- Text Size +
Chapter 17

I have only been here at work for and hour and I began thinking about what Nick and I talked about while I was with him on tour. And now I’m starting to realize that when that little boy died two weeks ago so did my passion for being a nurse is really gone. I just feel like I’m just really going through the motions and my heart isn’t in it anymore.
“ Martha can I talk to you please.” I said as I went to the door of the nurse’s lounge.
“ Sure Gillian, is there something wrong?” Martha asks as she saw me standing there at the door.
“ Yes and No, well while I was on vacation I really did some thinking, and with things that happen last week, it just hit me that I’m not really passionate about my work, so starting tomorrow I want to give you my two weeks notice.’ I said as I handed her the paper that I had in my hand.
“ I see, I was noticing that you really didn’t feel right about something, and I’m sorry that it has to be your nursing career, because you are one of the best nurses that I have seen in a very long time, and if you think it’s the best thing to do then I will miss you.” Martha said as she looked down at my letter.
“ Thank you and I will miss you too, but I think this is the best for me.” I said before heading back to my chair and looking over my charts before ordering my medications that I need for my patients.
“ Hey I’m so glad that tonight is so very slow.” One of the new nurses that started while I was away in Europe.
“ Yeah it usually starts out like this and then before midnight it gets really crazy, but let’s hope that it stays this way. I’m sorry I didn’t get your name.” I said as the young girl sat down beside me.
“ Oh I see, oh I’m sorry, I’m Maryanne and you must be Gillian.” The girl said as she held out her hand so I could shake it.
“ Yeah I’m Gillian, so when did you start working here?” I asked as closed on of my charts.
“ I started two weeks ago, or it will be on Tuesday they told me that you were on vacation.” Maryanne said as she put her charts down and began writing down the times she gave out the medications.
“ Yeah I went to see my boyfriend and spent some time with him.” I said just as a beep happen from one of the patients’ room.
“ Cool so what does you boyfriend do?” Maryanne said as I got up and went over to the intercom.
“ He is a singer and that’s all I’m going to say about him. Can I help you.” I said as I pushed the button to the intercom.
After talking to the patient I left the station and headed for the guy’s room, that’s because he was one of my patients.
“ Hey Mr. Holt how are we doing tonight.” I said coming up to the guy in the bed.
“ Hey …. I’m in pain so I want to know when I can have some medicine.” Mr. Holt said as he tried to sit up some.
“ I have your medicine on order all I’m doing now is waiting for them to up here and then I can give it to you when it comes ok.” I said helping him sit up and then fluffing up one of his pillows so that way I can put it behind his back.
“ Ok thanks, so when I can Ieave here?” he asked as he laid back against the pillows.
“ You have two more days here and then they will move up to a room upstairs.” I said checking his drip and making sure that there was still saline in the bag.
“ Oh man I really want to go home, I’m tired of being here.” Mr. Holt said as he let out his breath before closing his eyes.
“ I understand and I wish you could go home and be with your family but you need to get better before you can go home well let me go and see if your medicine is up here now.” I said as I headed for the door.
“ Ok.” Was all he said as I stepped out of the room and headed for the station and sure enough all my medications was there waiting for me so I can give them to my patients.
Six hours later I was walking out the door and to my car so I could head home from work after a very long night and I was lucky that I didn’t get any new patients but poor Maryanne wond up getting three patients so she had a very busy night while I get to sit back and had a very relaxing night.
I got home filled the tub up before heading off to bed and falling into a deep sleep.