- Text Size +
Kat was so lost in staring at her gift that she didn’t see AJ slide across the floor and kneel in front of her. When she finally looked up, she saw that everyone was watching her. Turning her attention to AJ, she noticed tears forming in his eyes.

“Do you recognize this?”

Kat nodded and her eyes welled up. AJ took the box from her and pulled out the ring that he first proposed to her with.

“I can’t believe you kept it.” she whispered.

“I think I subconsciously knew that I’d get a second chance to do this.”

He took her hand and held it tightly. “You and I have been through so much over the last two years and it’s taught me a lot of things. The first is that you may be the most stubborn woman I have ever met but you are the only one I want to give in to. The second is that you have always seen in me the man I’ve wanted to be. I’ve done my fair share of stupid things but you still see past that. The third is that I can’t live my life without you. I’ve seen what my world is like when you’re not in it and I can’t imagine ever having to go through that again. I honestly don’t think I would be able to.”

He paused to let what he said sink in. At this point, everyone was crying or had tears in their eyes.

“I made a promise to you two years ago. I promised to make sure that you knew you were loved and to always be there for you through the good and the bad. I remember telling you that I would do whatever it took to make you happy and I truly meant that. Maybe there have been a few things that strained our relationship, but that promise means as much to me now as it did when I first made it. Having you in my life makes me the luckiest man alive and I want it to stay that way forever.”

He took a deep breath. “I’m asking you, Kat Brady, to let me burn your breakfast, lecture you about taking on too much, sweep you off your feet and keep you safe. I’m asking you to let me love you. Please let me love you.”

Kat had tears streaming down her face as AJ slid the ring on to her finger.

“Will you marry me Kat?”

She couldn’t speak as she absorbed everything he just said. After a moment, she was able to get her head to nod and watched as a smile spread across AJ’s face. He pulled her face close to his and kissed her passionately. Everyone in the room started clapping and cheering but the only thing Kat could concentrate on was the look in AJ’s eyes. She saw all the love he had for her and she couldn’t imagine ever losing him again.

AJ pulled her up from the couch and wrapped his arms around her tightly. He pressed his lips to hers again and she knew now what people meant when they say that someone took their breath away. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him closer. Moving her mouth close to his ear, she whispered “I love you AJ McLean and I can’t wait to marry you!”

“Let’s do it tomorrow!” he whispered back with a laugh.

“No way!” Brenda said finally hugging her best friend. “We need to go shopping for dresses and flowers and everything else.”

“I agree!” Denise said with tears coming down her face. “I can’t wait for you to be my daughter-in-law but I want you two to have the most amazing day possible.”

“I’m so happy for the two of you.” Brian added with wet eyes. “I want you two to be together for the rest of your lives.”

Leighanne, Leigh, and Kristen all seconded that feeling and told her how excited they were to have her join the family.

Nick picked her up and swung her around. “It’s official; you’re stuck with all of us now!”

She laughed as he set her down and Howie swept her into a hug.

“You just made us all a lot happier. You two truly belong together.”

She nodded and hugged everyone else. She finally made it back to AJ’s arms and became conscious of the fact that she had never felt as happy as she did in that moment. There was nothing that could take this feeling away and she wanted to remember it for the rest of her life.