- Text Size +
Emma and Addie were packing the last few things she had left at Jessie’s. Howie went to pick up the moving truck and they wanted everything to be ready when he got back.

“It was nice of the jackass to leave for a few days.”

“Don’t start that again Addie. We all know he’s a jerk. I just wanna move and be done with everything.”

Emma taped the final box and sat down on the floor. Addie sighed, sat down next to her and draped her arm around her shoulder.

“I’m sorry Em. You’re my best friend and I get defensive. I don’t like you getting hurt.”

“I know you don’t but it happened. I should have seen it coming.”

“What coming?”

“Him and I going our separate ways. It was going to happen eventually.”

Addie was interrupted by the honking of a horn. The girls got up and walked out to the truck. Emma was just about to open the back when she saw the passenger side door open.

“What are you doing here?” she exclaimed.

Nick smiled and walked over to her with a coffee.

“Your favorite and I’m here to help you move. I wasn’t gonna let Howie sweep in and save the day by himself.”

“But Lauren….”

“Don’t worry about it.” Nick said and pulled her into a hug. “Let’s get you moved.”

---------------------------------

It was a few hours later when Emma finally locked her storage unit and walked back out to the truck. She couldn’t believe that her life had come down to living in her best friend’s spare room and having most of her stuff locked in storage. The whole situation was more than she could handle and the tears were threatening to fall.

They all drove back to Addie’s in silence. The two girls went up to the house and Nick was going to follow Howie and drop the truck off at the rental place.

“Thank you for all you’re doing for me Addie.” Emma said, hugging her best friend. “I really don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“It’s ok Em. You would do the same for me.”

Addie hating seeing her best friend hurting and it seemed to have gotten worse since they moved all of her things out.

“I think I’m gonna take a shower.”

“Want me to make you some tea?”

“No but thank you. You need to get ready too. Aren’t you and Howie going out tonight?”

“We were but we can stay here with you.”

“Absolutely not.” Emma said quietly. “I don’t want to disrupt your life or your plans. I’m already in the way enough.”

“You are never in the way!”

“I am though. I appreciate you letting me stay but you need to do whatever you need to do. I’ll order some takeout and watch a movie or something.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“You sure you don’t want tea?”

“No and I think you should shower first. That way you can be ready when Howie comes back.”

Addie agreed and left Emma alone in the living room. She curled into a ball on the sofa and waited for Addie to come out.

----------------------

“I’m not sure we should leave her alone tonight.”

Howie had just gotten back with Nick and found Addie waiting for him in the living room.

“How bad is it?”

“Pretty bad. I can hear her crying in the shower. I just want to go kick Jessie’s ass.”

Nick felt awful for Emma. She was an amazing woman and had given Jessie all she had. He decided to pay her back by finding a new girlfriend and kicking her out of the house.

“We can stay if you want to.”

“I just feel horrible. She doesn’t even have Della here.”

Emma had decided to board Della overnight so that they could move without having to worry that she would get loose.

“Ok. We’ll cancel the reservation and stay in.”

“You don’t mind?”

“No, I just have to…………”

“No.” Nick said, stopping him. “I can stay here with Emma. You guys go enjoy your night and I’ll keep her company.”

“You don’t have anything else to do?” Addie asked cautiously. She didn’t want Lauren calling at some point and Nick running off to deal with her.

“Nothing. I promise that the only thing on the agenda for tonight is keeping Em company.”

“Ok, but……..”

The conversation was cut short because they could hear Emma coming downstairs.