- Text Size +
Nick woke up early the next morning and wandered down to the kitchen. His plan to make breakfast was stopped by a note from Emma.

Hey,
I wanted to wish you good luck and make sure you were fed before Howie got here. There’s fruit salad in the fridge and bagels by the toaster. Be safe and have fun!

Emma 

He smiled and dug out everything she’d made. By the time Howie showed up, he had showered, changed and was on his second bowl of fruit salad.

“Where’d you get that?” Howie asked. “It looks really good.”

“Emma made it for me.”

“Oh she did huh?” Howie asked noticing the note she left. “Wow. She lives with you for a few days and she’s already taking care of you.”

“Shut up.” Nick said and whacked his friend in the head. “She was up early and she just left me breakfast.”

“I’m not knocking it. Addie didn’t even wake up when I left.” Howie replied with a laugh.

“That’s because you guys are dating, we’re just roommates.”

“If that’s the case, then I wanna come live here too!”

“No freaking way dude!”

Howie chuckled and looked at his watch. “We’d better get going. I don’t want to…”

“Be late. I get it.” Nick put the rest of the food in the fridge and grabbed his stuff. “Let’s go.”

-----------------------------

“What’s up for tonight?” Addie asked her friend as they headed out of the building. “Want some company?”

“Sure. It’ll be nice to have some girl time.”

“Uh huh. Now we can talk about the boys without them being around.”

Emma laughed and opened her car door. She slid in and shoved all of her stuff over. “What time?”

“How about seven?”

“Sounds good to me.”

Emma backed out of her parking spot and waved to her friend as she left. She pulled into the driveway shortly after and decided to take Della for a walk on the beach before Addie got there. As soon as she let her out, the dog started barking and ran over to the side of the house. She sat there barking at the gate and Emma had to drag her away from it. It was unlocked and she couldn’t remember if she had closed it or not.

Before she could worry about it, the doorbell rang and she found Addie standing on the front porch with dinner. She decided that she probably left it open when she took Della out this morning and forgot to lock it.

“What’s up with the confused look?” Addie asked.

“It’s nothing. I must have left the gate open when I left this morning.”

“That’s not like you.” Addie commented, handing her friend the bag of Chinese food. “Are you sure Nick didn’t leave it open?”

Emma had totally forgotten that Nick left after her this morning. “You’re right, it was probably him.”

“Feel better now?”

“Much. Just made me nervous.”

Addie laughed and started unpacking the bag. She placed everything on the kitchen table and they sat down to enjoy dinner. It was about ten when Addie finally left and Emma made sure everything was closed and locked. She had just climbed into bed when her cell beeped. Opening it, she found a text from Nick.

Here fine. Hope you’re enjoying your party! Make sure you clean up!

Emma laughed and texted him back. She made sure to include an emoticon with its tongue sticking out. Settling down under the covers, she set her alarm and curled up with her body pillow. As tired as she was, she just couldn’t fall asleep. She was so used to having someone else in the house and being by herself was a little scary. It’s only for a couple of days, she thought to herself and after another hour, she finally fell asleep