- Text Size +
Chapter 8

“ So are you ready for lunch?” Nick asked as his girlfriend of the week sat down in the passenger seat.
“ Hey Nick, yeah I've waited all day for this.” Summer said as Nick got into the car and leaned over and gave her a kiss.
“ That's great for I too have been waiting for lunch today, I thought we head over to Black Opal Seafood Restaurant.” Nick said as he buckled his seat belt.
“ Oh man I love that place, it's been a while since I have been there in awhile. Oh before I forget my parents wanted me to ask you for dinner this weekend. Daddy is planning to take the boat out and thought we head down to the Keys for a week.” Summer said as Nick headed down to Treasure Island Causeway before turning on to the road that will take them over to the other side of St. Petersburg to the where the restaurant is.
“ Oh...um... I'll have to see what is going on and I'll let you know tomorrow. Man I haven't been down in the Keys since the race in Marathon, I was thinking about coming down here in November when the World Championship Races are going to be held in Key West, my boat is going to be racing down there.” Nick said as he stopped at the read light and had to wait for the bridge to go down before continuing on to the restaurant.
“ Really I heard that you had a team, I would love to see a race. When I was little I saw a race over in Sarasota.” Summer said as she took a hold of Nick's hand and held it.
Nick looked over to Summer and gave her a smile and he squeezed her hand before lifting it to his lips and gave it a kiss.
“ Hey maybe you can come to the next race with me it's going to be in South Carolina.” Nick said as he stopped a red light and was coming up to the road that he had to turn onto.
“ I wonder how Jenn is doing in California, man I wish I was there with her.” Nick thought to himself as he turned into the parking lot of the restaurant, which was right on the water.
“ Hey Nick are you there?” Summer asked as she looked over to Nick and notice that he was in somewhat deep thought.
“ What? Oh sorry, I was thinking of a friend of mine who is away on a project in California.” Nick said as he came out of his deep thought of Jennifer.
“ Oh ok I asked if you wanted to go to Treasure Island afterwards and play a game of mini-golf or something like that.” Summer asked as Nick pulled into an empty parking space.
“ Sure that sounds great, I haven't played mini-golf in a long time.” Nick said as he unbuckled his seatbelt and shut off the engine to the car.
“ Ok, I just hope there aren't to many people playing you know what I mean.” she said as she just remembered who she was with, and hope that his fans weren't around to bug them; so they could have fun together.
They got out of the car and headed into the restaurant, and they were seated right by the window so that way they could watch the boats coming into docks and into the bay.
After lunch they did head over to Treasure Island to play mini-golf but it started raining so they headed back to Summer's house. And since her parents where gone to Hawaii there wasn't anyone home so they were free to do any thing they wanted. So they spent the rest of the day in Summer's bed.
Nick was sitting on the deck of Summer's family's boat and they were about to head out to go down to the Keys for the week.
“ It's so great that you could join us for this week.” Summer said as she came up behind him and wrapped her arms around him.
“ It was nice that your father and mother had invited me. I can't wait to show you some of the reefs, they are beautiful.” Nick said as he pulled her around and pulled her down onto his lap.
“ Man I can't wait either, and maybe we could take on one of they ghost tours too. I hear there are lots of haunted places down there.” she said as her father was talking to one of the guys who's boat was docked next to theirs.
Then Nick heard some strange music and that's when he realized it was his cell phone ringing.
“ Hello?” Nick said as he reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone.
“ Hello, I'm looking for a Mr. Nickolas Carter?” the lady asked as she looked down at the phone number on sheet of paper that was in front of her.
“ Um... this is him... so how can I help you?” Nick asked as he looked at Summer and shrugged his shoulders when she mouthed who is.
“ Mr. Carter, this is Nurse Sara Mitchell at Emory Hospital.” she said as was trying to find a way to tell him about his friend.
“ Um... is there something wrong?” Nick asked wondering why a nurse calling him from a hospital unless.
“ Yes... sir there is.. we have a Ms. Fredrick here and we have to call the person who is on her emergency numbers to call.” the nurse said as she looked at the small card and looked for any other numbers but not finding any.
“ Ok I see, can you tell me what is wrong with Jenny?” Nick asked as he gently pushed Summer off his lap.
“ She was in an accident and at the moment she is in a coma.” the nurse said as read the chart that she pulled down from the shelf that was beside her.
“ Oh My, um... what about the baby... is it ok?” he said getting up out of the chair and heading to where Summer's dad was as he was loading the boat up.
“ Baby... Oh my we didn't know that she was pregnant, but I will go and let the doctor know right now.” the nurse said as she was about to hang up the phone.
“ Ok, I will try and get on the next flight out, and I will have a friend of mind take me to the hospital. I will be there in a few hours.” Nick said as he hung up his phone.
“ Ok Nick if you want to go and find a place to sit we will be leaving now.” Summer's dad said as he came onto the boat.
“ Um... I'm sorry sir... but there is an emergency and I have to leave... bye Summer I'll give you a call later... when I know what is going on with Jen.” Nick said as he turned to Summer and gave her a kiss goodbye, then he got off the boat and headed over to his car.
Getting into the car he opened the consult that was between the seats and found a small book that had phone numbers in it. Looking through he found the airline.
“ Thank you for calling Delta, the is Rena how can I help you.” the person on the other end of the line answered their phone.
“ Hello, I need the next flight out to Atlanta, there is an emergency there and I have to be there.” Nick said as he was getting a little upset.
“ Ok, well let see I have flight that is leaving in hour. I need the name and how you are going to pay for it.” the lady asked as she got on her computer.
“ Yes that would be fine, the name is Nickolas G. Carter. And I will pay cash for the ticket. And at the moment it will be one way flight.” Nick said as he started up the car and began heading for the airport.
“ Ok can you please spell your first name.” Rena said as she got to the space that called for first names.
“ Ok it's spelled N.I.C.K.O.L.A.S. And do you need my whole middle name?” Nick asked as he pulled onto the highway that headed towards the airport.
“ Ok, I just need the first letter of your middle name and last name, followed by your address and phone number please.” Rena said as she went over to the space on the computer.
“ Ok the middle name starts with the letter G, and the last name is Carter. The address is,1112 Jumana Loop, Apollo Beach.” Nick said as he got on to another road that will take him to the airport too.
“ Ok Mr. Carter how do you spell the road that you live on.” she asked as she got to the street line.
“ It's spelled J.U.M.A.N.A.” Nick said as he pulled into the next lane and sped up some so that way he could get to the airport faster.
“ Ok now I need a phone number please.” she asked as she came to the phone number line.
“ Um... it's unlisted and it's a private number really.” Nick said as he put the small booklet back into the consult.
“ Ok that's fine, I'll put N/A. Ok the price is $250.00 for one way. And it is a 45 minute flight.” Rena said as she started giving Nick instructions on how to get his ticket.
After getting the information on his tickets he hung up his phone and looked for another number.
“ Hello?” the female voice said as she answered the phone.
“ Hey Leigh, it's Nick.” Nick said as she turned into the lane that was the exit for the airport.
“ Hey Nick this is a surprise, so what I can I do for you. You sound upset.” Leighanne said as she gave Baylee his juice.
“ I will coming into Atlanta in about two hours, I have a friend who is was in an accident and she is in the hospital up there.” Nick said as he found the parking deck and stopped at the gate and punched the button to get a ticket.
“ Oh I see, I can have Brian pick you up at the airport and even take you to the hospital if you want him too.” she said as Brian walked into the room and gave her a look when she said his name.
“ Ok thanks that would be great. Well the plane leaves in hour and it's forty-five minute flight. So if he can meet me at the front that would be great and if he could take me to the hospital so I could be with Jenny.” Nick said as he found a space and parked into an empty space.
“ Ok I'll have him do that, and who is this Jenny that has you coming up here?” Leighanne asked and saw Brian shake his head when he listen to what Leighanne was asking Nick.
“ She is a close friend of mine, we grew up and went to school together, and that's all.” Nick said as he unbuckled his belt and got out of his car and made his way across the parking deck.
“ Ok I see, I'll see when you get here.” Leighanne said before hanging up her phone.
Nick walked into the building and he headed for the ticket counter.
“ Hello and how can I help you?” the lady at the counter asked Nick as he came up to the first class counter.
“ Um... yeah I talked to a Rena and she had booked a one way ticket to Atlanta.” Nick said as he looked for his ID and money.
“ Oh you must be Mr. Carter, yes I have your ticket right here, I just need to see some ID and you wanted to pay for this with Cash correct.” Rena asked as she pulled the ticket from the rack that held other tickets.
“ Yes ma'am I'm the one you talked to and here is the ID and yes it's cash.” Nick said as he handed her the ID.
“ Ok do you have any bags to check in?” she asked looking at him and noticed that he didn't have any bags with him.
“ As you can see I don't have any bags, I was on a boat about to head down to the Keys when I got a call saying a friend of mine is in the hospital. And I really need to get there as soon as I can.” he said getting a little more upset because he knows that Jenny needs him up where she is at.
“ Ok Mr. Carter, I'm sorry to hear about your friend, ok it will be $250.00 please.” she said as she gave him a warm smile to show him that she understood what he was saying and trying her best to get him to his friend.
After Nick paid for his ticket he left there and headed for a small restaurant so that way he could get him something to eat really quickly. Thirty minutes later he passed security and made his way to his gate. While he sat there his only thought was on Jenny and their baby, and hoping that both of them where going to be ok.
Hour and half later Nick was walking out of the airport in Atlanta and looking for Brian, just hoping that he didn't get stuck in the traffic that Atlanta is known to have.
Nick turned when a BMW pulled up to the curb and the horn honked before the window rolled down.
“ Yo Nick, hop in.” Brian yelled out the window as he leaned towards the passenger side so Nick could see him.
“ Hey Bri, thanks so much for doing this.” Nick said as he got into the car and buckled up.
“ Hey it's not a problem, this girl must really mean a lot to you for you to come all the way up here and to be with her while she is in the hospital.” Brian said as he pulled away from the curb and they headed off towards the express way.
“ Yeah, you can say I left one girl so I could be with Jenny.” Nick said as he stared out the window and not really seeing anything as Brian zoomed thru traffic.
“ Whoa that's deep Nick, do you love this girl that your going to see, and what about the person you just left.” Brian asked as he got into the HOV lane.
“ I'm not sure what I feel at the moment, you can say that yes I care very much for Jenny, but I'm not so sure about love. Oh man and I just left Summer with her parents we were all heading down to the Keys for the week. I'm I love Summer, but not with my heart you know what I mean.” Nick said as he sat there trying to figure out his feelings for both Jennifer and Summer and all he got was confusement.
“ Ouch, you where with a girl and her parents, I would say you were in deep there. Ok what hospital is your friend in, Leighanne just told me that you coming and to take you to a hospital she didn't say which one.” Brian said as he looked over to Nick and saw that he was trying to sort out his feelings for both girls.
“ Oh sorry um I believe the nurse said that she was at Emory Hospital. Do you know where it is?” Nick said as he began going over his feelings for Summer and coming up with just someone to fuck at the moment. And that he really didn't love her at all.
But as for Jennifer, that was going to take some really hard thinking over because his feelings for her was well something that he never truly felt before.
Brian just nodded and sped up as he took Nick over to one of the best hospitals around.
“ You don't have to come with me B-Rok.” Nick said as both him and Brian got out of the car and headed for the hospital.
“ I don't want you to face this alone Nick, I want you to know that I'm here for you and Jennifer.” Brain said as the walked into the lobby of the hospital and Nick made his way to the information desk.
“ Hey there and what can I help you with today?” the elderly lady asked Nick as he came up to her.
“ Um... Yes I'm looking for Ms. Jennifer Leigh Fredrick, she is a patient here.” Nick said as he gave the lady Jennifer's name.
“ Ok she is room 4040 in the ICU section.” the lady said as she looked up from the computer.
“ Thank you so very much.” Nick said as he and Brian went over to the elevators and waited for one of them to come to the lobby.
When and elevator came both of them got on and Brian pushed the 4 button and they headed up to the floor in total silence.
Once on the ICU floor they both headed over to the nurse's station and saw one of the nurses writing on a chart.
“ Um... hello?” Nick said as he tried to get the nurse's attention.
“ Oh hello can I help you sir.” she said looking up and then had a surprise look come across her face when she realized that Nick Carter and Brian Littrell of the Backstreet Boys were standing in front of her.
“ Um... yes I'm here to see Ms. Jennifer Leigh Fredrick.” Nick said as he gave the lady that famous Carter smirk.
“ Ms. Fredrick... oh I see here that she can only have family to visit her at the moment.” the nurse said as she looked up Jennifer's chart information.
“ Oh I see... when I got a call earlier asking me to come up here... and yes I'm family... for you see I'm her husband.” Nick said as he heard Brian cough in total surprise.
“ Oh ok then her room is right over there just follow me please.” she said as she got up and lead both Nick and Brian over to the close door that was across from the station.
“ Nick you never told me that you were married.” Brian said as they followed the nurse.
“ Well yeah you can say that I wanted it to keep quiet about it that's all.” Nick said as he walked into the room and saw Jennifer just laying there with a tube down her throat and IVs all over her arms.
Nick went over to Jennifer's side and took her hand and held it in his.
“ I'm here baby and I'm not going to leave you I promise.” Nick said as he leaned forward and whispered in her ear, and only he noticed that her eyes moved.
Brian just stood there and trying to get over the fact that his little bro was now a married man, and from what he saw he could tell that Jennifer was really different from all the other girls, Nick truly and deeply loved this girl now Nick just had to learn that for himself.
After Brian left Nick just laid his head down on the bed beside Jennifer and just praying that she will wake up and that their baby was going to be ok.
The doctor came in and told him that when she came in that she was bleeding and that they had stopped the bleeding and now it was only a matter of time to see if the baby survived.
And it later that night when Nick finally came to terms with his feelings for Jennifer and that he found out how deeply in love with her he was and that from now on he was going to be the best husband that he could be, and that he really wanted to make his marriage work.
An orderly came in with a small bed and the night nurse told Nick that he needed to go to sleep.
So he climbed on to the small cot pulled the covers over him and fell into a dreamful sleep that showed him what his and Jennifer's live could be like.
A very happy and complete life with each other and their children.