- Text Size +
The furniture arrived the next day and Howie came over to help put everything together. Emma and Addie were at work and Nick wanted to surprise her by having everything set and ready.

“How’d it go last night?” Howie asked.

“Good.” Nick answered. “This place is really beautiful.”

“I know, you got lucky.”

“I did. So did Emma. This place is gonna be great for both of us.”

“You certainly seem to think so.” Howie grinned.

“Give it a rest D.”

“What? I didn’t say anything!”

“You didn’t have to!”

“Good.”

“Anyway.” Nick said changing the subject. “When are we leaving?”

“Tomorrow about nine.”

Nick groaned. “I hate early morning flights.”

“Too bad Nicky. I’m gonna swing by and pick you up around seven so you’d better be ready.”

“I will but I won’t be happy about it.”

Howie just shook his head. “It’s a good thing we can meet with this one. He seems pretty busy and is squeezing us in during his off time.”

“I hope we don’t get too rushed.”

Nick moved the last piece where he wanted into the living room and stood back to admire his handiwork. The living room, dining room and kitchen were all set. The only things left were the two bedrooms and the three bathrooms.
Emma would be home soon so he and Howie sped up to get the rest of it done. Howie had just left when Emma pulled into the driveway and opened the front door.

“Surprise!” Nick yelled.

Emma was amazed. Everything was in place and it took on the look of a lived in house.

“This is amazing Nick. How did you do it?”

Nick plopped down on the couch and smiled at his new roommate. “Howie and I did it together.”

“You guys must have been busy.” Emma responded, collapsing into one of the new chairs. “I would have helped you.”

“You don’t have to. After working all day, the last thing you want to do is move furniture.”

“I know, but I would have. This house is my responsibility too.”

“I’ll make you a deal then. If anything isn’t where you want it, I’ll sit back and let you move it.”

“Such a gentleman.” Emma said sarcastically and threw a pillow at him. “Did you make dinner too?”

“Um Betty Crocker I am not.”

Emma laughed. “I’ll try and find something around here.”

“How about we just get takeout again?”

“I’m paying if we do.”

“No you are not! You paid last night.”

“But you did all the work today. I owe you.”

“You don’t owe me……”

“Yes I do Nick. Just order and I’ll pay.” Emma left the room without giving Nick a chance to respond.

“Stubborn woman.” Nick muttered and picked up the phone.

An hour later, the two were sitting in the den, eating pizza and watching a movie.

“What time are you guys leaving tomorrow?” Emma asked.

“Howie’s coming at seven and he told me that I had better be ready.”

“I guess that’s an order huh?”

“Yeah, D doesn’t like being late to anything.”

“I don’t blame him. How long are you gone for?”

“What’s with all the questions? You planning a giant party while I’m away?”

“Yeah, a huge kegger.” Emma replied and rolled her eyes. “I just don’t want to be surprised if someone’s trying to open the door. I don’t wanna attack you thinking you’re a burglar.”

“Thanks for the heads up killer.” Nick laughed. “We’ll be home in five days. Does that help?”

“Yup. Now I can order the keg!”

“Wise ass.”

Emma chuckled and stood up to stretch. She reached out her hand and Nick gave her a weird look which made her laugh again.

“I need your plate so I can throw it away.”

Nick turned red and handed her his plate. She turned and headed up to the kitchen. Wanting to avoid more embarrassment, he turned his attention back to the screen. Emma came back a few minutes later and announced that she was heading to bed.

“Have a good trip tomorrow if I don’t see you.”

“Aren’t you usually up by then?”

“I have a conference tomorrow so I have to leave earlier than usual.”

“Have fun at that.” Nick said making a sad face.

“Yeah right. It’ll be a blast.”

Emma waved and headed down to her room. Nick heard the door close and he decided he should finish packing. He didn’t want D beating down his door because he wasn’t ready.