- Text Size +
Footsteps


I hear them coming towards me but there’s nothing I can do. With every breath I dare to take, the sound gets closer and closer. I know I’m alone…I know I’m alone.

I was on the phone, a fun call too, an innocent call, a call that really needed to be made. I’m glad I made that call when I did. Somehow I feel like maybe that was the last one I’ll ever make.

What was it we talked about? Ice cream cake… that’s right. He asked me what kind of ice cream cake he should buy for his son; a big whale or a Barney cake.

I love the ocean so I went with the whale.

I close my eyes and try to listen; the footsteps have come to a sudden halt. Sounds like they are trying to decide whether to venture up the stairs or not. I really hope not because that’s where I am; at the top of the stairs, to the left in my linen closet.

Brian and I talked for over an hour; I sat on my kitchen table and laughed out loud quite a few times while turning the phone cord in my hands. A bad habit I had picked up from my Mother.

I hung up the phone with him and immediately heard the click of my back door. The door I had forgotten to lock after letting my dogs outside. The door I was always yelled at to remember to lock just in case.

Just in case.

I hear the footsteps once again this time accompanied by a slow creak. The kind of creak you hear when someone is walking cautiously up an old flight of stairs.

This can’t be happening because I know I’m alone…I know I’m alone.

I try to get a hold of my emotions, I need to stop shaking. I need to take a few deep breaths and calm myself down. It’s probably just the wind. That’s all it is. After all it is a windy night. That would explain the creaking.

My heart is racing in my chest and I fear that if the phantom footsteps I hear coming towards me don’t kill me then my own heart will. I have to calm down; this isn’t any scarier than being chased by a pack of screaming girls.

This is all my imagination.

One too many scary movies; isn’t that what Kevin would say? I have an overactive imagination. I really hope he is right this one time.

Ha! Me hoping Kevin is right…I’m kind of glad no one heard me say that. Once again the sound of the walking has stopped and I exhale another breath. This is ridiculous of me to think like this, I am such a wuss. I’m sure the guys would be laughing hysterically at me by…wait a minute; I sit up a little straighter, trying to listen to what I now am convinced is a growl. It’s low and vicious, I swear it is.

That can’t be right, I am alone…I know I’m alone.

Where the hell is that growling noise coming from? Could one of my dogs possibly have gotten into the house? Yes! Maybe that’s the answer, maybe one of them crept back into the house and up the stairs…but why would they be growling?

Then I hear the scratching, a low dark growl and sniffing and scratching coming from the hallway. Not to far from where I am. I tense again and try to pull my legs even closer to my body then they are now. I don’t need whatever that thing is smelling me.

I fumble for the phone in the dark, only to realize it is where I had left it. On the kitchen table.

I try to recognize the sound of the growl, but to me it sounds almost…human.

Now I know I am letting my imagination get the better of me. This is ridiculous. I have to stop this nonsense; there is no one in this house but me. The wind is making things creak and the growl is my imagination.

I have an overactive imagination. At least that is what Kevin has always told me. Still just to be safe, I try to shimmy closer and closer to the wall, guiding my feet away from the little crack in the door; A line of light shining through it.

The growling is coming closer, I can hear it’s breathing. I say it because I have no idea what on earth it could be. It’s definitely not one of my dogs though. That much I am sure of.

My dogs do not sound human. And when I say human I really mean human, because at the end of the growl is a small snarled laugh. It’s claws are clicking on the ground as it makes it’s way towards the place where I am hiding.

I wish I was wearing my crucifix.

It’s on my nightstand next to my bed. I never take it off; well tonight I did. I bought a brand new one. More expensive and a lot more flashy. Not that it matters now.

Suddenly the footsteps and the growling move away from me and wander down the other end of the hallway. A dank smell wafts up my nostrils as the clicking suddenly comes to a halt.

What the hell is going on?

I take a deep breath to try to shake off the terror living inside me threatening to come out in a blood curdling scream. I can’t stand the silence but yet I fear the sound of unwanted footsteps coming towards me.

AJ would say this is a classic no win situation.

I wish AJ was here and I wasn’t, let him deal with this no win situation while I go out clubbing with my friends. Okay I didn’t mean that. I wouldn’t want AJ to have to deal with this anymore than anyone else. Well okay maybe Larry Gable from the fourth grade. He was a jerk. He could gladly take my place and I wouldn’t feel the least bit guilty.

What the hell am I talking about? Okay Nick…calm down you are starting to nervous babble.

There is nothing going on anymore. The growling and the footsteps have stopped. Maybe it’s gone away. Maybe they were never there to begin with.

I have an overactive imagination that’s all it is…Right?

Than they start again…The creaking as if someone is walking up the stairs.

This time there is no mistaking the fact that something is heading up the stairs. With every creak of a step I shudder in fear. I have never been this scared in my life.

I picture calm sandy beaches and laughing with my friends to try relaxing but it doesn’t work because just like the footsteps, the growling has also started up again.

Click…click…click

Creak…creak…creak

The sound of its very huge nails on the floor. It sounds excited, like a lion ready to pounce on prey. It’s wheezing and growling full blown now and in the growl I can hear that laugh. Low and gurgly. Is gurgly even a word?

Click…click…click

Creak…creak…creak

Now it’s right outside the door again. I hear its breathing as I try to muffle mine.

This isn’t real…I mean I am alone. I know I’m alone…

It stops and I can tell it is facing my door; the only thing blocking me from it. I wish I had installed a lock on the linen closet, for emergencies like this.

My hands are shaking so violently now that to stop I have to sit on them, but to sit on them I would have to move and to move would let that thing hear me.

No win situation.

I can see from the small line of light coming through the crack of the door, that whatever it is has feet.

Feet…not paws

I can’t hide my fear anymore. I am a wreck and gasp. I actually gasped.

It laughed at that. It knew I was in there; he was waiting for me to lose it.

Then I hear it put its entire wait on the door, he’s scratching to get in. And all I can do is sit. I try to recall the Our Father.

I remembered some of it, but I always lose my place after Give us this day our daily bre…AH! Now I stupidly scream as it body slams into the door. Laughing and growling.

This can’t be happening…I am alone!

It sounds viscous and I see the door slowly starting to give under its weight. I decide to try to stand; maybe when it makes its way in here I will be able to tackle it to the ground or something.

Its claws are now tearing into the wood. The same claws that will soon be tearing into me. I wrap my arms around myself shuddering at what is to come; hoping that I can die as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Why did I hide in the linen closet?

The hinges are slowly starting to bend and I can’t help but cry now as I can actually see a little bit of its outline.

Red eyes…Of course, why wouldn’t it have red eyes?

I decided to turn my back from the door and try to claw my way out of the closet. I know I’m not thinking rationally but would you?

I smell its breath and try not to gag as I feel the warmth of his breath on my neck.

It’s in…

I hyperventilate as I feel its hand on my shoulder.

A hand?

Then suddenly…nothing.

I keep my eyes closed for a small eternity waiting for it to swipe at me. Nothing happens.

Wait a minute…I was in the linen closet. Why couldn’t it get in? I turn around to see the door still in place. Not a scratch, dent or mark at all.

This was all my imagination? I say out loud in disbelief, but relived…very relieved.

I step out of my linen closet and smile. Maybe Kevin was right. I do have an overactive imagination.

I place my hand on my chest and head for the stairs…that’s when I hear the growl again, this time coming from directly behind me.

I tense up

I’m alone…I know I’m alone, this is my imagination…I mean come on?

I turn around and that’s when I see it.

The red eyes

The feet

The hand…only one

You’re not real I say to it as it walks towards me. This isn’t real because I am alone…I know I’m alone!

It smiles

I could try to tackle it to the ground

I could try to turn and run

Or I can go with my gut and say this isn’t real

No win situation

So I just shake my head and scream as it comes for me

I know I’m alone…I know I’m al…





Happy Halloween


LOL!