- Text Size +
Chapter 15

“ Evening Gill, the only thing that has changed today is that little boy in C-6, he slipped into a coma and his mom has requested to take him off the support system so the only thing we can do is wait.” Christine said as I came into the nurse’s station.
“ Damn… ok thanks for the heads up, I feel for the mother because she too is here in the hospital, and is unable to be with her son, are you working tonight?” I asked as I saw that she was still sitting in the chair and not getting up like she does when her shift is over.
“ Yeah I’m working with you tonight Claudia’s grandmother got sick so she has been staying with her, why don’t you go and sit with the little boy and I’ll let his mom know that you are here with him ok.” Christine said as she got up headed out of the room.
I just sat there and prayed really can’t understand why a helpless child has to fight for his life and thought about his family, and how his mother can’t be with him because she up in the burn unit all because her ex-husband screwed with the gas line on the stove, so not only did he injure his wife but he hurt his son. I heard the door open and one of the new nurses came into the room and nodded to me as she went over to her locker.
I dried my tears and stood up and headed out of the room and over to desk and pulled out my charts and started going over them before I started my rounds.
Three hours later after I went over to the little boy’s room and pulled up the chair that was next to his bed.
“ Hey Tommy it’s me Gillian, your nurse. I’m here to stay with you for a little bit, you mom said that she wishes she could be here, but like you your mom is here in the hospital, but she is two floors up, and is stuck in bed.” I said as I took a hold of his small hand and held it.
I felt him give me a very small squeeze as to let me know that he understood what I was telling him, and that he was glad to have someone with him.
Twenty minutes later I felt his little hand go slack in mine and then the heart monitor went flat and then there was the code blue call come across to the nurse’s station and the room filled up with other nurses and two doctors as they tried to revive him, but there really wasn’t anything that anyone could do because we all knew that he had passed.
The only thing I could do was say a prayer of thanks, because now he was out of the pain that he was suffering from. Now the only thing that was left to do was tell his mother, and call the police to let them know that the boy had passed away so that way they could charge his father for his death.
I left the room and headed to the nurse’s lounge and it was there that I just broke down, and just cried, this is a second child that has died with in the past four weeks, but for some reason this one really has gotten to me.
“ Gillian are you ok sweetie.” Martha came in as she had heard that I was with the boy and she knew how he got close to me.
“ No I’m not ok… I just wish there was something we could have done for him.” I said as I started to cry even harder.
“ I know what you mean… I too wondered the same thing… why don’t you go on home we have enough people here tonight.” She said as she sat down beside me and rubbed my back.
“ Ok I think I will… um… no wait… I would like to have a couple of days off, I really need to clear my head because of what just happen here tonight.” I said as I wiped my eyes dried.
“ You have two weeks still left on you vacation, why don’t you take them, and you know your place is still here when you get back.” She said as she gave me a motherly smile and nod.
“ Thanks Martha I think I will do that.” I said getting up and going to my locker and getting my bag.
“ If you need anything just call ok.” Martha said as we walked out of the room and she walked with me to the elevator.
I got on lift and hit the down button, as I headed down I pulled out my phone and called Nick and knowing that it was early morning in Europe I knew that he would be up.
“ Hey baby this is surprise?” Nick said as he answered his phone.
“ Yeah well something bad happen tonight so I’m on my home.” I said as the elevator stopped on the main floor and I got off the elevator and made my way out of the hospital.
“ Oh really what happen because you sound very up set.” Nick said as he looked over at AJ who sat across from him at the table.
“ You know that little boy that I told you about, well he died tonight and I was with him when he did, and I was holding his hand too.” I said as tears started to come again.
“ Oh man… I’m so sorry to hear about that … so what are you doing now?” He asked as he poured cream into his coffee.
“ Martha told me to take the rest of my vacation days which is two weeks so that’s what I’m doing.” I said getting to my car and getting into it.
“ I see, well I have an idea come and join me on tour, because I really want to help you and hold you in your time of need.” He said as took a sip of his coffee.
“ That does sound great, but let me sleep over it and I’ll let you know tomorrow ok and I really would love to have you help me out too. Well I better get going before my phone dies, I forgot to charge it up, and I will have to charge here in the car.” I said starting up the engine and grabbing the charger cord.
“ Ok I need to go too because they are about to start the morning meeting and I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” He said before hanging up.
I hung up my phone and put it on the charger before pulling out of the parking lot and headed home.
I got home and made my way to the bathroom where I turned on the water in the tub and let it fill up before climbing into it so I could relax before going to bed.