran his hand through her hair.

 "I'll see you."

 Kat nodded and smiled. "See you soon."