- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm sorry for the long delay in updating and answering the reviews. Thank you for the patience!
Two weeks later

“Are you sure about this?”

Kat laughed and grinned at AJ. “I think Nick and Brenda can handle the boys for one night. We’re just going Christmas shopping.”

AJ sighed. “I know but Nick is like a big kid himself. Brenda’s gonna be watching three boys, not two.”

“She can take it. You do remember that we both worked with teenagers right? I think three boys will be just fine.” She paused for a minute. “In fact, I think I have to worry more about you then her.”
AJ’s mouth dropped open. “Me? Why do you have to worry about me?”

“Do you remember the first day I brought Jake over to your house?” she asked with a grin.

“Yeah but what does that have to do with anything?” AJ answered, wracking his brain to figure out what she was talking about.

“Really? You don’t remember?” Kat asked. When he shrugged his shoulders, she let out a sigh. “Let me help you. It looked like Toys R Us was having a warehouse sale in your living room. There were so many toys that the three of us could barely move. I almost left you at home tonight because I thought you might buy out the store again and we’d have to build an addition to your house just for the boys’ things!”

“Our house.” AJ corrected her with a chuckle. “And I promise not to do that again.”

“Let me hear you say that again without you crossing your fingers behind your back!” Kat said giggling. “I can’t trust you can I?”

AJ stopped walking and pulled Kat into a hug. He leaned down, kissing her gently. Pulling back, he leaned his forehead against hers.

“You can always trust me for the important things.”

“I know.” she replied and kissed him again.

AJ smiled and let her go. “Let’s get this over with so we can get home.”

“Sounds good.”

---------------------

Kat had kept a tight hold on AJ while finishing their shopping and only let him buy a small mountain of things for the boys. She wanted the kids to have what they needed but she didn’t want them to get spoiled.

“We could have gotten more. It would fit in the back.” AJ said to her on the drive home.

“I know but they don’t need anything else. Toys are great but I really want them to have family not stuff. That’s the most important thing.”

“I know and they will. Both of us, our families and friends. Everyone’s going to look out for these two and love them insanely.” AJ said as he pulled into the driveway.

“Good because that’s what I want for them.”

AJ looked over and noticed the sadness that was creeping over Kat.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, putting the truck into park.
“Nothing. Just tired.” Kat responded and got out. She grabbed some packages and quickly walked into the house.

AJ jumped out and followed her. He was so distracted that he almost barreled into Nick who was coming out to help him with the bags.

“Whoa! Easy there J!”

“Sorry Nick.” he said to his brother and pushed past him.

“What’s up wi…..” Brenda started to ask as AJ walked past her quickly. “What the hell?”

Nick shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. I saw Kat bringing in bags and thought I’d help. AJ damn near ran me over to get to her.”

Nick and Brenda watched as AJ sped up and caught up to her on the back deck.

“Let’s just get this stuff in.” Nick suggested.

“Sure.” Brenda asked. She thought she knew what this was about and she hoped AJ could help.