- Text Size +
“What time are Nick and Brenda going to be here?” Kat asked as she finished getting dressed.

“They should be here any minute now.”

“And Nick doesn’t mind them coming here?”

“Nah, he loves the boys and he gets to spend the holiday with people who love him.”

Kat smiled and kissed AJ. “You really are his big brother huh?”

“Absolutely.” he answered with a smile. “I’m looking forward to exchanging some gifts tonight.”

“Me too.” Kat said with a chuckle. “I feel like a little kid again. The boys are going to love their gifts and I hope you like yours.”

AJ wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her into a tight embrace. “I already have my gifts. You and the boys are all I’m ever going to need.”

“That’s good to know. I want to remind you of what I said last night; you’re stuck with us now!”

“And I’ll repeat what I said. I’m not stuck, I’m lucky.”

AJ followed Kat to the boys’ room and helped her get them changed. The foursome had just made it downstairs when the doorbell rang.

“Merry Christmas!” Nick yelled as AJ let them in. “When do we get to open presents?”

“Psents! Psents! Psents!” Jake and Ryan yelled in unison.

“Thanks Nicky.” AJ exclaimed as he smacked his little brother on the back of the head. “Next time can you try spelling it instead of saying it?”

Nick scooted by AJ, grabbed a hug from Kat and took off into the living room with Jake and Ryan under his arms.

“He’s going to be a great dad.” Kat said with a smile.

“Watch it!” Brenda yelped. “That is not coming down the pike anytime soon!”

Kat laughed. “You never know when these things are going to happen. They have a mind of their own!”

“Ours certainly did!” AJ said hugging Brenda. “When are you two finally going to take the next step?”

“Maybe five years from now! I am so not in wife/mommy mode quite yet.”

The three of them headed to the living room where they found Nick lying on the floor covered with wrapping paper.

“Dude! Really?” AJ shouted.

“Not my fault! They must have found some extra over by the tree.” Nick explained as Jake placed a bow on his forehead.

“Awww.” Kat said with a giggle. “Nick gets to be a gift!”

“Very funny!”

Brenda and Kat walked away laughing while AJ tried to help Nick get the bows out of his hair.

“Did you tell Kat yet?” he whispered to AJ.

“No, it’s a surprise.”

“You’re full of them lately.”

“They’ve only just started.” he replied with a grin.

“There’s more than tonight’s?”

“Yup. One more but it’s a big one.”

“Are you gonna tell me or do I have to wait too?”

“I’m not telling you! You already know about the first two so I want to keep something a secret from you.”

“So not fair.”

AJ helped Nick out and they herded Jake and Ryan into the kitchen where Brenda and Kat were waiting.

“What’s for dinner?” Nick asked as he entered the room.

AJ just shook his head. “We’re just gonna do some lasagna and salad.”

“We figured it would be easy……”

The doorbell cut Kat’s sentence off and she turned to AJ.

“Are we expecting more company?”

“No, I have no idea who that is. No one else is coming over.”

AJ started towards the front door and Kat followed him. He pulled open the door and Kat’s jaw dropped.

“Merry Christmas!” someone yelled.