- Text Size +
AJ arrived at the hospital to find chaos outside Kat’s room.

“What’s going on?” he demanded.

“Your fiancée’s heart stopped and we’re trying to get it started.”

Two nurses pushed by him and he could hear the doctor barking out orders. It took a few minutes but he heard the heart monitor start up again. His heart started beating stronger at that moment and he knew he had to find Dr. Anderson.

He was heading to look for him when he noticed the doctor talking to one of the nurses in the adjoining hallway.

“Dr. Anderson? Can I speak to you?”

“Hi AJ. Of course. Why don’t we talk in private? I can have the nurse bring the paperwork here.”

AJ followed him into the lounge and was about to tell him why he was here when Brenda came rushing through followed by Nick.

“Don’t do it AJ!” she yelled grabbing AJ’s arm. “I’m sorry for everything I said but please don’t do this.”

AJ held onto her hand. “Her heart stopped again Bren.”

“I know I heard the nurses talking. Please give her a chance. Please don’t sign this paper.”

“I’m not going to sign it.”

His response shocked everyone. They all thought he was there to sign the DNR order and now he was shaking his head.

“AJ, this is the second time it’s stopped in the last few days. Please think about…”

“I’m sorry Dr. Anderson. I need to speak to Kat for a few minutes. If her heart stops again after I talk to her then I’ll sign the order.”

“But AJ….” Brenda started to plead.

“I love Kat more than anything. Please trust me Brenda.”

Brenda knew she wasn’t going to be able to change his mind so she just nodded and watched him walk down to Kat’s room.

Nick wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly. “AJ knows what he’s doing. We have to have faith in him.”

----------------------

AJ pulled a chair over to Kat’s bed and sat down. He took her hand and held on to it as tightly as he could. On the car ride to the hospital, he rehearsed what he was going to say over and over again. Now that he was here, he was having trouble finding the right words.

“Hey you.” he whispered. “You seem to be keeping all the nurses and doctors on their toes tonight.”

He stopped to wipe some tears from his face. What he said next needed to work because he didn’t know what else to do.

“I don’t know if you can hear me or not, but I need to say some things to you. I read your letter tonight. I got so angry that I smashed the bottle and I needed to read it Kat. I can’t stand you not being here and if I couldn’t talk to you, I needed to hear you talk to me. I have a few things to say to you now and you had better listen.”

He took a deep breath and started again.

“I love you more than I have ever loved anyone or anything. I love you more than life and I would trade places with you in an instant. I want to take all your pain away and I only want you to feel that peace that you told me about in your letter. So much has happened and I don’t know how to stop it and bring you back.”

Nick and Brenda walked by Kat’s room and could hear him talking to her.

“I feel horrible that you thought I hadn’t forgiven you. There are things in our relationship that I’ve done and you’ve done but it doesn’t matter anymore. We moved past all of it and all I want to focus on is the here and now. I want us to get married, have twenty more kids and grow old together.”

Brenda started to tear up as she continued to listen.

“One more thing. You promised me that you would fight with everything you had in order to keep us together. Please don’t lie to me and break that promise. I need you to give everything you have and fight to make your heart stronger. I can’t live the rest of my life without you and I can’t function without you here. Don’t lie to me and give up on us. You need to come back right now and fight with me!”

AJ started to cry and Brenda’s heart was breaking for him. She knew he was going through hell and she felt awful for lashing out at him instead of trying to be supportive. Wiping her tears, she walked across the room and put her hand on AJ’s shoulder. He looked up at her and she could see the tears streaming down his face.

“I think she’ll be back soon AJ.”

“How do you know?”

Brenda smiled for the first time in days. “You just challenged her and she would never back down from a challenge.”

AJ looked at her with a sad smile. “I hope you’re right. I would give anything to have her back, even if it meant she kicked my ass.”

------------------------------------

Brenda asked AJ if she could sit with Kat for a little while and he agreed to go down to the cafeteria with Nick. They both got some coffee and sat down at one of the small tables.

“Is there anything I can do for you J?”

AJ shook his head. “Not unless you can make her heart stronger and keep beating.”

“I wish I could. I know I’m Superman and all, but that isn’t one of my abilities.” Nick joked trying to bring some comic relief.

“You’re an idiot.” AJ responded with a sad smile.

“Thanks, I love you too.” Nick paused for minute. “What you and Kat have is strong J. I know she’ll come back to you. She’s a stubborn woman and I agree with Bren, she’d never back down from a challenge.”

“I hope you’re right…..”

He was cut off by Brenda who came flying into the cafeteria to find them. She had tears streaming down her face.

“It’s Kat!”