- Text Size +

Kazie sat with her knees pulled to her chest, her Kindle resting on them. Her iPod was blasting old school Mariah Carey, circa her Butterfly album. Her concentration on her Nicholas Sparks' novel was brokem, when Brian walked in. Pulling her ear buds out, she tossed the iPod, and Kindle aside. 

"Hi, Bri-Yah. How did today go?" 

"Pretty good. How was coffee with The Kids?" he asked, sitting down on the edge of her bed.

"Just Donnie and I went. It was nice. We had a nice conversation,"

"That's good," Brian said. "Listen, Nick and I had a chat earlier, about you. Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," Kazie replied.

"Do you like him? Like, like a crush on him?" Brian felt his throat dry up. 

"Well, I guess so," Kazie said. "I mean, I've always been attracted to him, and all. And we get along really well. So, yeah. I do."

"He likes you too. He told me,"

Kazie raised an eyebrow. "And he's still walking?"

"Yes, he's fine. He asked if the next time we have a couple days off, if he could maybe take you out to dinner or something."

"Anddddd...what did you say?" Kazie started to fiddle with the wire to her ear buds.

Brian swallowed. "I said, if you'd like to go on a date with him, then it's fine with Kevin and I."

"Kevin?" Kazie looked up. "You called Kevin??"

"Yes, I did. I felt it was only right to," Brian said matter of factly. 

"True. Are you, like, okay with this?" 

Brian sighed. "I'm not doing cartwheels, but I trust him, and I trust you. You're also 22 years old, and I need to come to the realization you're no longer a little girl, playing with Barbies, coloring My Little Pony. If you feel you have feelings for him, and you want to spend more time with him, then I accept it. But if he hurts you, I will kill him."

Kazie smiled. "I know you will. And I promise, I wouldn't do anything to make you uncomfortable, or disrespected. But, like you said, I am 22. I do have needs."

"Elw! I don't want to hear about any of your needs, Mackenzie Kadence!" Brian said, covering his ears.

"You're a freak! I meant I need to hang around with something, and not just sit around a tour bus all day long! Perv!"

"Oh, I'm sure that's EXACTLY what you meant!"

"Now, can I ask YOU something?" Kazie said. 

Brian grunted. "What?"

"How come you're okay with me hanging out with Donnie?"

"Because Donnie is 20 years older than you, divorced, with two children, one who is around your age. I highly doubt Donnie has a hidden agenda when it comes to you."

"And you think Nick has some sort of agenda with me?" Kazie squinted. 

"I didn't say that. What I AM saying is, I've known Nick since he was 13 years old. I know every look, every sigh, every twitch. But, I also know when it comes to you, he's sincere. And also knows better." Kazie just nodded. "Alright well, this is probably the most awkward thing I've ever had to do," Brian said, getting up.

"Wait till you have to talk to Baylee about sex," Kazie joked. Brian put his head in his hands. 

"Don't remind me!" Dropping his hands, he turned to Kazie. "Alright, well, there's a tall, blonde boy out in the living area that wishes to speak to you." 

Kazie stretched her neck, and saw Nick walking down the hall.

"Hey," he said, with a smile.

"Hey, NGC," Kazie replied. Nick leaned in and kissed her, then sat on the edge of the bed.

"Whatcha do while I was inside? Anything fun?"

Kazie thought for a second, then shook her head. "Just went for a quick coffee in town with Donnie."

"Ahh. How is D-Dub?"

"He was good. We just chatted about life, and all." 

"Cool, cool," Nick said, pushing a piece of stray hair from her eyes. "You look sleepy."

"A little bit. I'm probably gonna nap before we have to go inside."

"Well, I'll leave you to rest. Text me when you get up, k?" Nick leaned in, and kissed her again.

"I will. See you in a bit," she said, laying down, and closing her eyes. 

Nick walked to the front of the bus, where Brian was texting Leighanne. 

"Kazie is gonna take a nap for a bit."

"Alrighty. What are you up to now?" Brian said, tossing aside his iPhone.

"I think I'll do the same."

Brian yawned. "Me too. Are you guys gonna hang again after the show?"

"Is that okay?" Nick asked, hopeful. He couldn't believe at age 31 he was asking permission to hang out with a girl, but he also knew how much Kazie meant to Brian and Kevin, and didn't wanna overstep any boundaries, especially having to be on tour with them for a couple months.

"I suppose, if Mackenzie would like to," Brian said. "But I know the face you have on after you have sex, so if I even see a HINT of it tomorrow!"

"Dude! Relax! No boning! I promise!" Nick said, throwing his hands up.

"Get out. Leave my bus," Brian said, laying down on the couch. 

Nick chuckled. "Lata, Frick."

"Bye, Frack," Brian mumbled into a pillow, as Nick left.