- Text Size +
Chapter 5

I pulled into the employee’s parking lot and I drove around until I came to the space that I always park in when I work.
I got out of the car and made my way to the hospital building. I walked in and made my way to the elevator while I was there two girls came over to the elevator and stood next to me as we waited for the lift to come down.
“ I heard that he was in the ICU so we just have to find which room he is in that’s all.” One of the girls said as they were talking amongst themselves.
“ You think they may stop us from looking around for him?” the other girl said as the bell dinged and the doors opened up and a couple of people got off before we got onto the lift and I pushed the button that I knew where Nick was and the girls pushed a different button that had the ICU on that floor.
I got off the elevator when it stopped on the floor that I wanted, then I made my way over to the nurse’s station.
“ Morning Pam.” I said as I stopped next to the chair that was beside Pam.
“ Hey Gillian, Nick is eating his breakfast, and his parents along with one of his sisters are here too.” Pam said as she looked up from her notes.
“ Oh that’s cool, how did he sleep last night and is feeling better?” I asked as I saw a four people get off the elevator and headed over to room that was across from the station’s left side.
“ He was running a low grade fever, and he was still in pain but he keeps saying that he is fine, but like I said you can see the pain in his face or in his eyes.” Pam said as she picked up his chart and handed it over to me so that way I could look over it.
I sat down in the chair and began looking over the chart and I saw that his fever did start late last night but so far the fever never rose to a 100 or higher.
“ Thanks, well I’m going over to see him now, oh before I forget if two girls come down looking for a friend or a family member ask for ID’s, because they are not family or friends they are fans so please don’t let them near him.” I said as I also told her what these two girls looked like and Pam told me that she will make sure that they come near him.
“ He does start physical therapy today.” Pam said as the elevator stopped at our floor.
“ Oh he’s not really going to like that, um…those are the two I told you about.” I lean down and nodded to the girls that just came off the elevator.
“ Ok I do have the list that was given to us.” Pam said as she opened Nick’s chart and looked at the list that had names on it.
I just nodded as I was leaving I heard Pam ask the two girls if she could help them, and of course they said they were here to see a family member.
Pam asked if they knew what room the person was in and when they said no, because all they were told was their family member was in the hospital but wasn’t told room number, because he was in ICU but was moved to a private room, all they where told he was on this floor.
Then I heard her ask for the name of their family member and then for their ID’s, but that was all I heard because I tapped on the door and heard a come in.
I walked into the room and saw Nick’s parents and his youngest sister and brother.
“ Morning everyone, um… Gillian I was Nick’s nurse when he was down in ICU, well I stopped by to see how he was doing today.” I said as I walked into the room and looked at his parents, who nodded to me.
“ Oh I remember you please come in Gillian and take my chair.” Nick’s dad said as he stood up and pushed the chair over to me.
“ Thank you, but you can keep your chair, I’m only going to stay for a minute or two. Hey Nick how are you doing today?” I asked as I came up to the end of the bed.
“ Hey Gillian it’s good to see you again, I’m doing a little better, even though I still have some pain in my chest.” He said as he moved some and winsted some in pain.
“ That’s because you are still healing, um… Pam told me that you were running a little fever, she will bring something to bring something to lower it. And you also will start therapy today and speak of them now.” I said as there was a tap on the door and the orderly came in with the wheel chair.
“ Morning Gillian, um… have you lost your way?” the orderly said with a small laugh as he came into the room.
“ Morning James no I haven’t lost my way, I’m here seeing how my friend is doing that’s all.” I said as he brought the wheel chair further into the room.
“ I see, morning everyone, I’m here to take Mr. Carter down to his physical therapy.” James said as he said hello to everybody in the room before turning his attention to Nick.
Bob got up and moved the chair so that way James could bring the wheelchair closer to the bed, and went over to where Jane and the other kids were sitting on the other side of the room.
“ Um… do I really have to go, I don’t think I have the strength to get out of the bed.” Nick said as a scared look came across his face.
“ Nick if makes you feel any better I go down there with you.” I said trying to make him feel better about going down to physical therapy.
“ Yeah that sounds good.” He said looking at me and giving me a smile.
James got him into the chair and we left the room together, thank goodness the two girls where gone as we made our way down to the staff elevator.
We walked into the area of the hospital that has the physical therapy department was located.
“ Morning Jennette we have person for you, Nick this is Miss Jennette and she will be looking after you.” James said as he brought Nick into the room, and Jennette looked up from her paper work.
“ Morning James, hi there Nick it’s nice to meet you, so are you ready to get to work.” Jennette said as she came over to us and took Nick’s chart from him.
“ Um… hey, sure I guess.” Nick said in a whisper.
“ Ok, oh hey Gillian, what brings you down here.” Jennette asked as she saw me standing by the door.
“ Hey, I just came with James and Nick and to see who was going to be working with Nick.” I said as I nodded over to Nick.
“ I see, well I’m the one who will be working with him. Ok let’s bring Mr. Carter over to the mat please James.” She said as she began walking over to the matted area of the room.
“ I’m glad to hear that, Nick Jennette here is our best therapist around so you are in very good hands.” I said to Nick as I came up to him and turned him around so he was facing me.
Nick just nodded to me just before James lifted him up and they put Nick down on the mat.
I wonded up staying with Nick as he went through his therapy which lasted for and hour, then I went back with him to his room. After he was back in bed Pam came in with his pain medicine and he then went to sleep do to the medicine. I said bye to his family and left and head home so I could fix me something to eat for lunch.
Then after lunch I headed over to the beach and just laid out and enjoyed the rest of the day.