- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
First of all let me say I am so very sorry that I haven't updated in about a month. September honestly was not a good writing month for me and I appreciate anyone who is still reading and being patient.


I am planning on trying to finish this story soon in the next few chapters, hopefully before I leave for the BSB cruise. Thank you for reading and sticking with me. :)
"Come on, Kevin. You have to get up....we have to move." Howie pleaded. They were still near the river and it was starting to get dark once more. All of them were so tired and all Howie wanted at this point was to get everyone to safety. His own head still hurt, possibly from a concussion but he tried helping Kevin up anyway.

Back when the group first began, Howie felt closest to AJ but he and Kevin bonded because they were close in age. They tended to do more together, and when things had gotten bad he found himself really connecting with him. Howie felt like he owed it to him to look out for him like he always did.

"I don't think I can, Howie." Kevin said. He had sttained his leg enough trying to protect Nick and now the pain was shooting through him.

"Maybe I can carry you," Howie suggested, but as he really thought about it....he wasn't sure if he was able to.

"You need to get Nick away from here. That guy really has it out for him. Don't worry about me." Kevin said, a hint of sadness in his voice. Kevin was always the one putting everyone else before himself. He was always trying to make sure the other guys had what they needed on the road, playing his role as the watchful big brother. Sometimes Howie wished Kevin wouldn't do that but he liked that at the same time, and he admired him for it.

"I can't do that knowing you are hurt." Howie said finally, trying to figure out the best way to help him.

"Maybe we can both lift him?" AJ said, appearing next to him. This surprised Howie. AJ was normally not one to offer to help with anything, he was so wrapped up in his partying lifestyle that he didn't bother.

"What are you staring at me like that for?"

"Don't mind him, AJ. He's just tired. We all are. Now how do you propose we carry me when we don't know where we are going? We haven't seen any people in a while day." Kevin said. He knew Howie was thinking the same as him, AJ had never acted so bravely before, it wasn't like him.

It reminded Kevin of Nick's 21st birthday, when the kid locked himself in the bathroom and had wouldn't come out, spending most of the evening crying. Kevin had called overdramatics but AJ thought otherwise.

"Just let me talk to him. Please." AJ had begged. Kevin let him and pretty soon they were all at dinner together, laughing like nothing had happened. He wondered if he would ever find out why Nick was so troubled.

Eventually AJ managed to lift Kevin and lean him against his back, his arms wrapped around his neck.

"Come on, let's get the hell out of these damn woods." AJ said, not flinching at all. In that moment, Kevin felt like maybe things were finally turning around. He actually felt a little hopeful that it would be okay. They met up with Nick and Brian who weren't far down the river. Nick was sitting down, soaked to the bone and shivering.

"It's gonna be dark soon, we need shelter." Brian pointed out, looking up at the sky. Nick stay focused on the water, not saying anything...just staring at it.

"I wish we had somewhere to go, but we don't even know where we are." Howie added. AJ grunted and hoisted Kevin up once more.

"You think anyone is looking for us?" Brian wondered out loud. It seemed weird that there hadn't been any people around for quite some time, although Brian figured maybe it was just that area. There was no sign of civilization anywhere since the bus crashed.

"Maybe for you guys..." Nick said softly before falling silent again. The others looked at him but nobody spoke up. They managed to talk Nick into getting on his feet and once again they were walking, trying to ignore how hungry they were.

"Man I cannot wait to get onto solid ground again. This hiking shit is for the birds."

Kevin chuckled, that sounded like the old AJ....the one before all the partying and drugs....before everything.

"Well you shouldn't have worn those boots." Kevin said.

"Like I planned to be hiking through the woods Kevin.....sheesh." AJ laughed. They both laughed and felt a little better about the situation. Kevin noticed every so often Nick would glance backwards, as if he felt they were being followed. Russell had to be dead....he had disappeared.

"You okay, Nick?" Howie asked. Nick was trembling and jumped at the touch of his hand.All he did was apologize and nod, not in the mood for talking. Howie was about to say something when Brian shouted.

"Look over there.....it's a campground!" he said, waving his arms.

"Thank god." AJ said, his back starting to hurt from carrying Kevin.

It looked promising enough, there was a tent pitched by some picnic tables.

"Okay so where is everyone?" Howie whispered.

"Well, we can't just go up to the tent and ring a bell, D. Go over and see if they can help us." AJ said, letting Kevin down at the picnic  table to rest.

Howie walked up to the tent, smiling. Finally things were looking up.

"Um, excuse me....hello?" he said brightly. Nobody answered so he called again, stepping closer. Howie turned to talk to Brian but was met with a gun barrel, his eyes wide. He could only think of one thing to say.

"Fuck."