- Text Size +
“I’m exhausted.”

They had just gotten back from the snow tube run and shed their coats and boots. After warming up by the fire for a few minutes, Emma crawled onto the bed and her head quickly found a pillow.

“My body is gonna hate me tomorrow.” Nick moaned.

“So is mine. I can feel the bruises starting!” she replied with a laugh.

“Well, we’re not done for today.”

Emma’s eyes grew wide. “There’s more?”

“Just a couple.”

Emma groaned and closed her eyes.

“Come on.” Nick said. “You enjoyed this one.”

Her eyes stayed closed but she smiled in response. Nick chuckled and pulled the covers up over them both. He tugged her closer and kissed her on the head. She wrapped her arms around him and snuggled as close as she could.

“I don’t need anything more than this.” she whispered.

Nick smiled and the two fell asleep a few moments later.

-----------------------------

“C’mon sleepyhead.”

Emma grumbled and pulled the covers up over her head. Nick laughed and pulled them completely off her.

“It’s time for your next surprise.”

“I hate you.” Emma replied with a smile.

“No, you love me.” Nick teased. “That’s why you’re gonna get in the shower, warm up and be ready in 20 minutes.”

“Twenty minutes?” she yelped. “I can’t shower, do my hair and everything in twenty minutes!”

“You better try!”

Emma jumped out of bed and raced into the bathroom. Nick heard the shower start and opened the door thinking he might join her.

“Uh-huh buddy! If I only have twenty minutes, you have to wait!”

He laughed and closed the door. Dialing his phone, he waited for the front desk to pick up. The clerk assured him that everything would be taken care of and he wanted to make sure. Once they confirmed it, he dropped onto the bed and waited for Emma to finish.

-------------------------

“That was so good!” Emma raved as they made their way to the lobby of the lodge. “I love crème brulee and no one ever has it! You managed a great surprise.”

Nick chuckled. “That wasn’t the surprise.”

“It wasn’t?”

“Nope.” Nick pushed the main door to the lodge open. “This is.”

Emma’s jaw dropped. Waiting outside the lodge was a horse drawn sleigh with blankets and pillows piled up in the seats. The driver smiled and helped her up into the carriage part. There she found a dozen roses, a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered pineapple slices. Her eyes welled up as Nick climbed into the seat next to her.

“Do you like it?” Nick asked quietly.

“I love it Nick.” Emma whispered. “It’s the most amazing thing anyone has ever done for me.”

She slid as close to him as she could and kissed him gently. Wrapping her arms around his neck, she deepened her kiss and felt his arms encircle her waist.

“This is about as close to you as I can get here but wait until we get back to the room tonight.” Emma said in a low voice.

“I may have to cancel the rest of this.” Nick joked.

“Don’t you dare.”

Emma curled up close to him and pulled a blanket over both of them. She leaned her head against his shoulder and the sleigh took off slowly. The snow covered area was beautiful and the horses lead them into what looked like a winter wonderland to her. Trees were covered in snow, the lake’s surface glittered and the moon was bright and full.

“I remember another time we went on a ride like this.”

Emma giggled. “I remember too. I believe you had to save me yet again.”

“I’m glad I did.”

Emma blushed. “Me too.”

“I really mean it Em. These past few months with you have been amazing and I know how lucky I am to have you. You mean so much to me and I’m gonna do whatever I can to remind you of that.”

“You already do Nick.”

“I’m gonna keep doing it. We’ve been through a lot between our past and our present and we’ve managed to come out on top. We have each other and that’s important to me.”

“It means a lot to me Nick. You’ve made me happier than I could have imagined being and I value that.”

“Even if I say stupid things and TMZ shows doctored photos?”

“Even if they do that.” she replied with a laugh. “You’ve taught me to have faith again in someone else and I know that I need to trust you and us. If we can do that, we’re gonna be fine.”

“Just make sure you remember that. Nothing is going to come between us and we’re gonna be able to handle anything that comes our way as long as we do it together.”

“Agreed.”

Nick kissed her gently and they enjoyed the rest of the ride in quiet. The sleigh finally pulled up in front of their cottage an hour later and Emma reminded Nick of what she said in the carriage. He smiled and carried her up the stairs and into the room. Slipping the do not disturb sign onto the door, Nick turned around and found Emma waiting for him.