- Text Size +
"And for our specials tonight, we have shrimp in a garlic sauce, with sun-dried tomatoes, over an arugula salad, served with a side of angel hair or penne. Chicken Picatta which is sautéed chicken breast with lemon sauce, mushrooms and capers. Steak Diane, which consists of medallions of certified Angus beef steak covered with black peppercorns and a rich mushroom wine sauce, served with Red Bliss mashed potatoes and grilled onions. Now, what can we do for drinks?" their server, Marcus said, taking out a pen, to start writing down their order.

"I'm actually perfect with water. Thank you," Nick said.

"Can I have an unsweetened ice tea, with lemon?" Kazie asked.

"You got it. Be right back," Marcus said, walking away. Kazie looked around at the outdoor patio they were sitting on. They had traveled about forty minutes west, to a little town on the water Kazie forgot the name of. The restaurant, they were dining at was called "La Bella Luna", and was set on a picturesque lake, surrounded by trees. The sky was crystal clear, filled with thousands of stars shining, and the moon's light bounced off the gently rippling water. White Christmas lights wrapped around the patio deck, and each table had three tea light candles on top of the dark blue table clothes.

"So, how was your day? I feel like I hardly saw you," Nick said.

"It was alright. I started writing up on my experience here so far," Kazie said, as Marcus returned, placing her tea and small plate of lemons in front of her.

"Have we decided on our meals?" he asked.

"Yes, I think so," Nick said. "Please," he said, indicating Kazie.

"Can I start out with a Cesar salad? Is it, like, really fishy tasting dressing?" She crinkled her nose at her question.

"No, it's not! It's actually more parmesan tasting than anything," Marcus explained.

"Okay, good! I'll have that. And for my entree, can I please have Chicken Di Pana?" She closed her menu, satisfied with her selection.

"Absolutely. And for you, sir?" Marcus turned his attention to Nick.

"Can I please start out with the avocado egg rolls, and for my meal, the Miso Salmon?" Nick said, handing Marcus his closed menu, then immediately turned his attention to Kazie. "Are you allergic to salmon?? I can change my order."

Kazie shook her head. "Nope. Just shell fish. You're in the clear." Nick blew a sigh of relief.

"And I'll make sure our chef knows about your food restrictions, miss," Marcus said, slipping his pad in his apron, and winking.

"Thank you very much," she smiled, as he walked away.

Nick placed his hands on the table, and held them open for Kazie's. She felt herself blushing, as she placed them in his palms. He gently wrapped his fingers around hers, and rubbed the top with his thumbs. Kazie looked into his equally ice blue eyes, and smiled.

"So, we're off again tomorrow. We have press stuff during the day, and other little odds and ends, but for the most part, we're free. Wanna do something again tomorrow?"

"Sure. Maybe tomorrow night, we can stay in, and cook?" Kazie replied. "Where's our next stop after Connecticut?"

Nick bit his lip. "Hmm. I thinkkk DC? But yeah, we can totally stay in."

"I mean, not that I mind going out or anything! I just really like to cook, and my roommates at school were very under appreciative of it."

"Well, I'm appreciative of your cooking skills, and I can't wait to try it," Nick replied, picking up her hand, and kissing it. Kazie blushed, as she felt the table vibrate.

Rolling her eyes, and letting go of Nick's hands, she unzipped her clutch, as she took out her phone. "Guarantee it's Bri."

"Hey. What are you up to?" It was from Donnie.

"Brian?" Nick asked. Kazie nodded her head, as she replied. "Out to dinner w/ Nick. Text you later." Hitting send, she felt her heart beat increase a bit, but took a deep breath in to calm it down. "You okay?"

"Yeah! I just got a wiff of a strong perfume or something," she lied, putting her phone back in her bag, and zipping it shut.

"What did Brian want?"

"Oh, you know Brian," Kazie said, fiddling with her napkin.

"Can I ask why you call him Bri-Yah?"

"Brian was my first word, believe it or not, but it came out as Bri-Yah. He liked it so much, he never corrected me, so 22 years later, he's still Bri-Yah! Unless we're fighting, then, he's usually Brian Thomas."

"That's cute," Nick said, as their appetizers were placed in front of them. "Thank you so much," he said to Marcus.

"Anything else I can get you for now? Refills? Fresh ground pepper?"

"I'm good," Kazie said, shaking her head.

"Likewise. Thank you thought," Nick said, picking up an eggroll. "Would you like any?" He tilted his plate.

"No, thank you. Salad?" she said, pointing at the heaping pile of lettuce with her fork. Nick shook his head, and bit down on the roll with a loud crunch.

"So," he swallowed. "Whatcha gonna cook me tomorrow?"

"Hmmm," Kazie said, swallowing her own mouthful of salad. "Well, I know you're very healthy, so something healthy!"

Nick chuckled, and took a sip of his water. "I'm sure whatever it is, it'll be delicious. Did you talk to your mom today?"

Kazie nodded. "She said hello, and to have fun tonight."

"How was she when you left for school?"

"Lonely. I mean, we have family all around us, but it's not the same, ya know? Even though it's just me and my sister, the house was constantly filled with our friends, so she went from feeding like, eight girls a night, to just her, and the dog."

"Has she dated since your dad passed?"

"She has," Kazie nodded. "But, no one that measured up to him. At least that what she says, but I'd have to agree. She tries to visit my sister as often as she can though. She loves spending time with my nephews. I have a feeling once I finish school she's gonna move out there, because I'm planning to stay in the tri-state area."

"Oh yeah. New Jersey?"

"Either New Jersey, but more near the Hudson, for an easy commute, or the city itself. Bri and Kevin already both offered to help in any way they can, but I never like to rely on them. Know what I mean?" She took a sip of her tea.

"I hear you, but if the offer is there, just to help build you up, you should take it."

"Yeah, I know. I have a few more months to decide, then I'll make my decision."

Marcus came over to check on them, and let them know their food was almost ready. As he cleared their plates, two girls around Kazie's age walked over to the table.

"Oh my God. Hi Nick!" the shorter red head said. "Sorry to bother you during dinner, but we're huge fans." Nick glanced over at Kazie, who winked, and took another sip of her tea.

"No worries. Nice to meet you both. What are your names?"

"I'm Jessica," the red head said.

"And I'm Melissa," the taller brunette said. "Is it okay if we took a quick picture?"

"Sure," Nick said, placing his napkin on the table, and getting up.

"I'll take it," Kazie offered, holding her hand out.

"Oh," Melissa said. "Thanks." Handing Kazie her phone, the two fans stood on each side of Nick.

"Ready?" Kazie focused the camera. "Smile!" She took three photos, and handed Melissa back the phone.

"Thank you." Melissa took back the phone, and examined the photos. "Too cute!"

"What's your name?" Jessica asked, motioning to Kazie.

"Mackenzie."

"Oh! Are you Brian and Kevin's cousin??" Kazie nodded. "Oh my God! Are you guys, like, dating??" Nick laughed, and sat back down. Kazie smiled, and just shrugged.

"Guess you'll just have to read the tabloids, and see," she winked at Nick, and sat back down.