- Text Size +
Nick and Emma returned from their weekend away without any more issues and just as Emma predicted, the next few weeks found them both absorbed in their work. They spent as much time as they could together but Nick and the guys had to travel for a few media events and Emma had to finish the semester at school. It was a few days before Christmas before they were finally home at the same time.

“I missed you.” Emma said as she picked him up from the airport.

“Same here.” Nick replied and kissed her gently. “You’re done with school right?”

“Yes I am!”

“Good, maybe we can finally spend some time alone without having to do anything.”

Emma laughed and started the trip home. “I am off until after New Year’s. Maybe we can plan on going somewhere.”

“I like how you think!”

“I’m planning this one though. I don’t want any more surprises from you!”

“That’s just wrong. I didn’t think it was gonna be that bad.”

“I’m not taking any chances Mr. Carter. I’m going to stay on solid ground and not participate in any activities that put my safety in jeopardy.”

“That pretty much cuts out everything except sitting on the couch for you.” Nick teased.

“You’re a jerk.” Emma replied with a laugh. “You better watch it because I will pull this car over and make you walk home.”

“Ok, ok.” Nick responded, raising his hands. “Waving the white flag.”

“Good!”

“To change the subject, what are we doing tonight?”

“We’re going Christmas shopping.”

Nick groaned. “Do we have to?”

“Yes.” Emma said sternly. “We both have to get it done. Addie and Howie are coming with us.”

“I swear sometimes I feel like I’m dating Addie and D too!”

Emma smiled. “Well, you’re not. Once we get everything done and go to dinner, we can head home and enjoy time alone.”

“We’d better.” Nick grumbled.

“I swear we will.”

“I’ll believe it when we do!”

--------------------------------

An hour later, the foursome had gathered at the mall and they split up with the guys doing their own thing. Nick and Howie decided to head to the food court and hang out until the girls were done.

“Look, we get to hang out some more.” Howie teased.

“Yeah.” Nick laughed. “I don’t get to see your face enough, now we get one on one time!”

“I’m not that bad.”

“Whatever.” Nick took a sip of his soda. “What’d you get Addie for Christmas?”

“I found this necklace when we were on our last trip. I got her some perfume and tickets to see a show on Broadway.”

“What show?”

“Les Mis.”

“Emma is always talking about how she loves that play. She’s made me watch the movie three times.”

“You should go with us then. I’m sure I can get two more tickets.”

“That would be great, Emma would love it.”

“I’ll call tomorrow and see what I can do. What else are you getting her?”

“I don’t know, I really haven’t thought about it.”

“Nick! Christmas will be here in a few days. You have to get her something.”

“Well maybe we can look at some jewelry while we’re here.”

“What are you going to look for?”

“I don’t know. Stop putting me on the spot!”

“I’m not putting you on the spot. I don’t know why you seem so nervous. Are you planning to propose?”

Nick spit his soda across the table. “What?” he sputtered.

“Gross.” Howie replied wiping soda off his jacket. “I was just kidding.”

“Don’t say stuff like that. Especially in front of Emma!”

“What’s with you Nick? You two seem great together and I know you care about her.”

“Of course I care about her. I wouldn’t be with her if I didn’t.”

“Then what is it? I’m assuming you already told her you love her.”

“No.”

“What’d you mean no?”

“I mean I haven’t said it yet.”

“What are you waiting for?”

“I don’t know. I just feel like it hasn’t been the right time.”

“What constitutes the right time?”

“When I’m ready.”

Howie cocked his head to the side and stared at his friend. “You’re scared.”

“No I’m not.”

“Yes you are.” Howie replied frankly. “That whole situation with Lauren really affected you didn’t it?”

Nick sighed and shrugged his shoulders.

“You’re afraid to open up again.”

“Maybe.”

“There’s no maybe Nick. You’re afraid to tell Emma how you feel.”

“I don’t know how she feels. I’m not even sure how I feel. We’ve only been together a few months Howie and I don’t want to rush into anything.”

“You mean you don’t want to rush into anything that might get you hurt.”

“Look, I’ll figure it out. I don’t want to say something unless I’m a hundred percent sure that’s how I feel. I’m not going to make another mistake.”

Howie let it go at that point because he could see how agitated Nick was getting. He loved his little brother but he knew Nick wasn’t being honest with himself. Emma was the perfect girl for him and Howie knew that if Nick could stop being afraid, he could admit that he loved her. It was obvious in everything Nick said and did as far as she was concerned; he just needed to see it.
Chapter End Notes:
Thank you Sapphire for all your help!