- Text Size +
“I think that’ll be terrific Nick.”

Nick grinned. The producer they had come to see was fantastic and had some really great ideas for his solo album. They had worked all night and already had some tracks laid down. He was exhausted but really energized by all the creativity. Chris helped him finalize a few things and then he headed out to meet Howie for breakfast.

Howie walked in as Nick was finishing his second cup of coffee and ordered himself one as he sat down.

“You look exhausted Nick.”

“Chris and I were up all night laying down tracks for the album.”

“Any good?”

“Definitely! He’s amazing and had some terrific ideas.”

The waitress brought Howie’s coffee and then took their orders for breakfast.

“So,” Howie asked changing the subject, “how’s Emma?”

Nick shrugged. “I don’t know. I haven’t talked to her.”

“She didn’t call you about yesterday?”

“No.” Nick said slowly. “What happened yesterday?”

“I guess Emma came home from walking Della and found some woman peeking into the windows of the house.”

“What?” Nick yelled.

“Yeah. Della must have chased her off. Addie said something about a gate being left open too.”

“Is Emma ok?”

Howie shook his head. “Addie said it looks like she hasn’t slept in two weeks. I guess she’s creeped out being by herself.”

“I have to go home.”

Howie’s jaw dropped. “Go home? We have three more days.”

“I need to check on Emma and do something about a security system.”

“You’re that worried?” Howie asked with a grin.

“Yes I am.” Nick replied. “This isn’t a joke.”

“Calm down. It was probably just a fan who figured out where you’re living.”

“Maybe, but Emma’s not used to that kind of stuff. I would be scared if I was in her shoes.”

“You can fix it when you get home. I’ll tell Addie to go spend the next couple nights with her. She’ll be fine.”

“No. I’m booking a flight and I’m going home tonight. The rest of this stuff can wait.”

Howie was stunned. Nick was usually one to let things go and focus on whatever he was doing. He knew that Nick had a thing for Emma but he didn’t realize that he was that serious about it; he wasn’t even sure if Nick realized it.

“Ok, ok.”

Nick dug his phone out and started looking for flights. By the end of breakfast, Nick had booked himself on a flight that would arrive in Boston late that night.

-----------------------

Emma felt like she hadn’t slept in days. Her mind kept racing and she was driving herself nuts gets nervous over ever little noise she heard. Seeing that woman peeking into the house that afternoon was starting to completely freak her out. She understood the point Addie made about it probably being a fan but she just couldn’t relax.

She was so scared that she had taken to sleeping with an old sock full of rocks near her bed. There weren’t many “weapons” in the house so she made one for herself. If something else was going to happen, she was planning on using it to protect herself.

It was after midnight by the time she started to fall asleep. She curled up next to Della and flung her arm over the dog. Drowsiness was setting in and she was hoping for just one night’s sleep. Before that could happen, she heard a noise coming from outside. There was a car door slamming and then she heard something bumping along the front walkway. Della had leapt up from the bed and was starting out her bedroom door.

Emma grabbed the sock from her nightstand and crept down the hallway behind Della. This was ridiculous, this was her house and no one was going to scare her into hiding. She had her back against the wall in the foyer and had the sock swung back so she could easily let it go.

The doorknob rattled and turned a few times. Whoever was trying to get in tried a few more times and finally got the door unlocked. The door swung open and Emma let out a karate yell. She lobbed the sock as hard as she could and she felt it connect with something. Grabbing the phone to call the police, she flipped on the light and stopped in her tracks.