- Text Size +
“So you’re coming right?” Emma asked.

“Of course.” Addie replied. “We’ll be over in an hour. Can we bring anything?”

“Nope, I think we’re all set.”

“Ok. See you in a bit.”

Emma hung up her phone and returned to her bedroom where Nick was slowly getting dressed.

“I left you alone for ten minutes and you’re just getting dressed?” Emma asked with a smile.

Nick walked over and pulled her close to him. “I was hoping that a certain someone might change their mind and want to stay in bed a little longer.” he answered with a gentle kiss.

“We can’t stay in bed forever.”

“I’m not saying forever but maybe for a couple more days.”

“Days?” Emma repeated with a chuckle. “I don’t think I have enough energy for a couple of days.”

“I think we could handle it.”

“I hate to disappoint you but Addie and Howie are coming over for dinner and it might be a little uncomfortable for everyone if we have dinner in my bedroom.”

“That reminds me.” Nick said. “We need to pick one of our bedrooms and use that one.”

“Why?”

“Uh, because couples usually sleep in the same bed.” He paused for a minute and then started to grin. “Unless of course you think we’re gonna wear one bed out and need the other one just in case.”

“Nick!” Emma yelped turning bright red.

“Just kidding.” Nick chuckled.

“Good! Try and keep the comments clean when Addie and Howie get here.”

“No promises beautiful.”

-----------------------

“Anybody home?” Addie called, pushing open the door.

“Down here!” Emma yelled.

Howie and Addie followed her voice down to the kitchen where they found Emma cooking.

“Where’s Nick?”

“Right here.” Nick replied coming in from taking Della for a walk. “How’re you guys?”

“Good.” Howie grinned. “But I hear you’re more than good.”

Nick’s face was beaming. “I would say great.”

“All right you two.” Addie said sternly. “Go have your boy talk in the living room, I wanna talk to Em.”

“Ok, ok.” Howie responded with a laugh and held his hands up. “We’re leaving now.”

Addie watched as the boys left and then turned to her friend.

“So…what’s the deal?”

“What deal?” Emma asked innocently. “There’s no deal.”

“Bullshit. I can see it written all over your face.”

Emma tried as hard as she could but the smile just crept onto her face.

“He’s amazing.”

“Yes!” Addie smirked. “I knew you two were bound to get together at some point. Has he started calling you the g-word yet?”

Emma nodded.

“Why don’t you look happy about it?”

“I’m just nervous.”

“Why?”

“He just ended things with Lauren and as much as I want this relationship with him, it makes me wonder if it will last.”

“You need to stop with all these doubts. He obviously wants to be with you. I mean he flew back from working to check on you and make sure you were safe. Howie said if there was a plane at the restaurant, he would have been on it.”

“I know. I’m just scared. I have really strong feelings for him….”

“Do you love him?” Addie interrupted.

“No, at least I don’t think so. I’m just feeling a lot of things and I’m kind of afraid to put my heart out there.”

“Why?”

“What if he breaks it? What if he decides that he jumped into this too fast and the feelings on his part fade away.”

“I don’t think that’s gonna happen.”

“Maybe not but you can’t be sure.”

“No, you’re right, I can’t be. But I do know that he cares for you a lot and I don’t think he would hurt you.”

“I don’t think he wants to hurt me but he might still do it unintentionally.”

“You have to stop Em. Just appreciate the time you have together. No one can guarantee anything in life and you have to enjoy it while you have him. He may surprise you.”

“He doesn’t have to surprise me; he just needs to not hurt me.”

Addie came over and put her arm around her friend. “I have faith in him. You need to too.”

Emma nodded and went back to cooking dinner.

-----------------------------

“How happy are you right now?” Howie asked as he took a seat across from Nick.

“Extremely.”

“I bet.” Howie laughed. “I’m happy for you guys. You make a great couple.”

“I think so.” Nick replied with a serious tone.

“What’s the matter then?”

“I’m not so sure that Emma does.”

“Why would you say that? She looks pretty happy to me.”

“She hesitated and wouldn’t call me her boyfriend. I practically had to force her to say it.”

“That might be the problem.”

“Why?”

“You two just got out of long term serious relationships. Maybe you should slow things down a little.”

“What’d you mean?”

“I mean that she might be nervous about this whole thing. I’m guessing you don’t want to get hurt again and I’m pretty sure she doesn’t either.”

“I’m not going to hurt her.” Nick said offended.

“I know you’re not but maybe she doesn’t. You guys got together pretty fast and maybe she thinks you’re looking at it like a rebound thing.”

“But it’s not!”

“I know that,” Howie replied patiently, “but she might have concerns about it.”

“Well how do I fix it?”

“Talk to her, make sure she understands that you have real feelings for her.”

“I already told her that.”

Howie laughed. “She’s a woman; she may need to hear it more than once!”

Nick chuckled. “I’ll talk to her again after you guys leave.”

“Sounds good. Let’s go get some dinner.”