- Text Size +
Chapter 6

I was sitting at the nurse’s station when I heard someone clear their throat and I looked up and saw Nick’s dad standing there.
“ Mr. Carter how are you doing today?” I asked as I put the pen down and looked at him.
“ Morning Gillian, I’m doing fine, but I was wondering if you have heard anything about Nick?” he asked as one of the nurse’s techs came to the station and sat down and began looking over the notes that she had taken from her patient.
“ Um… no I haven’t been up there to see him yet and I had been out of town for the past three days, so I didn’t see him this weekend. So how is he doing?” I said as the girl that was under me came over with a chart and sat down and began entering the vital signs of a couple of the patients into the charts.
“ Well Pam is off today so that is why she hasn’t called you then, but late last night he began running a fever, and this morning it was really high, they called in a specialist a Dr. Brandon Stokes is taking care of him.” Bob said as he looked over at the other girls.
“ Dr. Stokes is one of our best doctors around. Oh man I didn’t know he was running a high fever, we know he was running a very low fever when I last saw him on Thursday.” I said as Angel came off the elevator and she had tears rolling down her face.
“ Hey Gillian, dad mom needs you upstairs, we had to leave the room because something has happen to him, and now they are calling for another doctor.” She said as she came up to her dad.
“ Oh dear, I guess I’ll be seeing you later, I better go and see what is going on and I’ll let you know ok.” Bob said as the phone began to read.
“ Ok here is the number to call down here.” I said as I began writing down the number to call, me to let me know what’s going on with Nick.
“ Um… Gillian one of the nurses on floor six wants to talk to you.” One of the techs said as she turned around and held out the phone to me.
“ Ok I’ll come up and see him when I have a lunch break.” I said as I took the phone and Bob just nodded and got on the elevator with Angel and they headed back up to Nick’s room.
“ Hello, this is Gillian how can I help you.” I said as I took the phone from the tech.
“ Hey Gillian this is Kelly I’m the nurse on floor five, I’m calling to see if you have any empty rooms, because we have to send a patient down there, because he is really ill.” Kelly said as she saw the father and sister going into one of the rooms.
“ Yes we have three rooms empty.” I said as I looked at the rooms and yes one of the rooms was a VIP room.
“ That is great I will let the doctor know, and we will be moving him down there with in an hour.” Kelly said as the doctor came out of the room of the patient that was going to be move back down to the ICU.
“ Ok all I need is the patient’s name and I will get the room ready.” I said getting the paperwork ready so I can plan which room I can get ready.
“ The last name is Carter and first name is Nickolas, and it’s spelled with a “K” and not a “H” or yeah he is a celebrity too, so there will be a list of people who can see him.” Kelly said as she was giving me the information, and when I heard the name tears began to fill up in my eyes.
“ Oh I will have the bigger room that we have down here ready for him.” Was all I said as entered Nick’s name into the computer.
“ Ok we will be there in hour then.” Kelly said before hanging up the phone.
I hung up the phone and just sat there for a few minutes trying to get over the fact that Nick was coming back down here because he was really sick.
“ Susan come with me please we have to get a room ready, because we have a new patient coming down from upstairs.” I said to my nurse’s tech.
We got up and headed over to the bigger room which was on the right side of the station.
As I was setting up the room I heard a knock and I looked up and saw a doctor standing there.
“ Um… hello, I’m looking for the patient that is supposed to be here.” The doctor said as he stepped into the room.
“ Oh… he is upstairs, he won’t be down here in an hour.” I said as I turned and told the doctor where his patient was.
“ Ok … well I guess I’ll see him when he gets here, oh I’m doctor Patrick Hatley, Dr. Stokes wanted me to monitor the patient’s heart because it sound very weak to him, and he also informed me that he just came out of a coma about four days ago.” He said as he stuck out his hand for me to shake.
“ It’s nice to meet you Dr. Hatley, I’m Gillian and I’m the head night nurse here, and he will be under my care.” I said shaking his hand.
“ Ok but it’s day time?” Dr. Hatley said as he looked out the window.
“ I know I’m filling in for the head day nurse today, she had a family thing this morning.” I said as Susan finished with the bed.
“ Oh I see so you will be with him at night then?” he asked as we walked out of the room.
“ Yes I will be here tomorrow night and for the rest of the week.” I said as we came to the station and I sat down in the chair that I was sitting in before.
“ Ok that’s great to hear, well I’ll be back in an hour or so, I will be making my rounds can you give me a call when the patient is in his room.” He said before heading towards the elevator.
I just nodded and went back to entering the stuff that I had written down, into some of the other patients’ charts.
An hour later two orderly came out of the elevator with a bed between them, and was followed by family members of the patient that was coming to our floor.
“ Oh My God! That’s Nick Carter.” I heard one of the nurse’s tech say.
I turned around and saw that one of the girls pull out her phone.
“ Don’t even think about it, and if I find anything on the net about him being back down here, then you will be finding yourself out of the hospital.” I said glairing at the girl who put her phone back in her purse.
“ Which one of us will be looking after him.” One of the girls asked as she turned to me.
“ None of you will be looking after him, it will be me at night, and Claudia during the day, and she will be back tomorrow.” I said just as Frank came off the elevator carrying what looks like his lunch.
“ Hey Gillian, I can’t believe that we are back here again. Wait a minute what are you doing here, I thought you worked at night.” He said as he looked straight at me.
“ Hey Frank, I’m filling in for Claudia today, she had something come up this morning, but I will be here tomorrow night.” I said looking away from the girls and lead the way to the room that Nick was in.
“ That’s great news, have they said what is causing this fever?” he asked as the orderlies came out with the bed.
“ No not yet, but I’m sure we will know either tonight or tomorrow, what is causing this problem.” I said as I walked into the room.
“ Gill, hey man I feel awful.” Nick said as I walked into the room.
“ Hey Nick, I bet you do, I’m going to get you some medicine that will break your fever some ok, and I will see when was the time you had your pain medicine and I will get that if it’s time.” I said going over to him and taking a hold of his hand and giving it a squeeze.
“ Ok that sounds great… um… can you get me something …. I feel like I’m going to be sick to my stomach.” He said as he pulled his hand out of mine and put it up to his mouth as he was about to throw up.
I grabbed the garbage can that was behind me and held under his chin as he began to throw up.
“ I’m also going to get something for your stomach too, I’ll be right back.” I said as Jane came over and took the garbage can from me and I headed out the door and over to the nurse’s station.
I grabbed Nick’s chart and began looking at it and I did see that it was time for his pain medicine so I called down to the pharmacy and ordered the medicine that I needed to give to Nick.
Ten minutes later his medicine was sent up from the pharmacy and I went to Nick’s room and began putting Nick’s medicine into his IV.
“ Thank you.” Was all Nick said as he drifted off to sleep.
“ I’m going to be right out here if you guys need any thing, I’m going to close the blinds here and crack the door, that’s because of the nurse’s techs are fans and I don’t want them staring at him and making sure they won’t take pictures, I have warned them about will happen to them if I hear or see anything on the net about him being here.” I said as I shut the blinds before I walked out of the door.
“ Thanks Gillian for everything that you have done for him.” Jane said as she took my hand and held it.
“ Your welcome, all I’m doing is my job, well I do have to make my rounds one more time before the night nurse comes in, she will Claudia.” I said opening the door and stepped out.
Jane just nodded and I cracked the door and went back to the nurse’s station just as Doctor Hatley along with Claudia, where coming off the elevator.
“ Evening Gillian, what’s going on here?” Claudia asked as she came around the desk and coming over to one of the chairs so she could put her bag in the safe.
“ Hey Claudia, well you can say Mr. Carter is back, but this time it’s something else, everything will be in his chart, I was about to write down the times that I gave his medicines, and his family is here.” I said sitting down and opened up the chart.
Twenty minutes later I was finishing up my rounds just as Marcus came in and the techs left after he told them the same thing that I had told them earlier, but he also added there would be a law suite too.
And hour and thirty minutes later I was walking into my house and making myself a hot bubble bath, I grabbed a glass of wine and then got into the tub, and just soaked and relaxed before going to bed.