- Text Size +
Chapter 11

“ ICU this is Gillian.” I said as I answered the phone.
“ Hey Gillian this is Sabrina from ER, we have a pregnant woman that was in car accident and had emergency surgery to repair a torn spleen and liver and her doctor wants her to spend a few days up there so that way she can make sure there isn’t any other problems.” Sabrina said as she saw another patient come into the ER complaining of a stomach ache.
“ Ok I will have a room ready for her in an hour then.” I said looking over at Claudia.
“ Ok I will start on her transfer paper work then and see you guys in an hour.” Sabrina said as we hung up the phones.
“ I take it we are going to be busy tonight.” Claudia said as she picked up two charts and stood up.
“ Yeah we have a pregnant woman coming up here and she will be staying with us for a couple of days or so.” I said getting up and going to the room that the lady was going to be staying in.
An hour later the elevator doors opened and Sabrina came into the room with two orderlies and the bed that had the pregnant woman on.
“ Evening Sabrina please follow me and we so that way we can make Mrs. Carson here as comfy as possible.” I said getting up from my chair and coming over to the small group.
“ Evening and you must be Gillian it’s nice to meet you finally, that sounds great, I had already gave Mrs. Carson her meds so she really shouldn’t need anything for an hour or so, and we also have her hooked up to a fetal monitor to hear the baby’s heart beat too.” Sabrina said as I lead them over to the room that my new patient will be staying in for the next few days.
“ Ok that sounds great I did bring in monitor that we can use here so that way you can have yours back. And here we are a very comfy bed.” I said giving the poor lady’s hand squeeze.
And I just felt her give me a very light squeeze back to let me know that she still there with us.
It took me thirty minutes to get her all comfy and hooked up to all the machines and to let her know that if she need anything that I was just a button away.
I said goodnight and turned out the light so that way she could go back to sleep, I closed the door and headed over to the nurse’s station and sat down and began writing down stuff in her chart.
While I was helping her out we had other patient from the ER come up, and this was the person who was complaining about a stomach ache and well it turned out to be a intestinal blockage. Thank goodness Claudia was looking after that poor person.
“ Um… Sabrina are you doing anything this weekend?” I asked as we both stopped at the station.
“ Um… no not really, I was trying to think of something to do too, this is my first weekend off in a month, why do you ask?” she asked as signed her name on the chart as to let everyone know that she transfer Mrs. Carson’s care over to me.
“ Well I’m having some friends over and they all work here, some work in the ER during the day, and you may know them, Christine, and there are others from different departments too.” I said as Claudia came back and sat down.
“ She throws great get together to bad I can’t make it to this one. And it’s an honor to be invited trust me.” Claudia said as she opened her chart and began writing the vitals down.
“ Um… yeah a couple of people have told me about them, sure I would love to come.” Sabrina said as she gave me a big smile.
“ Ok it will start any time after twelve, and you bring anything you like, and if you have games bring them too and most important bring your swim suit.” I said giving her my number and address and time of the party.
“ Ok that sounds great see you then, and thank you so very much.” Sabrina said as she took the paper that I handed her and she turned and left the floor and headed back down stairs to the ER.
“ That was very nice of you to invite her, oh you got a call while you getting Mrs. Carson settled into bed, it was Nick.” Claudia said as she handed me my call messages.
“ Yeah I had seen her a few times when I came down there to see Christine when she was working down there. And she did have this lonely look about her so I thought I would make her feel less lonely you know what I mean. Ok I’m going to go to dinner then, and just let me know if Mrs. Carson needs anything.” I said looking at the messages and seeing that I had one from Nick and two from my mother.
“ Ok see you in an hour then have a great one and tell Nick I said hi.” Claudia said as gave me a huge smile.
I just nodded and went into the call room and sat down at the table and began eating my dinner and began making phone calls.
A week later Mrs. Carson was well enough to be moved down to the Maternity Ward to have her baby.
“ Hey Gillian I want you to meet Leia, she will be taking my place for awhile.” Lindsey said as I came over to the nurse’s station with Mrs. Carson.
“ Hey Leia it’s nice to meet you, I take it you are going with Alex.” I said handing the chart over to Lindsey.
“ Yeah and I can’t wait too, Leia is going to show you where which room to put Mrs. Carson in, we have everything set up for your little one.” Lindsey said as she nodded over to Leia who now had the chart in her hands and she was coming over to the wheel chair.
She lead us to one of the birthing rooms, and we helped put Mrs. Carson into the bed, and I said goodbye to her and Leia before heading back down to ICU.