- Text Size +

A couple days had passed, and Kazie was on cloud nine, having the time of her life. She had been spending as much time as she could with Nick, shocked that this was to Brian's approval. They had reached their current destination of Connecticut, and as Nick had promised, a real date would happen, since they had two days off in a row.

Kazie sat on her bed, curling the last bit of her hair. Nick told her to dress fancy, so a little black dress tub top dress, covered by a turquoise three quarter sleeves blazer was her outfit of choice. On her feet, she wore a pair of black open toed wedged heels, bringing her 5 feet tall frame to at least 5'3. She did a pale turquoise eyeshadow that really made her blue eyes pop, plumped up her lashes to make them a mile long, and applied a pale pink lipstick. Turning off the iron, she flipped her hair forward, and shook it out. Tossing it back, she gave it a final spray, and got up. Walking to the front of the bus, Brian was sitting, playing the guitar.

"Do I look pretty?" she said. Brian looked up, and shook his head, as Kazie's face dropped.

"You look beautiful," he corrected. "Do you have money?"

"Yes, Bri-Yah," Kazie rolled her eyes, walking to the back, to get her clutch. 

"Your cell phone?" he questioned. Kazie held it up. "Fully charged?" 

"96%."

"Is that jacket going to be warm enough?" 

"Bri-Yah, it's still 73 degrees out! We're not eating in an igloo!"

"Okay," Brian said, swallowing hard. "Um, if he asks you to stay on his bus tonight....."

"The answer is no. I know that already," Kazie yawned, looking at the time. 7:08. He should be here any minute. Butterflies began to take flight in her stomach. 

"You can, if you want to," Brian said, low. "Just, please, Mackenzie! Don't do anythi," he pleaded, as she cut him off.

"I'm not staying the night if you're not okay with it, Brian. I wouldn't do that to you."

"I am okay with it. Well, no, not really, but you know what I mean. I just ask that you please use your head in making any decisions that are thrown your way."

"I promise. I will," Kazie said, leaning in and kissing the top of his head. "You, and Kevin, and Dadders raised me the correct way."

Brian felt his eyes sting at the mention of "Dadders", her nickname for his uncle Joe from as long as he could remember. When he had passed away when Kazie was 15, her entire foundation was broken. Unlike Kevin, who lost his father to cancer, so it was expected, but never easy, Kazie lost her father to a drunk driver hitting his pick up with a tractor trailer. The driver left the scene, with not a scratch on him. Kazie's father died instantly. He still remembered that phone call like it was yesterday, and at his uncle's wake, he, Kevin, and their brothers had made a pact to take care of Kazie, her mom, and sister for him. 

"Uncle Joe is looking down, proud at his little girl," Brian smiled. Kazie pursed her lips together, and fiddled with her clutch. "You're sure you have money on you? I know Nick will pay, but it's still nice to offer."

"I have money! I promise!" Kazie said. 

“What time is Nickolas coming for you?”

“About 7:15, 7:20.”

“And where are you going?”

“I'm not sure. I know to dinner. I just don't know where.” Brian glared. “Yes, I will text you when we get there, to let you know where we are.” Kazie rolled her eyes, and sat down.

“Did you tell your mother about tonight's outing?”

“I did. She's actually excited. We Face Timed with her yesterday afternoon.”

“You're already introducing your mother to him?” Brian raised an eyebrow. “This is your first date.”

“Um, my mother has met Nick before, Dumb Dumb.”

“Oh yeah...” Brian remembered. A knock on their door interrupted his thoughts.

“Hello?” Nick called, walking inside, holding a large bouquet of light pink gerber daises, and bright orange roses, mixed with babies breath. “Oh, this so doesn't match your outfit.” Nick's face flushed.

Kazie laughed, and got up. “But you did nail my two favorite colors, so it's okay. They're beautiful. Thank you.” Handing them to her, he leaned down, and gave her a small kiss. Brian grunted.

“You look gorgeous,” he said, taking her arms, and admiring her outfit.

“Well, you clean up pretty nice too, I must say,” Kazie said, taking notice of Nick's ensemble, which was made up of a pair of black dress slacks, a sage green that had a thin pinstriped pattern button down shirt, and shiny shoes.

“Okay, rules,” Brian said, getting up. “1. You text me when you get there. 2. She's allergic to shellfish, so stay clear of any. 3. You text me when you're on your way back. Are you SURE you have money?”

“Do you HONESTLY think she needs money, Brian?” Nick folded his arms across his chest.

“Nooo, I don't, but I still need to ask her.”

Kazie turned to Nick. “Oh, did I forget to introduce you? Nick, this is my tour dad, Brian. Tour dad, meet my date Nick.”

“Get out,” Brian said, pointing to the door, as Nick, and Kazie laughed.

“Bye, Bri-Yah. Text you in a bit,” Kazie said, as they began to walk out.

“Is your phone still charged?” Brian called. Kazie stopped, shaking her head.

“I REALLY doubt in our 10 minute conversation, my phone went from 96% to 0.”

“How much are you on?”

Kazie took it out of her clutch, and looked. “94%.”

“Take your charger,” Brian said, unplugging the charger from the wall, and handing it to her.

Kazie blinked. “You're insane. GOODBYE!”

“You're gonna regret this decision later when you decide to take photos, and upload them on Photo Bucket!” Brian called, waving the charger, as they walked to the limo Nick had waiting for them.

“Who uses Photo Bucket anymore?” Nick asked, their driver opened the door, and they climbed in.