- Text Size +
Lyric fell into bed totally exhausted. She’d never worked harder in her life – the past six weeks had been total chaos, but she’d loved every minute of it.

Her cell phone beeped, she prayed it wasn’t Howie. It wasn’t, it was her best friend Matt.

“Hey baby, how are ya?” he asked. “I haven’t seen you in weeks.”

“More tired than I’ve ever been in my whole life,” she replied. “But everything is going so well, Matt. Thank you for setting this up for me, I really owe you.”

“So you’re liking working for the man, huh?” Matt teased. “Even though he’s just a lowly musician?”

“Shut up, Matt. Yes, I like working for Howie. He’s a slave driver, but he pays me well.” Lyric yawned, she couldn’t help it.

“I just got off the phone with him, in fact.”

“And…?” Lyric prompted.

“You passed with flying colors – he’s really pleased with the job you’ve been doing.” Matt laughed. “He said to tell you that hell is over.”

“I don’t get it.”

Matt sighed, sometimes his friend was a little dense. “He’s been testing you, seeing if you’d break. Didn’t you work like 80 hours this week?”

“Yes, that’s why I’m in bed right now, Matt. I’d like to get some sleep.”

“Sometimes I wonder about you, Lyric. Howie isn’t going to push you this hard anymore – he just wanted to see if you could handle the pressure. He needs someone reliable and so he threw everything he had at you to see if you’d fold.”

“And I didn’t, did I?” she said, the implications finally sinking in. “I really can handle this job.”

“That’s my girl! Now get some sleep. Howie said he’ll see you in two weeks when he gets back from Florida – and don’t forget to keep an eye on his house.”

Lyric hung up the phone. As she drifted off, she thought about the past weeks. Now she understood why Howie had been so damn demanding about everything – it had all been a test. She was glad she’d been able to satisfy him, she really liked working for him. If only she didn’t dream about those brown eyes every single night.

******

“Don’t forget we have a meeting with management in the morning,” Howie called as Lyric left for the night.

The next morning, Lyric fussed over her wardrobe. Normally, she dressed very casually for work – jeans most of the time and little makeup. This was her first time going to work dressed up and she worried she’d pick the wrong thing. She finally settled on an outfit, not sure of her choice but thinking it would surely do.

“Is that what you’re wearing?” Howie asked when she arrived at his house.

“Why? Is something wrong with it?” She looked in the mirror in the foyer, she didn’t see anything out of place.

“No, nothing wrong.” He started to say something else and then decided against it. “Let’s go.”

Lyric worried all the way downtown, she didn’t want to embarrass herself or her boss by not dressing properly for an important meeting.

“This will be your first time meeting the boys,” he said as they rode up the elevator.

“I’m a little nervous,” she admitted.

“They’ll love you, don’t worry,” he grinned. He hoped they would keep the teasing to a minimum, since this was their first meeting.

“Look at that, Howie’s not late!” Nick called out as they entered a large conference room.

“A first!” Brian said, coming over to introduce himself. Nick came over as well, and ended up hugging her.

“Who’s this pretty lady?” Alex said, walking in a few minutes late.

“Alex, I’d like you to meet Lyric, my new assistant. Please, be nice to her – I want her to stick around.”

“Nice to meet you,” Lyric said, holding out her hand. Alex ignored it, instead circling her like a vulture.

“Oh no, this just won’t do,” he said, lisping. Lyric shot a bewildered look at Howie, who just grinned back at her and shrugged. “You’re much too beautiful to look so damn frumpy!”

Alex pulled off her suit jacket. “Ok, that’s a start. Let’s undo a few buttons –there, that’s sexier.” Lyric just stood there with her mouth open. “And the hair – gotta come down, honey.” He pulled the pins to release the chignon she’d so painstakingly put up. Her brunette hair fell halfway down her back in a riot of wavy curls.

“Looking better, Alex.” Nick said, laughing.

“Hm, can’t do anything about the skirt.” He kept circling her.

Lyric finally found her voice. “What’s wrong with my skirt?” she asked.

“Not short enough,” Nick volunteered. “Or tight enough.”

“You have beautiful legs,” Alex said, still in his higher voice. “Short skirts make them look longer, darling. At least you have on nice heels.”

Lyric had splurged on some sexy high heeled sandals, the only touch of femininity she had added to the outfit, thinking Howie wanted her to look professional.

“But…”

“One more thing,” Alex said, dashing out of the room only to return a second later. He applied a bright dash of color to her mouth, using the receptionist’s lipstick. “Voila! A new woman!”

Howie had to agree, she did look better than she did earlier. He liked the new look, he’d gotten used to seeing her in little makeup and plain clothes.

Lyric looked to her boss, wanting to see his reaction. She could see the approval in his eyes.

“Thanks,” was all she could get out.

“Mmm, my pleasure, sexy lady,” Alex whispered in a deep, throaty voice in her ear as he hugged her.

Howie felt a little twinge of jealousy at seeing Alex hug his assistant a little too long for his liking. His thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of their management team.

Lyric’s eyes widened when she saw how the women at the meeting were dressed. Not one of them was wearing a business suit. One lady in particular drew her attention – she had to be at least 6 feet tall in her 5” heels. She wore a silk dress which clung to every curve, low cut to reveal cleavage Lyric could only dream of owning. The dress was so short Lyric wondered how she was going to sit down in it.

Matt came in last, took Lyric’s arm and guided her to some chairs away from the table. “We’ll sit back here out of the way,” he whispered.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” she hissed at him. Matt looked bewildered. “I asked you what to wear!”

Before he could answer, the meeting started and he was forced to silence. Lyric glared at him, a look that Matt knew promised a tongue lashing later on.

In the car driving home, Lyric was quiet. Howie didn’t know what to say to her, he knew she’d been embarrassed. He felt like he’d let her down.

He answered his cell phone when it rang a moment later. “It’s for you,” he said, handing her the phone. They were sitting in LA traffic, an accident up ahead had them moving at a crawl.

“Hey it’s Alex. I just wanted to say I was sorry for being such an asshole at the meeting.”

“You weren’t,” Lyric said, feeling uncomfortable again. She’d have to get used to the swearing as well as the hugging.

“Yes I was, quit being so nice. I embarrassed you and I apologize.”

Lyric could hear that he was being sincere. “You were right, Alex. I was dressed like a frumpy old lady, but where I used to work that’s what we all wore.”

“Don’t be afraid to show off what God gave you, Lyric. You’re a beautiful woman.”

“Thanks. And I’ll try to remember that.” She hung up the phone and handed it back to Howie.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “It was all my fault – you asked me what to wear and I just figured that you knew.”

“I felt like an ugly duckling in a pond full of swans,” she admitted, wiping away a stray tear.

Howie reached out and took her hand, squeezing it gently. “You are a natural beauty, Lyric. Those women – they paid huge amounts of money to look like that. Breast implants, liposuction, botox – not one of them is as gorgeous as you are.”

“That’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to me,” Lyric whispered, fumbling in her purse for a tissue.

“Tell you what…let’s go shopping one afternoon this week and I’ll help you find some sexy new clothes. Then you’ll knock everyone out at the next meeting, ok?”

Lyric agreed. “Just so you don’t make me look trashy.”

“I promise you’ll look fabulous.” Lyric giggled at his attempt to sound gay.