- Text Size +
Hira was afraid to enter Baghdad, not only were Abu Hasal’s men still living in the area but she also had to worry about Tamir and Miskeen. Marcus and Randall both assured her she was safe, telling her they would be under military protection until they left. They were escorted into the green zone, where they were the guests of General Adamson in the luxurious palace that once belonged to Saddam Hussein.

“How do you feel about all this?” Howie asked her as they dined in his room.

“I feel a little nervous, but more excited than anything. I still can’t believe that this is all happening!” Hira glanced down at her cheeseburger, it smelled appetizing. It was against Islamic rules to eat but it fascinated her and she took a tiny bite. She asked Allah to forgive her and took a larger bite; she was entranced by the taste. Howie didn’t know Hira had just taken her first step against Islam, he only saw the rapt expression on her face as she chewed. She was so interested in everything American that she asked hundreds of questions every day, but he didn’t mind.

“I have a question for you, and I don’t ask it lightly,” he said.

“What is it? You know you can ask me anything.”

“Have…have you ever thought about changing your name?” Howie asked hesitantly. He didn’t want to upset her but an official had asked him about it. “Not that I don’t like your name, but I thought you might want to pick something out that has better memories.”

“You mean I could? I guess I never really thought about it.”

“The guy from the US embassy said they tried to locate your birth certificate when they first granted you asylum, but the records building for your province had been destroyed. He said they would have to request a new one from the government anyway, and that you could put whatever name you want on there.”

“I do not know, Howie…”

“Maybe it would help you erase some of the pain from your past. A new name to go with your new life in America?”

“What would I put? I have only ever been called by this name.”

“Maybe something that sounds like Hira? That way I wouldn’t get confused,” he laughed.

Hira was quiet for a few minutes, thinking. “Abeera means rose, which might work. Or I had a distant cousin whose name was Suheera, that’s pretty similar. And it means beautiful.”

“I like Suheera, and it certainly fits you,” Howie said, reaching out to stroke her cheek with gentle fingers. When they were alone together, she still wore the hijab but left her face uncovered.

“Then Suheera it is,” she said, smiling. “A new name, a new country, a new love.” She leaned over and kissed him, making his heart flutter.

Howie accompanied Suheera when she met for the first time with embassy officials. The paperwork was set in motion to get a new birth certificate and all the forms necessary for her to enter the US legally. She stoically endured several extremely long debriefing meetings with military officials. She knew it was all necessary in order for her to leave the country, however she was anxious to get on with her life.

Six weeks later, sitting in a first class seat on a jet bound for the United States, Suheera could not settle down. “Are you excited?” Howie asked as the jet taxied down the runway prior to liftoff. She had not been on a plane before, let alone a plane bound for a world totally different than anything she had ever known.

“Yes, and a little nervous too. What if your family does not like me?”

Howie squeezed her hand; he could feel her trembling slightly. “Don't worry, they are going to adore you,” he assured her. “And you won't have to deal with them all at once. My parents are the only ones meeting us at the airport and I know for sure that they will love you.”

“I hope so.”

It was a long flight and Suheera eventually calmed down enough to take a nap. Howie looked over at her and smiled to himself, he prayed America would be everything she hoped it would be.

When they landed in New York City, the line through customs was long. They questioned Suheera extensively and insisted that she show them her face, which she did reluctantly, but finally they let her continue on. Marcus hailed them a taxi, they’d booked a quiet hotel for the night, and far from the noisy city that Howie was sure would overwhelm her.

When the taxi pulled into the hotel, the doorman whisked them inside and soon they were shown upstairs to a luxurious suite.

“I got you your own room,” he explained. “I wasn't sure...”

“I think I prefer to have my own room for right now - if that is ok with you.”

“Certainly, whatever you feel the most comfortable with.” He took her bag into one of the rooms and laid it on the bed for her. Suheera followed him, removing her hijab as she walked. He turned to her, his heart skipping a beat as it always did when he looked at her.

“You are very kind,” she said, kissing him softly on the lips. Howie wanted to wrap his arms around her and kiss her deeply, but he could tell that she was stressed and needing some time to adjust. In little more than a month, Suheera’s life had been turned upside down; he didn't want to do anything that would upset her delicate balancing act. He knew she was just as scared as she was excited - everything had been happening so quickly.

“Let me know if you need anything at all,” he said softly, his eyes drinking in the glory of her beauty.

“I am a little hungry,” she admitted.

“What would you like to eat? I can call and have it delivered to the room.”

Suheera looked at him a little sheepishly. “A cheeseburger?” She had become addicted to them while they were guests of the General's before leaving Baghdad. The chef had outdone himself in introducing Suheera to American cuisine. She’d tried to stay within the Islamic doctrines dictating food, but half the time she didn’t know what she was eating and had no say over it anyway. It was a price she was willing to pay to get out of Iraq.

“Whatever your little heart desires,” he said, winking at her. When he left the room, Suheera turned to her bag and opened it. Inside were the rich fabrics of her native clothes, Howie had insisted on buying her a new wardrobe before they left Iraq. He knew that she would not feel comfortable with Western clothes for a while and he didn't want to rush her into them.

“I think he will like this,” she said softly to herself, pulling out a richly colored tunic and pants. She took a shower and washed her hair and then donned the sumptuous new outfit. The silk felt like a dream against her skin, so soft and light and totally opposite of the oppressive burkha. When she entered the living room, she found him watching the local news.

“Wow!” was all he could say, his breath taken away. She glowed at the compliment.

She looked around the large, elegantly furnished room. “It is not the Hilton,” she said, trying not to smile at her own joke.

“Actually, it is,” he laughed. “But it certainly is nicer than the last hotel we stayed in together, isn't it?”

“But I would not trade that night for anything in the world,” she said softly, her eyes flashing.

“Me either,” Howie added, taking her in his arms. “You are better than any dream.” He kissed her slowly, deeply, passionately.

“You are my dream,” Suheera said, returning the kiss, but then pushed him reluctantly away. She might be pushing the limits on food, but she could not depart from the modesty required of her faith and she would not sleep with him, not until they were married.

The next morning they headed back to the airport for their flight to Los Angeles. Looking out the window as they departed New York, Suheera was awed, and a little frightened, by the massive buildings and sprawling city. “We are not…going to be living in a place like this, are we?” she asked hesitantly.

“No, not at all. It is a big city but we'll live far away from the busy part. It will be quiet and peaceful.”

Hira thought back to her village. “Will it be dry and dusty there? My home was always hot in the summer and cold in the winter.”

“Oh no. They call Los Angeles the city of angels. It's right on the ocean and the land is green with trees and grass, there are flowers growing in the yards. The summers can be hot but nothing like Iraq - the breeze off the ocean cools it off at night usually. Winters are not bad at all - no snow or bitterly cold winds.”

“That sounds nice. I am sure I will like it there.”

“I hope so,” Howie smiled, squeezing her hand. “I thought about taking you to my Florida house first, but decided that would be too much to take in. My parents will be waiting for us in Los Angeles; you can meet the rest of the family later.”

“You have two houses? You did not tell me you were so wealthy.” Although she still wore the veil, Howie could tell she was smiling.

“I did tell you, but I think you didn't believe me.”

“Those stories you told me - they were true?” Her eyes were wide.

“Every one of them.” He grinned at her shocked expression. “I have more than two houses actually, and I own a hotel and commercial real estate around the country.”

Suheera sat back in her seat, thinking back to the stories he had told her in Iraq. She’d thought them all tall tales, embellishments meant to impress her or distract her. The thoughts worried her; she wondered how she would fit into a lifestyle so foreign to her.

For the flight to Los Angeles, Suheera put on her prettiest clothes and hijab, pinning it up to hide her face. She could not bring herself to go without it, even though people stared at her.

“What if they do not like me?” she asked, gripping Howie's hand. He’d told her his parents would be meeting them at the airport.

“Don't worry. My parents are very nice people and they will adore you,” he assured her. Suheera wasn't sure but decided to put a brave face on it. They couldn't be any worse than her own parents and she knew they wouldn't be living with them, not like she would be in Iraq.

“Do you see them?” she asked as they exited the secure area of the airport.

“Over there...see the woman holding the flowers? That's my mom.” Howie led her over and introduced her.

“It is wonderful to meet you,” Paula said, handing Suheera the beautiful bouquet of flowers. “Welcome to the United States of America.”

“You are so kind,” Suheera said, tears in her eyes. Paula opened her arms and Suheera fell into them, amazed at the feel of motherly arms around her, something she had never felt before in her life. She could just feel the love pouring out of Howie's mother; it filled her heart with joy.

Howie's eyes filled with tears too, he was glad that his parents had so warmly welcomed Suheera. He hoped they would react as warmly when he told them he was planning on marrying her, if she would have him. He hadn't asked her yet, the time hadn't seemed right.

His parents had arrived the day before and opened his house, airing out the stuffiness. The house was warm and welcoming, full of fresh flowers and lit candles. Paula made dinner and then they sat and talked for a while. Howie was happy to see Suheera felt comfortable enough with his family to unveil her face. Suheera was pleased that Howie’s parents were indeed just as nice as he had told her they were.

When Suheera excused herself to the restroom, Paula pulled Howie into the kitchen for a private chat.

“She is a stunning woman, Howard. I can see why you've fallen in love with her.” Howie blushed; he hadn't told his mother anything about his feelings for her. “She's smart, courageous, and has a sense of humor - exactly what you need in a woman. Are you thinking about marrying her?”

Howie’s mouth hung open at his mother's directness. “I don't know,” he stammered, shocked that his mother had been so perceptive. “I want to ask her but I'm afraid to.”

“Don't be,” she admonished him. “She's just as much in love with you as you are with her.”

“How do you know?”

“A mom just knows these things,” she said, smiling.

“And you and Dad approve of her?”

“Of course, she's perfect for you...as long as you think she will be able to adapt to your world. You'll be away from home frequently, around many other women - does she understand that?”

“Not yet, I haven't really explained everything to her. She didn't believe me when I told her who I was, when I was a captive. She has a lot to get used to, I'm afraid. I won't throw that at her until I have to.”

“Well don't wait too long, she needs to know what she is getting into before she completely loses her heart to you.” Paula hugged him and then gently pushed him back into the living room, where Suheera and his dad were talking.

As Paula entered the room, she saw Suheera try to discreetly cover a yawn. “I think we’ll turn in now, Howard, it’s been a long day for everyone,” she said. “We’ll see you in the morning.” She took Hoke’s hand and pulled him towards their room.”

“Good night,” Suheera said, giving Paula a hesitant hug.

“Sleep well,” Paula said softly. “We’re so glad you’re here.” She kissed the young woman on the cheek.

“I will certainly try, but I think it will be hard to get to sleep,” she admitted. “And thank you for welcoming me into your family, I am so happy to have all of you in my life.” Suheera was embarrassed by the tears in her eyes. She hadn’t realized just how much she’d missed having a mother.

“We can’t stay but a day or two, but I’ll come back and we’ll get to know each other better.” She gave Suheera another hug. “I know Howie’s going to be in the studio in a month or two. I’ll come then, we’ll have plenty of girl time.”

Suheera was quiet as Howie tidied the kitchen. “Would you like a glass of wine before bed?” he asked.

She hesitated, she wasn’t allowed to drink alcohol, but surely a small glass wouldn’t hurt. “I think that would be nice,” Suheera said. He grabbed a bottle and two glasses and steered her out to the back deck. It was a clear night, warm with a bit of a breeze.

“So everything you told me, about being a celebrity, is true?” she asked.

“Yes, I’m afraid so.” Howie waited to see where her questions were leading.

“Your mother said you would be in the studio, what does that mean?”

“In about six weeks, we’re scheduled to start recording our next album. While we were stuck in Baghdad, the fellas were already meeting with producers and songwriters. I’ll need to catch up quickly; I’ll be pretty busy for the next few weeks.” He took a sip of his wine. “It will take about three months to record. We try to stay close to home but we might record in different cities, maybe even other countries.”

“I see.” Suheera gaze traveled over the well manicured garden.

“Then when the album is finished, it takes a little time to get a tour planned and get everything ready for the release. In less than a year from now, we’ll have to go out on a concert tour to promote it. We usually go to Asia, Europe, North America, sometimes South America and Australia too.”

“So then you would be gone for months,” she said softly.

Howie nodded. “But our families are always welcome to come along. Brian and Kevin’s wives and kids usually spend a lot of time on tour with us. Alex’s fiancé toured with us until the last leg; thankfully none of the family was with us then.” He reached out and took her hand. “We try to build breaks into the schedule so that we have some down time, weeks that we can spend with family.”

Suheera didn’t know what to think, everything was happening so fast. “I had no idea your life would be so busy. I guess that I do not understand your culture at all, life seems more hectic here.”

“It isn’t all that bad, I promise. When we tour, we get to see so many countries and meet wonderful people, try new food and learn new customs.” Howie wanted her to understand just what she’d be committing to. “We normally take a year or so off between albums, but couldn’t this time. When we aren’t recording or touring, it’s nothing but family time.”

“And you would be home then?”

Howie looked sheepish. “I have businesses to tend to, other singers that I manage, and my foundation. I’m not one to just sit at home doing nothing. Do you think you’d even want to deal with all that?”

“I do not know. It is all just so much to take in,” she admitted. “I do not know where I fit into your life. You are so busy and I…well, I have no idea what I will do. I do not know anyone here in this country.”

“I’ve thought about that, Suheera. I’ve worried about it a lot too, whether you’d really want to be with me, knowing the sacrifices that we make to do what we love.”

“I know about making sacrifices, Howie. I have done it my whole life.”

“If it was just me, honey, I’d do whatever I could to be home more. But there are so many other people involved. I can’t just quit, it wouldn’t be fair.”

“I understand that,” she said. “I do not want you to change for me. I just need to figure things out, so much has happened…” She left the sentence hanging.

“You don’t need to make any decisions now,” Howie said, taking her in his arms. “Let’s get settled in here and see how things go.”