- Text Size +
Kat was changing the boys when she heard the doorbell ring and listened as she heard Nick and Brenda’s voices. The families decided they would get together and have a big New Year’s celebration at AJ and Kat’s house. Everyone knew how nervous she was getting and they wanted to keep her mind off it before she drove herself crazy.

AJ came into the room a few minutes later to see how she was doing. “You need anything?”

“Actually, the boys are all set but I was just gonna change my clothes before heading down. Can you take them by yourself?”

“Yeah.” He picked the two boys up and kissed her cheek. He noticed the circles under her eyes were getting a little darker. “Are you sure you’re ok?”

“I’m fine, just nervous. I’ll be down in a few minutes ok?”

“Alright.” AJ said reluctantly and headed down to visit with their family.

Kat was grateful that AJ didn’t push it. She had been getting more tired lately and just didn’t really feel like doing much. Having everyone over was more for AJ’s sake than hers. She would have preferred to crawl under the covers with him and the boys and just sleep.

“Hey there chica.” Brenda said entering Kat’s bedroom. “You were taking too long so I offered to come up and rush you.”

Brenda was chuckling until Kat turned around. She could see how tired her friend was and it made her worry.

“How bad is it?”

“It’s not. I’m just really tired. I think it’s the holidays and the stress and the anxiety about the surgery. I haven’t been sleeping well.”

“Tell me something I don’t already know!” Brenda wished she could take it back as soon as she said it. “I’m sorry Kat, that was harsh.”

“You don’t have to apologize Bren.”

“Yes I do. I’m just so worried about you and I can’t do anything. I think AJ’s frustrated by that too.”

“I know he is. I wish I could tell you guys that there was something you could do but you really can’t.”

“Look, everyone is downstairs but I can tell them to go home if you’re not feeling like company. I think they’d understand.”

“No, it’s fine. Let’s go.”

------------------------

The guys finally escaped down to the studio for a little while. The women were outside on the patio watching the kids as they played in the yard. AJ promised to leave the door open so that if anyone needed them, they could just call down.

“How’s Kat doing?” Brian asked as he sat down on one of the couches.

“She says she’s fine but she’s lying through her teeth. I know this is killing her, all the waiting and the worrying. I just don’t know what to do.”

“I think just being there for her is enough J.” Howie said as he made himself comfortable. “Just listen and try to keep her spirits up.”

Kevin nodded. “She’s knows you’d do anything for her.”

“I hope so.” AJ replied. “I would give anything in the world to make it easier for her.

The floor thundered above them.

“I think the girls gave up.” Brian laughed. “I knew they wouldn’t let the kids stay out for very long.”

“It’s cold out there!” Nick said. “I wouldn’t want to stay out there either.”

“It was their idea!” Kevin added. “We didn’t tell them to go out there.”

All of a sudden, Leigh yelled down to them.

“Hey AJ!”

“What’s the matter?” he called up to her.

“Can you tell Nick that he needs to stop making so much noise upstairs? I just heard a thud and it’s probably not good.”

AJ started to yell up that Nick was down with them but he suddenly froze. His eyes got big and he leapt out of his chair. Racing up the stairs three at a time, he barreled into the kitchen, pushing through everyone, and flew up the set of stairs to the second floor.

“What’s the matter with…..” Leighanne stopped short when she saw Nick come flying up the stairs. “But you were…”

“It’s not me!” he yelled and broke into a run for the second floor. The three other men came up right behind him. Everyone was standing around not knowing what to do when they heard AJ scream from upstairs.

-------------------------------

Nick was on the phone by the time Brenda and Brian made it up to AJ and Kat’s room. AJ was kneeling next to Kat, who wasn’t moving. Brenda started to cry and Nick wrapped her in his arms as he gave the 911 operator the address and explained the problem.

AJ had tears running down his face and was trying to get Kat to respond. Brian knelt down next to him and grabbed at his hand.

“We need to do CPR J, right now!”

“But I think she’s breathing.” he said through his tears.

“She’s not. Her lips are starting to turn blue. Her heart is going to start shutting down soon and we need to make sure she keeps breathing.”

A horrified look passed over AJ’s face and he followed Brian’s lead. They were still giving her CPR when the EMTs arrived a few minutes later.

“She has a VSD!” Brenda shouted at the closest EMT. “Please get her there fast!”

He nodded and they carried Kat down to the ambulance. Thankfully, everyone else had taken the kids back outside so they wouldn’t have to see all of this. AJ hopped into the back of the ambulance and Brenda, Nick and Brian followed in Nick’s truck. Howie said they would all be back at his house and to call when they knew something.

“I can’t believe this is happening.” Leigh said choking back tears on the ride home. “They were so happy and now this has to happen.”

“She’ll be fine. I’m not thinking that way. She’s gonna be fine, J’s going to be fine and everything will be fine.” Howie said trying to be strong.

Leigh noticed his voice catch and his hands start to tremble. She took one of his hands in hers and said a pray that this would be over soon and everything would work itself out.