- Text Size +
“So what are you getting Nick for Christmas?”

Emma shrugged her shoulders. “I have no idea. He has everything he needs and some of the things he really wants, I can’t afford. I don’t want to just get him something for the sake of getting him something. It’s got to be something special.”

“I’m sure you’ll think of something.”

“I hope so.” Emma replied with a laugh. “Otherwise, he’s getting me with a bow!”

Addie chuckled. “I’m sure he’d like that!”

“I would hope so! If he doesn’t, we have a serious problem.”

Addie stood there for a minute watching her friend as she perused some books at the Barnes and Noble that they had stopped at. It took Emma a few moments to notice and she gave Addie a strange look.

“What? Do I have something stuck on my back?” she asked as her hand ran over her sweater. “Why are you staring at me like that?”

Addie grinned. “Nothing, you just look really happy. I haven’t seen that look on you in a while and Carter is definitely responsible for it.”

Emma’s face went red; she turned away and pretended to look for a cookbook.

“It’s nothing to be ashamed of Em. You should be happy and as far as I can tell, he’s good to you. And good for you.”

“He is.” Emma whispered. “I really like him a lot.”

“That’s crap!”

Emma’s jawed dropped. “Why would you say something like that?”

“You don’t really like him a lot Em, you love him.”

“What, but, no, it’s…..”

“Yeah right.”

“No really, he hasn’t said it and I’m not sure how I feel and…”

“Whatever. You can keep telling yourself that you don’t, but you do. I’ve known you a long time and there is no lying to me. What you are feeling is love whether you say it or not.”

“I’m not saying it.”

“Like I said, you don’t really have to.” Addie sighed. “And honestly, I don’t know why you’re trying to hide it. What’s the problem with loving your boyfriend?”

“Have you and Howie said it?” Emma threw back at her.

“Actually we have and we’ve both pointed out that it’s long past time that our stubborn friends admit it.”

“I can’t.”

“Yes you can. Its three words. You’re an English teacher; you can manage to say I love you.”

“It’s three words that have a lot of depth behind it. I don’t want to say it unless I’m positive and I think that he feels the same way.”

“Howie says he does.”

“Well Nick hasn’t said it so maybe Howie, and you, just think you know something you don’t.”

“Ouch!”

“I’m sorry Addie.” Emma turned back to the books. “I just don’t want to make another mistake.”

“I know that Em, I really do. I’m not pushing you to say it; I just want you to admit it to yourself.”

“Got it. Can we just finish shopping?”

“Sure.” Addie replied quietly. “Where do you want to go next?”

--------------------------------------

Nick jumped up when he saw the girls approaching and ran over to help Emma with her bags. He leaned in close and gently kissed her on the cheek. “Thank you for saving me.” he whispered.

“Bonding with Howie wasn’t fun?” she teased.

“I’ve bonded enough with Dorough. All I wanna do is get through dinner and go home to bond with you.”

“Oh..did I forget to mention that they’re staying with us for a few days?” Emma asked her eyes not meeting Nick’s.

“WHAT?!?”

Emma cracked up. “I love messing with you. They’re not staying with us; it’s just you and me.”

Nick wrapped his arms around Emma’s waist. “Keep messing with me lady and see what happens when we get home!”

“Is that a promise?”

“Absolutely!”

“Hey lovebirds!”

Both of them froze after hearing Howie’s choice of words. He instantly regretted saying it and decided to just gloss over it and keep going.

“We’re gonna lose our reservation if we don’t get going.”

Emma and Nick nodded and headed out of the mall behind their friends. They didn’t make eye contact with each other and it began to feel a little uncomfortable. By the time they climbed into the car, Emma couldn’t take it anymore and reached out for Nick’s hand. He smiled, grateful for the contact, and pulled her against his side. Since Howie was driving, the two of them could just hang back and let their friends do the talking.

--------------------------

A few hours later, they left their friends at Addie’s and headed back to the house. Della was waiting by the door for them when they pulled in and she jumped up on Nick, wagging her tail and licking his face.

“I missed you too girl.” he said laughing.

“She really did miss you. Almost as much as me.”

“Oh really?” Nick asked with a sexy grin. “And exactly how much did you miss me?”

“Why don’t you take Della for a little walk and when you come back, I’ll show you.”

As Emma watched with amusement, Nick and Della raced each other to the back door, Nick almost tripping on his own feet. She waited till they were gone and headed down to their bedroom. Lighting some candles and putting on some soft music, she changed into the outfit that she knew Nick loved the most and sat on their bed waiting for him. He didn’t make her wait long before he came barreling in the door. Noticing everything she’d done, he lay down on the bed and pulled her over.

“You have no idea how much I’ve missed you!”